Tube amp for DT880
Mar 24, 2006 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dk123

100+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to pick an amp to use with my DT880 and DialogueII DAC. I was going to get something solid state, but I am tempted to try tubes or hybrid. I don't want to spend much over $500, if I can avoid it, which makes the Woo3 a logical choice. Other options are the Headroom Millet Hybrid, or perhaps the new Mapletree amp, or the PPX3, but those are all more than I want to spend. Just looking at the specs, it seems like if I don't need/want the extra features that the Headroom Millet offers, the Woo3 might be a better sounding amp, but I'm not sure if that's actually the case, and the features the Headroom offers are tempting. Also, would any of these amps work well with Grados, or even IEMs? Any other possibilities to consider?

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:18 AM Post #2 of 3
After buying my DT-880 I spent a long time deciding on an amp reading everything I could find.

In the end I bought the Woo which I love but wanted to add crossfeed so I added a Corda Cross-1. If you want crossfeed you might want to consider the Millet Hybrid. I've not yet compared the Meier crossfeed to the Headroom crossfeed, but I'm waiting on my Micro Amp...

Mar 24, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 3
I can heartily recommend the Earmax Pro for pairing with the DT880. The beyer's midrange tends to be a bit on the dry side and the EMP does an admirable job of fleshing it out. If you're patient, good used ones turn up from time to time and generally sell for around what you're looking to pay.

A lot of folks on Head-Fi have commented very favorably on the Corda Aria for DT880s. I know it's not tubed but it is in the right ballpark price-wise and it does have crossfeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back