Tube Amp for a maximum of $300
Jul 5, 2010 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Aquanote

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there.

So far I´ve been using the amp out of my Asus Essence but want to try something new.

There´s just too many amp models right now which gets praised and it hard for me to differeciate

Why tube? because I like the looks.

right now I´m using my DT880 250OHm but will definatly try other $200+ phones with that amp I´ll be buying.

so far I only looked into the little dot MK2 and MK3...

Jul 5, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 33
I have the same question.  I am currently powering my new DT 880's with an astro mixamp, which does fine, but damn headfi.... now curiosity has me and I'm also thinking about getting a tube amp for them.  When you do a search here there seem to be alot of DIY solutions and too many recommendations.  I would like to find a tube amp I can just google shop for. :) 

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 33
I'm considering Starving Student Hybrid, Mini Millet Max and the G&W T-2.6F.

My cans are low impedance though.

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #5 of 33

I have the same question.  I am currently powering my new DT 880's with an astro mixamp, which does fine, but damn headfi.... now curiosity has me and I'm also thinking about getting a tube amp for them.  When you do a search here there seem to be alot of DIY solutions and too many recommendations.  I would like to find a tube amp I can just google shop for. :) 

Unfortunately, it is not that easy. Lot's of different topologies and implementations depending upon desired sound, impedance of headphones and depth of pocket book. If you do not want to DIY, then start out with one of the cheaper Chinese tube amps and see if you like it. You can get a Darkvoice, Ming-Da or similar for a small outlay of cash. Even a Woo3 is not out of the question. Suggest you check out Skylabs thread on recommendations. It is well written and compares many amps in many price points.

Just a suggestion.

jk

EDIT:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/402585/review-summary-a-ranking-of-22-tube-and-tube-hybrid-headphone-amps

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 33
Little Dot LD MK III

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 33

Quote:
Unfortunately, it is not that easy. Lot's of different topologies and implementations depending upon desired sound, impedance of headphones and depth of pocket book. If you do not want to DIY, then start out with one of the cheaper Chinese tube amps and see if you like it. You can get a Darkvoice, Ming-Da or similar for a small outlay of cash. Even a Woo3 is not out of the question. Suggest you check out Skylabs thread on recommendations. It is well written and compares many amps in many price points.

Just a suggestion.

jk

very helpful, thank you.

Jul 6, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #8 of 33
The Darkvoice 336 is a very good choice for under $300.  The Woo3 is a little better, but to get it for $300 you'd have to buy used and get lucky.  I also think the Ming Da MC84-07C is a little better, but it is also tough to get under $300.

Jul 6, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 33
I'll second Skylab's endorsement for the 336(SE).  It matches very, very well with the DT880/600--which sounds better, IMHO, than the DT880/250.  

The G&W T2.6 is another nice amp, but because it has more of a neutral, solid state signature, it may not be the best match for the Beyers. It also uses tube guards which inhibit the use of dampers: another "minus" on my checklist.

The 6SN7/6AS7 tube compliment for the 336SE gives you lots of (affordable) choices, though, which I think serve the DT880 better.  The Beyers fill out nicely with tubes, and the 6SN7 (and its variants) are among some of the most musical tubes out there.  : ) 

Jul 6, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #10 of 33
I also looking for a tube amp for my HD650s in the same price range.  I keep coming back to the LD MKIII and the Darkvoice 336.  Anyone have comparisons?

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:
Search is your friend.... :wink:

jk

Yep, but I'm looking for a discussion on a live thread, rather than resurrecting something that's already dead...

Jul 6, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #13 of 33
If I was limited to $300, I'd take a hard look at the Bottlehead Crack. You will have to assemble it, but it comes with excellent instructions and they have a helpful forum, too. The construction is good and Doc Bottlehead puts out good stuff.

Another benefit is that you'd be able to swap in a few higher-end parts, if you wanted. Add a few good caps and resistors, and possibly one of the inexpensive, but decent, Chinese stepped attenuators. I think that would yield a much better amp than anything you could buy for $300.

Jul 6, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #14 of 33
I had a chance to hear a tadac which is a tube amp/dac combo it sounded just incredible I listened through some alessandro ms1 and ultrasones, I gave just a very realistic sound, I think it can also be used a  dac for as speakers system. I think its over your budget though but if you were planning on buying a dac too then I woud take a look at it.

Jul 6, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #15 of 33
That Crack looks like something I could actually assemble.  My soldering sucks so I've mostly stayed away from kits but without having to worry about burning a hole through a circuit board, its something I could do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back