Trying to pull together a nice 2 channel computer setup for under $600, please assist in my decision.
Aug 17, 2012 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

xaznxeclipsex

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,  I am new here but not new to audio, however I am by no means an audiophile. I want to upgrade my current of Insignia 6.5" bookshelf NS-B2111 with a Old Denon receiver. My Source is a Macbook pro. I probably cant audition the equipment before I buy so I would be basing my decision from your opinions.

I heard the B&W MM-1 at the apple store and loved the sound but thought maybe I can do better on a similar cost by getting seperate components.

I want to divert $200 to a DAC and what I found in the price range are :

Emotiva XDA-1  (on closeout for $200)

AudioEngine D1 ($169)

Which one is a better choice? Is there a better DAC out there than these 2 for around $200?

These speakers are what I see most discussed in forums :

AudioEngine 5+ ($400)

AudioEngine 5 (On amazon for $300 new, is it worth the $100 for the 5+?)

KRK Rokit Powered 5 Generation 2 (I see that many retailers are selling these for $300 /pair)

I havent dont my research on Swan speakers yet, but took a look on their site and their active desktop speakers looks promising.

Please suggest if there are something better in the 300-400$ range.

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #2 of 7
I would toss in the Audinst HUD-MX1 DAC in the mix.

As for monitors i would also consider Yamaha HS50M and Mackie MR5 mk2.

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #3 of 7
Ah, the ol' Insignia NS-B2111s!  I have a pair in my living room now, and probably about 3 more pairs just sitting around.  PHENOMENAL speaker for the money while they were available.  Cool to see a fellow owner.

Emotiva is a viable option, they are making quality products at a good price; however, is footprint a concern to you?

Are you going to be running the DAC you buy into your Denon AVR for power?  Because $600 for speakers, DAC, AND an amp is tough.....

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 7
Are you considering to buy used?
When you say "computer setup", do you mean only that you will have your computer as your source or will the speakers necessarily be nearfield, on either side of the desk where you're going to be sitting?

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 7
As for speakers it depends on what you want, krk rokit  5 while ok, the highs and lows aren't the best in terms on definition. The bass is exaggerated for the 5" element, which means it will chuff and be a bit muddy. 

One thing to keep in mind, unless you have space behind your speakers the bass port on the back is usually not a good idea to back up to a wall to close.

So if your tight on space you might want to look at (if they have a bass reflex port) speakers that have their port on the front.

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 7
I personally don't like the sound of KRK's (but like everything audio I know people who would trade most of their belongings for things I don't like). I have the Mackie MR5 Mk2's and they sound (to me) gorgeous and full. Nice bass extension, full mids and clean highs. Soundstage is excellent as well. My honest opinion is that you test them all before you by them. The Yamahas aren't really nice for listening to some types of music, the KRK's are nice sounding but not my personal favourite (plus some people look at them as the "Beats by Dre" of studio monitors).

In the matter of DAC if you use "studio" equipment (say Presonus Audiobox USB, Steinberg C12, Roland Quad Capture) you'll pay between $185-$250 and get a DAC with built in headphone amp (but not as good an amp as a dedicated HI-FI amp) and the ability to run monitors.

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 7
I was undecided between the Mackie MR5 MKII and the Tannoy Reveal 601a, i went with Tannoy mostly because of their front port design which means i can place them close to the wall behind my desk. The larger 6,5" woofer also weighed into the decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back