Tube Amp For AKG 501's
Aug 7, 2002 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking for a tube amp suggestions for AKG 501's. Considering MG Head OTL or Earmax, Earmax Pro. I know the Creek OBH-11 is a nice Solid State match.

Aug 7, 2002 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 18
While I still had the K501, I'd tried them with MG Head. Though it was quite OK, I don't recommend them together. I beleive K501 should have more potential with other amps. But I don't know which one as MG Head is the only tube amp I have heard
rolleyes.gif
. Just to give some input.

John

Aug 8, 2002 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 18
I haven't experimented much with the AKG K501. Dunno if it is characteristic of the product line, but the K1000 seems to do better with solid state amplification than tube amplification. Perhaps it is the same with the K501?

Hmmmmm.... you could always give the Mapletree Ear+ a try. It's got big output iron.
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2002 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 18
Although the K501 likes power and is the same impedance as the K1000, they are completely different in terms of real power requitements. The K1000 requires 1000 times the power that the K501 requires to achieve the same volume level so they're really entirely different beasts. They're also completely different in sound character. FWIW, I thought my K501 sounded terrible with the MG Head.

Aug 8, 2002 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 18
I've been listening to 501's on an X-Cans V2.

I'm very happy with the smooth highs and sweet mids, but I've got to admit (please don't hurt me for saying this....you know who you are) I'm a bit disappointed with the bass. I don't know if this has more to do with the amp, tubes in general, or the headphones. I suspect it's a little of each.

If you are looking for skull-cracking bass, I'm thinking that the 501's with tubes are the wrong choice in general...but someone, please, tell me if I'm wrong.

evil_smiley.gif

Aug 8, 2002 at 12:17 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
If you are looking for skull-cracking bass, I'm thinking that the 501's with tubes are the wrong choice in general...but someone, please, tell me if I'm wrong.

It is possible to get "skull-crackling bass" from the K501s but it'll probably require a "right" kind of amp + some signal processing (adding bass) in order to lure the bass properly out of it's cage
smily_headphones1.gif

Creek OBH-11 didn't do it for me (returned it) but some have reported success with the OBH-11 SE which is more expensive than the basic model.

Maxi

Aug 8, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 18
Just curious but... has anyone tried the K501 with the microZOTL?

Aug 8, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Maxi

It is possible to get "skull-crackling bass" from the K501s but it'll probably require a "right" kind of amp + some signal processing (adding bass) in order to lure the bass properly out of it's cage
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm wondering if adding an X-Tone (if I can find one for a reasonable price
mad.gif
) might help. Seems like it might gum up the signal, but I just don't know. Anyone???

Maybe I should just buy another set of headphones for listening to hefty bass...but I just LOVE the sweet mids that these things put out!!!

smily_headphones1.gif
confused.gif

Aug 8, 2002 at 10:43 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
The RKV helped improve the bass response of the 501 noticably, but it is still a tiny bit light. The 501 has virtues in other areas such as its prominent midrange and a sweet tonality.

Yes it does....
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2002 at 9:15 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom

Maybe I should just buy another set of headphones for listening to hefty bass...but I just LOVE the sweet mids that these things put out!!!

smily_headphones1.gif
confused.gif

That's exactly the reson I still use the K501s for music and the DT531s for movies. I'm not willing to trade the sweet mids & clarity for better bass reproduction. ATM I'm happy with the bass that equalizing gives to me but still I can't stop wondering: could I get even more?

Guess there's no easy way out of this...

Maxi

Aug 9, 2002 at 2:35 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Just curious but... has anyone tried the K501 with the microZOTL?

i believe i have tested it before and i remember it sounding like it does out of the mg head.. maximum suck.

Aug 9, 2002 at 3:02 PM Post #14 of 18
A combination that sounds very good is the AKG 501 and the grado headphone amplifier. It still does not match the bass of Sennheiser 600's but the overall balance is better.

Aug 9, 2002 at 4:00 PM Post #15 of 18
I've been listening to the Melos/501 lately, and although its not a tube amp, it comes close. This combination works well, I think. It might be characterized as having a great sense of tone, detail, and speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back