Trying to put together a listening panel for 4/26: DC Area
Apr 20, 2003 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Hirsch

Why is there a chaplain standing over his wallet?
The question at hand is whether or not differences between power cords is detectable in a blind testing situation. So, Dave1 and I want to attempt the experiment...but we need more people that just the two of us. Anyone willing to participate as a listener in a single-blind comparison of various power cords and interconnects on Sat. 4/26 at about 1:00 pm, please contact me.

Apr 20, 2003 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 15
So far there are four of us. Six is a practical maximum for the listening procedure, so there's room for one or two more.

Apr 22, 2003 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 15
One of the interconnects in the test will be a new prototype cable by Virtual Dynamics that won't be marketed until the fall, at the earliest. It is intended to be their new top of the line, above the Nite Series.

Apr 22, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 15
Hirsch, I might be able to make it. I have a lot of stuff to get done before the end of the school year, but I'll see if I can make it over. I'll let you know by Friday.

kerely

Apr 23, 2003 at 4:29 AM Post #5 of 15
I'll try and be there.

Apr 23, 2003 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 15
There are likely to be five of us. Will we be able to tell the VD Nite (MSRP $1500) from a generic power cord (estimated cost 40 cents)? We'll know soon enough...

Apr 24, 2003 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 15
Could you throw in a mid-priced cable as well? This would be interesting...say something in the $300 range. If the $300 cable bests the stock $.40 cord but equals the VD Nite...then we have something
smily_headphones1.gif

Now...even better....all cords sound the same! It would make our wallets quite pleased and may even resurrect yours Hirsch!

Apr 24, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
Could you throw in a mid-priced cable as well? This would be interesting...say something in the $300 range. If the $300 cable bests the stock $.40 cord but equals the VD Nite...then we have something
smily_headphones1.gif

Now...even better....all cords sound the same! It would make our wallets quite pleased and may even resurrect yours Hirsch!

For power cords, I actually don't have any in the middle price ranges. There's a real gap between the Absolute Power Cord and the VD Nite in my collection. Interconnects are another story...
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2003 at 7:20 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
hey, did you guys ever do this "experiment?" i'm curious about the results.

Yes.

The conclusion is: I'm deaf.

We conducted two tests. In the first one, we switched power cords on Hirsch's CD player (the Creek). It was very close. I did only a little bit better than I would have, if I was just guessing randomly.

In the second set of the tests, we compared interconnects. I liked the Radio Shack gold whatevers over the VD Nites (!).

I should probably be banned from audiophilia, but I'm still learning. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a headphone amp until ~2000.

I'll let the others answer for themselves.

Apr 29, 2003 at 9:54 PM Post #12 of 15
I'm a bit tardy writing up the results and posting them. Check the cables area. It should appear in the next few days.

May 12, 2003 at 8:03 PM Post #13 of 15
Are the results going to be posted soon? I am interested in the results as well as the methodology. Thanks.

May 12, 2003 at 8:32 PM Post #14 of 15
Sorry, I've been lazy about writing this up. The short story is that for the most part people were not able to detect differences, but that the methodology was flawed, so it's not clear what that meant. I'll post a report in the Cable Forum when I get some time.

May 27, 2003 at 9:00 PM Post #15 of 15
Please consider me for future DC/Balt area stuff!

If anyone wants to audition an XM SkyFi on a home cradle with decent interconnects with headphones, I'll be happy to bring along.

TIA,

GnD (David)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back