Trying to locate SA5000 frequency response charts...
Nov 18, 2008 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

JayG

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 16, 2004
Posts
469
Likes
0
Hi all,

In quite a few old threads discussing Sony's SA5000, allusions have been made to some frequency response charts posted on Head-Fi, but all of the links to said charts point to irrelevant threads. I assume the indexing got screwed up in the major forum crash a while back. Does anyone still have those charts or know how to locate the correct archived posts? I have searched and searched and been unable to turn them up.

Thanks a lot.
 
Nov 18, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #2 of 15

hawat

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 23, 2005
Posts
785
Likes
10
this guy post many reviews of cans including their response chart. The sa5000 is in there too.
ƒwƒbƒhƒzƒ“ƒŒƒrƒ…[
mdr-sa5000_f.gif
 
Dec 21, 2008 at 10:21 AM Post #4 of 15

hawat

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 23, 2005
Posts
785
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by btbluesky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I knew it! No mid recess. In fact, whats that little hill on 2500?!


Those are highs at 2500-3000, I think
wink.gif
That might be part of the reason why many people think that the sa5000 are bright.
 
Dec 21, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 15

b0dhi

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 12, 2005
Posts
2,070
Likes
21
Theres about 1000Hz missing between 6-7Khz. That's where much of the "snappiness" of drums is, and also where a lot of the "brightness" of a headphone is. There should be a slight hill there, not a huge trough.
 
Dec 21, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 15

LnxPrgr3

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 23, 2008
Posts
258
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by btbluesky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I knew it! No mid recess.


Lower mids look from that graph like they could sound a bit recessed. For a wide dip like that, it doesn't take much depth for it to be audible.
 
Dec 21, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 15

Herandu

Banned: Shares IP addresses with DC Lee StanleyB1
Joined
May 20, 2006
Posts
1,179
Likes
12
I don't have faith in that graph. The SA5000 are open headphones. If you use a conventional headphone measuring technique to plot that graph, you are going to get a mixture of played back sound and the openness of the headphones combining to exhibit that response.
 
Dec 21, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #9 of 15

hawat

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 23, 2005
Posts
785
Likes
10
Wouldn't your ear hear almost the same thing as a mic placed in the same spot anyway?
 
Dec 21, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 15

Herandu

Banned: Shares IP addresses with DC Lee StanleyB1
Joined
May 20, 2006
Posts
1,179
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't your ear hear almost the same thing as a mic placed in the same spot anyway?


Not in this case. The SA5000, like the MDR-F1, are designed for a different pattern of sound distribution that relies on sound reaching both ears. This creates a completely different musical perception compared to a standard closed or open stereo headphone. In consequence, a two dimensional graph displaying a stereo frequency response pattern won't cover the way that the likes of the SA5000 operate within the audio frequency spectrum.
 
Dec 21, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #11 of 15

btbluesky

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Posts
131
Likes
10
Location
Los Angeles
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not in this case. The SA5000, like the MDR-F1, are designed for a different pattern of sound distribution that relies on sound reaching both ears. This creates a completely different musical perception compared to a standard closed or open stereo headphone. In consequence, a two dimensional graph displaying a stereo frequency response pattern won't cover the way that the likes of the SA5000 operate within the audio frequency spectrum.


I admit I'm lost. Do they have a word for this scenario? I mean if they put the mic right between the two driver, wouldn't that be the same?
 
Dec 22, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #12 of 15

b0dhi

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 12, 2005
Posts
2,070
Likes
21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not in this case. The SA5000, like the MDR-F1, are designed for a different pattern of sound distribution that relies on sound reaching both ears. This creates a completely different musical perception compared to a standard closed or open stereo headphone. In consequence, a two dimensional graph displaying a stereo frequency response pattern won't cover the way that the likes of the SA5000 operate within the audio frequency spectrum.


I guarantee you if you play back music on only one side of the SA5000/MDR-F1 you will hear practically nothing on the other side. These headphones are designed to reflect more of the sound off the outer ear to create a more natural soundstage, but not the opposite ear.
 
Dec 22, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #13 of 15

Caribou679

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 26, 2007
Posts
1,051
Likes
19
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guarantee you if you play back music on only one side of the SA5000/MDR-F1 you will hear practically nothing on the other side. These headphones are designed to reflect more of the sound off the outer ear to create a more natural soundstage, but not the opposite ear.


Can you clarify this point as I do not understand something?
Using the MDR-F1 and the MDR-V6 I panned from 20 to -20 using a Cowon D2( pan is basically a balance function) and on both headphone I hear practically nothing on the other side. How is this specific to the SA5000/MDR-F1?

The MDR-F1 "speakers"/drivers are about in a 30 degrees slant to the ear and have really no earcups.

regards,
 
Dec 23, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #14 of 15

b0dhi

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 12, 2005
Posts
2,070
Likes
21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you clarify this point as I do not understand something?
Using the MDR-F1 and the MDR-V6 I panned from 20 to -20 using a Cowon D2( pan is basically a balance function) and on both headphone I hear practically nothing on the other side. How is this specific to the SA5000/MDR-F1?

The MDR-F1 "speakers"/drivers are about in a 30 degrees slant to the ear and have really no earcups.

regards,



I just meant that the sound coming from one side of the headphone will not reach (audibly) to the opposite side's ear. No doubt the F1 has great soundstage, but it's not due to that reason.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top