Tube amp. I think i may have received a used tube?
Apr 26, 2015 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kaneanites

New Head-Fier
So I just received my DarkVoice 336SE Headphone Tube Amplifier, and this is my first tube amp purchase (aside from the used Bravo Audio V2 Class I got a few months back.) When i got the tube out of the box, I noticed the model number is all scratched up and eaten away, also the bottom of the tube itself had this black burnt thing to it (please check this link to see what I am talking about) http://oi62.tinypic.com/vgmvkl.jpg 

Is this a normal thing for a new tube out of the box to look like that? Since tubes have somewhat of a short life cycle, I'd like to know if that were the case so I can contact the seller as soon as possible.

Any feedback is appreciated,

Thanks,

Apr 26, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 8
Don't worry about the colouring, what does it sound like?

Apr 26, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 8
Oh it sounds absolutely amazing, I am just worried about the lifetime if it was being used before.

Great amp btw, making everything I throw at it sing.

Thanks for the feedback.

Apr 26, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 8
I wouldn't worry about it.  Could be a NOS tube, and any tube thats pre-tested may have some form of discoloration inside.

Regarding tubes and short life-spans, that gets largely exaggerated and its incorrectly generalized across the www.  The reality is that tubes can last a VERY-very long time.

Anyways, just enjoy the amp... its a good one.

Apr 26, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 8
I believe that's a 6N5P tube.  Both tubes in the DarkVoice 336se tube amp are Chinese manufacture. Russia may have made the 6N5P, whereas the 6N8P is totally Chinese manufacture.  The point is ... neither should be NOS.  They are both current manufacture tubes.

I would contact DarkVoice and ask for a replacement - period.  You should expect nothing less than perfect tube condition with current manufacture tubes.

Apr 26, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 8
hmm I thought something was off..both were dirty and looked used out of the box. The smaller one even had a bit of rust formed around it and it was right down dirty around the pins (here's a pic) http://oi58.tinypic.com/majxpk.jpg

I just contacted Amazon support and was hoping the seller would send replacement tubes, but that wasn't possible. Being that I live in the middle east, it would be unpractical to have the item returned, would cost me a fortune. At the end, we settled on a 50$ refund..better than nothing I suppose.

Everything sounds great with the amp though, it's as if I bought a 250$ used one!

Thanks for the feedback,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back