TTVJ 307A amp Review out in Tone Audio
Aug 28, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 8
this is the review parts - first part SE, second was Bal.

-------
I used my reference Grado GS1000s and AKG 701s, both modified with Stefan Audio Arts Equinox cabling, with the 307A. listened exclusively to CDs and DVD-As with the Classe CDP-102 digital player as a source component.

The TTVJ/Millett allowed me to hear deep, deep, deep into a recording as well. For instance, Talking Heads’ Fear of Music is one of my top ten favorite albums of all time, and I think may have listened to it all the way through more than any other recording in my entire life. But in “I Zimbra,” there it was...a new synthesizer line running between each verse, something I'd never heard before. For a minute, thought was listening to an alternate mix. With the 307A/Grado combination, I was vaguely aware that was using some of the most detailed and revealing tools ever to listen to recordings. The fact that this was combined with a warmth that only single-ended amplification (and the wooden-bodied Grados) could provide put me into headphone heaven."

---------
Shortly after Marc finished his report on the Millett amp, we received a pair of balanced Sennheiser 650’s from Todd. “You have to hear them in full balanced mode, it takes the sound to another level!” Balanced headphones are definitely the rage these days, and if you take the time and expense to have your cans rewired it does make a pretty striking difference in terms of sound quality.

Every time I’ve heard a pair of balanced phones compared to the same model unbalanced, they always appear to do quite a bit better with low level detail, a lower noise floor and slightly better separation. Just like when you can run a phono cartridge balanced, I might add. To give the Millett amp even more leeway, used my Meridian 808 as a source component in place of the Classe and was treated to another level of musicality.

Rest assured this amp can keep up with the best source components you have. Because the Millett amp has so much resolution and depth, the difference between balanced and unbalanced took an even bigger jump than what I’ve heard with other headphone amplifiers. I must admit that while am not a hardcore headphone junkie, this is the most life like headphone presentation I’ve ever heard. Until now, I was a big fan of the Woo Audio 300B headphone amplifier. If you are looking for the pinnacle of headphone sound, write Todd a big check. You will not be disappointed.

Aug 29, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #4 of 8
The TTVJ 307A looks really great.
** Downloading Tone Audio #17 **

Aug 29, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 8
Glad to see that Todd and Pete's little wonder got the coverage it deserves. Just a phenomenal headphone amp.

Aug 29, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad to see that Todd and Pete's little wonder got the coverage it deserves. Just a phenomenal headphone amp.

I've heard rumblings that there is another review underway...
smile_phones.gif

Aug 29, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 8
Sounds like a grand slam home run the world series! I'm now rubbing my pants. This could possibly be the crowned emperor of headphone amps.

chewie0ol.gif

Aug 29, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #8 of 8
This is my next amp, I can't wait to demo it sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back