Tube amp. Live it on?
Aug 13, 2002 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Ari

500+ Head-Fier
Dear Head-fellows!

Day one with my first HP AMP !! A micro-ZOTL.

Do I live it on all the time?

Thanks!

Ari
confused.gif

Aug 13, 2002 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 15
From what I've heard, tube amps sound best after warm up. But a half hour to and hour should be ok. So, just flick it on, take a shower, post here, then listen.
smily_headphones1.gif
After that, report back and tell us all about it.

Aug 13, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 15
There's no right answer to the question. The major shock that tubes take is the thermal cycle of turning on/turning off. There's no question that constant turning on/off wears out tubes more quickly. However, tubes also wear from constant use, so there's no right answer to the question. I generally turn my ZOTL off, but turn it on early in the evening when I get home from work, if I'm going to listen to it. I then leave it on until I'm completely done listening, and turn it off for the night. The ZOTL does sound better when it's warmed up for a time, but mine works very well with minimal warm up (30 seconds and it's ready to go).

Aug 14, 2002 at 3:48 AM Post #5 of 15
Depends on the tubes you use...

I would say that if you use NOS tubes (especially the expensive and rarer ones), apart from 1/2 to 1 hours for warm-up, you should avoid leaving it on for longer than neccessary. Since I understand that NOS tubes were constructed better than the majority of new tubes, I would think that they would be able to handle the major shock of being turned on and off, as mentioned by Hirsch, much better than new tubes.

On the other hand, if you are using new tubes (i.e. non-NOS which are realtively cheaper and more readily available), I see no harm in leaving them on, although you must be prepared for a much shorter lifespan.

Aug 15, 2002 at 9:59 AM Post #7 of 15
No problems, Ari.

BTW, I noted from your profile that you listen to Bosa Nova music.

I've been listening to quite a lot if it lately, and have been enjoying it very much...IMHO one of the best ways to relax after a long day at work
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2002 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 15
According to the ZOTL manual, the ZOTL is very easy on tubes. If it is used for several hours a day, Berning says to expect a tube life of between ten and twenty years. We can only hope...

Aug 16, 2002 at 1:13 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by ze-ant
No problems, Ari.

BTW, I noted from your profile that you listen to Bosa Nova music.

I've been listening to quite a lot if it lately, and have been enjoying it very much...IMHO one of the best ways to relax after a long day at work
smily_headphones1.gif

Tell me who you like and I send a selection CD !! BN is cool !!

Tom Jobin, Carlos Lira, Sergio Mendes, Nana Cayme, Caetano Veloso, Chico Buarque, Ivan Lins, MPB4, Quarteto em Si and a lot more...

If you do not know then, I can make some sugestion !

Best

Ari

Aug 16, 2002 at 1:15 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
According to the ZOTL manual, the ZOTL is very easy on tubes. If it is used for several hours a day, Berning says to expect a tube life of between ten and twenty years. We can only hope...

Hi Hirsch !

And I gona start some TR....

biggrin.gif

Ari

Aug 23, 2002 at 6:35 AM Post #11 of 15
I say leave it on, but make sure you have it plugged in to a surge protection device. I have definitely noticed an improvement after the initial warm-up, but I noticed a "secondary" improvement on the second day (I.E. after 24 hours). Some others on this site I believe noticed a deterioration after leaving it on for a week, so based on that, it might still be wise to turn it off every once in a while. I would say use your own ears.

Aug 23, 2002 at 2:26 PM Post #12 of 15
The current surge when cold through a cold filament does shock the tube a bit. Another thing is if the design uses an "instant on" solid state rectifier in the power supply.....instant plate voltage to a cold tube is also not really an ideal condition.

Also, tube equipment can run hot, and the expansion and contraction on all components can stress them.

I would say, leave it on a while at first...tubes really do have a break in period. Then, after that, do what ever is convenient.

Aug 24, 2002 at 5:05 AM Post #13 of 15
Wow. Tubes sound a lot like lava lamps. It takes a good hour of heating up to get the lava flowing properly, but leave it on all the time, and the lava will get grainy and gritty, and not flow properly.

If I ever get a tube amp, I will put it next to my lava lamp. I'm sure they'll understand each other.

P.S. Anyone ever try to mod a large tube into a lava lamp? Just a thought...

Aug 25, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #15 of 15
Thanks everybody !!

What I'm doing is: I get home, flip it on. Sleep, flip it off...

I'm having a really good time w/ this little ZOTL... Discovering new sounds and details...rediscovering my old cd collection...

Best from

Ari

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back