Tube Amp for Grado SR325is/A MS-2
Sep 15, 2009 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Ozer

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, posted a thread here before about what amp I should get, but I got commanded to look up more witch headphones to get before asking for amp
darthsmile.gif

I havn't really desided yet witch headphone, but I only choose between Grado SR325is or Alessandro MS-2... I thought they were so close that I could ask about amp now anyways... But I was hoping somebody could give their thought on with headphone to get also.....

I'm a BIG fan of Paramore ( \m/ )and listens to them VERY much.... So I want an amp that is good for them mainly.... But I also listen to other rock bands like Foo Fighters, Linkin Park and Bloc Party....

The amp should be an A-class Tube amplifier.
I don't like too bright sound.... But not too bassy either...
I should be able to have high volumes without much loss in sound quality
It should cost around 400~500 US$

I forgot to mention that I think I need a Dac also... Are there any cheap, but good ones ? I heard Zero Dac should be good.... But are Dac's that cheap much better than my soundcard in my computer (Auzentech Prelude 7.1) ?? I have budget around 1000 $ (not sure, cuz selling to get it...) and I don't think I want to get a cheaper amp than needed just to get a good Dac.... So the Dac should cost at most 200 $

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, posted a thread here before about what amp I should get, but I got commanded to look up more witch headphones to get before asking for amp
darthsmile.gif

I havn't really desided yet witch headphone, but I only choose between Grado SR325is or Alessandro MS-2... I thought they were so close that I could ask about amp now anyways... But I was hoping somebody could give their thought on with headphone to get also.....

I'm a BIG fan of Paramore ( \m/ )and listens to them VERY much.... So I want an amp that is good for them mainly.... But I also listen to other rock bands like Foo Fighters, Linkin Park and Bloc Party....

The amp should be an A-class Tube amplifier.
I don't like too bright sound.... But not too bassy either...
I should be able to have high volumes without much loss in sound quality
It should cost around 400~500 US$

I forgot to mention that I think I need a Dac also... Are there any cheap, but good ones ? I heard Zero Dac should be good.... But are Dac's that cheap much better than my soundcard in my computer (Auzentech Prelude 7.1) ?? I have budget around 1000 $ (not sure, cuz selling to get it...) and I don't think I want to get a cheaper amp than needed just to get a good Dac.... So the Dac should cost at most 200 $

Grado's really synergize really well with Mapletree amps. My RS1s and my Mapletree Ear+HD amp sound magical together!

Sep 15, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado's really synergize really well with Mapletree amps. My RS1s and my Mapletree Ear+HD amp sound magical together!

Thanks for tip, but it costs 600 US$ .... Too high
ph34r.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #5 of 19
Maybe the Little Dot series has something for you.
Viewing a thread - Little Dot Models and Pricing Index

I just got a sr32is and im running it from a Little Dot MKIII($250 shipped) and my stuff(basicly all heavy and extreme metal) sounds kick-ass out of it. Although i don't have much with Paramore, it does sound good on this set-up. And i can only imagine it would be better going higher up the ladder, like the MKIV($289) or the MKIV SE($389) both ex shipping.
Or the amps from Woo-audio or Darkvoice, they seem to pretty good too.

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #7 of 19
Ok so maybe like this

Computer > ? (Dac) > Darkvoice 3322 > Grado SR325is/Alessandro MS-2....

I need tips on Dac for at most 300 US$, should I connect the Dac with optical from my soundcard or with USB-cable ?? And I still havn't got any tips on the headphones... I know it's much from person to person, but one of them should be a little better than the other for my music type...

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #8 of 19
i have sr325iS, HF-2 and previously had ms2i ... Little Dot mk ll with stock driver tubes 6Ji and tube rolling with Mullard ef91 and Mullard ef92 driver tubes produce pleasing and detailed SQ as per my ears and preferred music .. do not take my words.. you may audition and see if this amp suit your taste
wink.gif

btw, most often i listen to rock, pop, new wave, new age music, disco music

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #9 of 19
From what ive heard the the alessandro's are more laid back than the SR325is, so for rock/metal or a hybryd of the two i would say SR325is. Coming from the LD MKIII they are not bright at all.

As for the dac, Beresford should be a good start i think. Though ive heard there can be some issues with him.
Beresford TC-7510 $170 Home HI-FI
There is a topic in the source forum with tons of dacs.http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/all...an-buy-197674/

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #10 of 19
As far as components are concerned, I'd actually advise you to spend the lion's share of your budget on a decent source. That purchase can go a long way.

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #11 of 19
Try Audiogon for the DAC, some really good deals pop up from time to time. And I'd avoid the Little Dot MKIII if you're going Grados. Wasn't a fan of it when I took a listen to my friend's.

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #12 of 19
About a week ago there was an Oritek Dac w/ the amp module on sale here for about $550. Having owned one it is a very nice sounding unit and warm for an SS amp section. It will be a very nice dac/amp combo.

There is also a dac only Oritek which if matche w/ a Mapletree Ear + HD amp would be a very nice combo. BTW, there is a Mapltree being sold in Audiogon.

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #13 of 19
I've only found good things on the Darkvoice 3322 amp on the forum, and I'm pretty sure about that one now...

On the Mapletree, I havn't found anything on that one right now... Found something yesterday, but according to that page they cost 600+ US$.... Hope that was wrong, if it was, please help me find the right source...

I don't like Audiogon, cuz I don't like to buy stuff like this from other persons...
atsmile.gif

Where can I find price and a shop to buy "MHdt Constantine +" ?? Looks really good.... Are they good sounding too ??

I've checked the Dacs you've posted and some others on the list somebody posted before.... But it's really hard to know witch are good, cuz there are over 9000 thousands of Dacs to choose from...... And everybody says different..

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've checked the Dacs you've posted and some others on the list somebody posted before.... But it's really hard to know witch are good, [....] And everybody says different..

Exactly, the only one person who can tell if you like a component is yourself. Its all in the ear of the beholder. The best option is to find a store and audition.
The V-Dac has gotten some pretty good responses here too btw

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly, the only one person who can tell if you like a component is yourself. Its all in the ear of the beholder. The best option is to find a store and audition.
The V-Dac has gotten some pretty good responses here too btw

About the V-Dac.... Is it really that small as it looks ?? It looks like a 60 dollar Dac, but it's like 400 dollars.... Does it fit everything every other Dac's have in that small box ??
bigsmile_face.gif
But I guess they just didn't have components that are unnecessary....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back