Tube Amp Ideas Roughly Around $2000
Dec 19, 2020 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BlairW

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi community!

I have an RME ADI-2 FS PRO BE and am looking for a nice desktop tube amp around $2000 to power my headphones

I have for Cans:
Abyss Diana Phi
ZMF Verite C
Audeze LCD-X

I am wondering what would be a good tub amp pairing to go with my DAC
I am looking for something with a balanced output, RCA and XLR inputs (Balanced out from my DAC and Unbalanced from my record player).
I am willing to tube roll with some suggestions and time
I currently own a WA11 but I'm looking for something a little more beefy and desktop oriented. I am going to be getting a desktop SS amp in a few months but I figured a tube amp would be more fun to get first.
I am looking to get the best bang for my buck and am willing to go above the price I listed if it's worth it.
I know the Diana Phi can be picky headphones and it is hard to find an amp that also works well with my Verite Closed

Could anyone help me out with this?
What are some recommendations for the community in this range?
Cheers

Dec 19, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 9
I would check out the following amps:

ZMF Pendant (Neutral, fast, dynamic sound)
DNA Starlett (would work less well with the Planars than the Pendant probably, but would do wonders with the Verite. More classic tube sound, but still fairly neutral..."Sweeter" and a tad bloomier than Pendant though).
Mjolnir 2 (Cheaper option but worth looking into. Somewhat etchy treble but extremely dynamic and hard hitting bass)
IHA-1 Inspire Amp (Very easy to tube roll to significantly change sound on this one)

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 9
I would check out the following amps:

ZMF Pendant (Neutral, fast, dynamic sound)
DNA Starlett (would work less well with the Planars than the Pendant probably, but would do wonders with the Verite. More classic tube sound, but still fairly neutral..."Sweeter" and a tad bloomier than Pendant though).
Mjolnir 2 (Cheaper option but worth looking into. Somewhat etchy treble but extremely dynamic and hard hitting bass)
IHA-1 Inspire Amp (Very easy to tube roll to significantly change sound on this one)
The ZMF pendant interests me but it is unbalanced, would that really make a difference? I would have to go from TRS/XLR out to the pendant which has RCA inputs.
Any experience with the Manley Absolute? or any of the Ampansound products other than the pendant?

Dec 19, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 9
The ZMF pendant interests me but it is unbalanced, would that really make a difference? I would have to go from TRS/XLR out to the pendant which has RCA inputs.
Any experience with the Manley Absolute? or any of the Ampansound products other than the pendant?

Balanced should only make a difference if your Dacs balanced outs are notably better than their single ended ones. Not sure about that with RME Adi, but definitely worth looking into.

Dec 20, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 9
Do you have any idea where would I be able to find a cable that goes from TS to RCA that is a decent quality?

Dec 22, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 9
3 options slightly above your budget for ~2500$ are

Cayin Ha-6a
Woo Audio WA 22
Feliks Euforia 20th anniversary Edition.

All 3 are really good but with different sound signatures.
My fav is the Cayin and also the amp I personally own of these

Dec 22, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #7 of 9
I would caution against the Euforia. It's an excellent amp in many respects, but it doesn't really work with a wide variety of headphones: it has an extremely gooey, rich, warm sound (basically, the sound you think of when you hear about tube amps, but juiced up), which synergizes really well with certain headphones but really poorly with others. I don't think it would be a good match for the Verite.

Dec 22, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 9
Any thoughts on the Ampandsound Mogwai SE vs the Cayin HA-6A?

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 9
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back