Tube Amp for DT770 Pro 80
Jun 5, 2014 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

hanson72

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I just recently got me a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm. I have only had them for a few days, but I am really enjoying them so far! The slight complaint I have with them is the brightness. The highs are a bit too much for at times. I am used to my Sennheiser HD598's and Shure SE215's and the warmer sound signature that they have. I got the DT770's because of all the great things I've read about them, and I wanted a pair of good closed cans to use at my office. I have been using them with a new MacBook Air, which actually does a pretty good job driving them.

So my question is for anyone that has used a pair of DT770's with a tube amp and if it warmed up the sound a bit and made the highs not so bright. I know the specific tubes in the amp also make a difference so if you could recommend a tube amp and specific tubes that will get that job done, that would be great! I used to own the Little Dot MKIII, which was fun, but I sold that off because I was in need of some cash for a new Macbook for a job I took on.

As far as price goes, I'm really not looking to spend a huge amount. I am planning on getting higher end headphones down the road too like some HD650s.

Let me know what you guys think would help!

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #2 of 9
On Amazon Bravo Audio sells a few tube headphone amplifiers, like the Bravo Ocean ($120) or Bravo V2 ($62).
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2QKSVI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2MOLN1AV11M0&coliid=I30L6TOF64U0F5
Weird, never though of the Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones as too bright.

Jun 6, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #3 of 9
Yeah I've been looking into both of those actually and they seem pretty nice for the price!

But yeah the DT770's highs make my eyes blink at times, its not horrible. I just want to warm the sound up just a touch.

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 9
  Yeah I've been looking into both of those actually and they seem pretty nice for the price!

But yeah the DT770's highs make my eyes blink at times, its not horrible. I just want to warm the sound up just a touch.

You might consider play somewhat loud audio thru them over night, a few times.
See if the sound improves.
But I would also say to just go ahead and get the Bravo Ocean, Beyers DT770s like a decent amount of juice to sound their best.

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 9

You might consider play somewhat loud audio thru them over night, a few times.
See if the sound improves.
But I would also say to just go ahead and get the Bravo Ocean, Beyers DT770s like a decent amount of juice to sound their best.

I have been letting them play even when I am not listening to them, I will keep that up through the weekend. It actually has been taming the highs a bit.

I will look into the Ocean some more and see if there are some nice tubes to pair with it to get me the sound signature I am looking.

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #6 of 9
Try to burn in the headphone for at least 150-250 hours. I have an DT-990 Pro which also has a spike in the upper frequencies when I listened to it right out of the box. After burning it in, I felt that the treble has somewhat smoothened. But do try it and see the results for yourself.

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #7 of 9
  Try to burn in the headphone for at least 150-250 hours. I have an DT-990 Pro which also has a spike in the upper frequencies when I listened to it right out of the box. After burning it in, I felt that the treble has somewhat smoothened. But do try it and see the results for yourself.

Yeah I have noticed the treble has smoothed out, or my ears have gotten used to it.

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #8 of 9
Feb 21, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #9 of 9
What did you end up getting to power your DT770's? I've got the exact same models and have been considering the multitude of affordable tube amps.

Are you happy with what you purchased? Have you been trying out a lot of different tubes to find the perfect match?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back