TTVJ Millet hybrid portable tube amp question
Sep 10, 2012 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Spriggs

100+ Head-Fier
I recently got a TTVJ portable hybrid tube amp and i love it atm but there are a few things i have a questions about help would be most apprecieated.

First are there any specifics on how to do the blue tac mod for the microphonics of the tube like under the tubes or over or inbetween ect.
second can leaving the amp on for long periods of time with no load(headphones pluged in) and no source short because i know with my speaker tube amp if you leave it on for a while with no speakers plugged in it can short out but i dont know about hybrid systems mine was on when i opened the box from the mail so im guessing it was on the whole shipping time.
third there is a buzz that pops up once in a while with out me doing anything like if im listening to music or nothing playing once in a while my right chanel will go "buzz buzz" for a second or two and then go away. this problem is worring me the most
third are the tubes supposed to glow when the amp is on be cause mine are not or too dimly to be seen, my speaker amp with its 12ax7 and el84s glow quite a bit but again im not sure about hybrid systems. i guess im just worried my tubes are broken but i suppose if i can hear somthing it has to be working right(again i dont know anything about hybrids just tube amps themselfs)?

any insight on any of these things would help me a lot. Thanks in advanced.
PS: are there anyplaces to get new/replacement tubes for the amp.

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 13
^I recently grabbed a couple of replacement tubes from eBay and they look new.

Not long ago, I resurrected an old thread to ask about any updates to Blu-Tak leaching oil or if anyone had a better mod.

Have not done the Blu-Tak mod yet and my tubes are not-secured + ping easily.  

So I am interested to hear any news from owners too.

(Might be a good time to take a look and see how the Blu-Tak is looking these days?) 

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 13
This amp is a hybrid, I believe the tube is a driver and the output is SS. So no worry about it being on w/o a load. Buzz? That could be from the tube being microphony? The tube should last a very long time though. The tube glows but is very faint since it doesn't use much power and is very tiny.
Of all my portables, the hybrid is my favorite.

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 13
So i put blue tac all around the tubes and still a bit pinging but much less and only if i tap kinda hard. and the buzz i think is my ipod touch as a source i switched to another source and no buzz so maby if i try a lod might be better for my ipod cause i was using a mini jack to mini jack and i was wondering if i can use a fiio e7 as a preamp ? wierd i know but still.

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
So i put blue tac all around the tubes and still a bit pinging but much less and only if i tap kinda hard. and the buzz i think is my ipod touch as a source i switched to another source and no buzz so maby if i try a lod might be better for my ipod cause i was using a mini jack to mini jack and i was wondering if i can use a fiio e7 as a preamp ? wierd i know but still.

That should work. What I would do is set the TTVJ's volume to max and control the volume using the e7.

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #6 of 13
ok nvm it started buzzing on the other sources as well can some one find out y its doing this. and its not the tubes being microphonic thats the high pitched hiss/humm this is a low freq buzz like if you moved the minijack around and it make buzzing/ popping noises is the best i can discribe it as

May 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #12 of 13
I developed the blu-tac mod to stop the tubes from being microphonic. Just unscrew the case and put a piece of wax paper over the tube and warm up some blu-tac in the sun and smooth that onto the wax paper covering the tube so it doesn't get permanently stuck there. It won't move when it cools. That removes almost all ping and also protects the tubes against shock. Smart move.

As for the buzz buzz, if a phone is near and gets a SMS text..that will do it, also phones regular ask servers for email...that does it. If you want to make yur TTVJ tube amp immune to this buy MU-Metal foil which shields it from all radio frequencies. It also makes the noise floor lower...a second great mod!

I have to sell my spare TTVJ amp to finance a a car audio project. Pm me if interested, minty fresh .

May 6, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #13 of 13
Peter MILLETT has enough stock of replacement tubes for all current owners, not to worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back