Trying to get into hi-fi
Jul 5, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #16 of 40
If you like the sound of Beats you're probably not going to like anything that isn't like Beats, which is anything that people who say they suck use.

Note that in some cases "accurate" and "accurate" are not always the same thing, and neither are most things known for accuracy actually accurate. The first means it's about as flat as technology permits; the second often means "syrupy sweet audio sauce" with the highs rolled off and the bass slightly ticked up, and the third case refers to how people talk about very accurate and detailed headphones but if you took measurements what they think is detail is a peak or mountain range in the treble. The second case is for people with hyperacusis, the third is for people with usually age-based hearing loss (ie you gradually lose hearing response in the high frequencies as you age).

----

In any case, if you still really want to get your feet wet, look into these:

AKG K553Pro
https://www.amazon.com/AKG-K553-PRO-553-Pro/dp/B00X3MT7F6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467721506&sr=8-1&keywords=AKG+K553

Choose S03-H01-E05-C05 config

https://aiaiai.dk/configurator

Grain Audio OEHP
http://grainaudio.com/products/oehp-over-ear-headphones

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I love the idea of modular headphones, that seems like something to look into. I'm thinking about starting another thread though about lossless music files. I'm not sure if it really is the headphones that are in need of an upgrade. Thanks for all of the help!

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #17 of 40
Talking about lossless music files, with the beats headphones that you have, you wont be able to tell the difference because it is rather a very forgiving headphone. It's okay of you have lower quality music or sources when using this headset. However, with headphone that has emphasised treble, it might not be very forgiving or not forgiving at all, requiring you to have lossless files.

You can find headphones that are detailed, yet forgiving. It's quite hard and the only one I have heard that was like that was the Philips SHP2000, which is by far the cheapest bang for the buck I know of.

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #18 of 40
Talking about lossless music files, with the beats headphones that you have, you wont be able to tell the difference because it is rather a very forgiving headphone. It's okay of you have lower quality music or sources when using this headset. However, with headphone that has emphasised treble, it might not be very forgiving or not forgiving at all, requiring you to have lossless files.

You can find headphones that are detailed, yet forgiving. It's quite hard and the only one I have heard that was like that was the Philips SHP2000, which is by far the cheapest bang for the buck I know of.

Well you learn something new every day. XD I swear every time I get in this forum i learn something new about headphones. First it was open back vs closed back, then what impedance was, and now I learn about lossless music files. I genuinely had no clue that lossless would't help some headphones. I just thought "better in, better out." Thanks for dropping that knowledge on me 3xclu5ive!

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #19 of 40
No worries. If your wondering what files music comes in here's a heads up.

Lossy (loss in quality):
MP3
AAC
M4A
WMA

Lossless:
WAV
FLAC
ALAC
APE
AIFF

There is more music file extensions out there for these are what I know. If your going to do music listening on PC, foobar2000 is the best out of all players. On android, Neutron Music Player is really good. Not sure for iOS though.

Lossless isn't compressed so it will bigger than MP3 in file size. Somewhere about 24MB to 200MB depending on bitrate and bit depth.

Jul 5, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #20 of 40
As you were a user of beats, I'd suggest buying headphones that have a warmer sound, typically closed back. They will emphasise more on bassand won't lose treble volume, just smooth out the treble. You could also go with "v" shape sounding headphones but the mids sound quieter.

Jul 5, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I love the idea of modular headphones, that seems like something to look into. I'm thinking about starting another thread though about lossless music files. I'm not sure if it really is the headphones that are in need of an upgrade. Thanks for all of the help!

There isn't a lot of difference between 320kbps vs FLAC, and even then it depends more on genre, as MP3 compression can affect full-spectrum power/prog metal more than audiophile tracks with just vocals and a guitar. It can affect how much low bass is in EDM, but it's the kind of thing you can easily compensate for with EQ anyway without messing up the sound (unlike the wrong band bass boost on metal which can give you an indistinct landslide instead of fast double pedal work while maintaining solid single kicks). Sometimes also the gear used can be more sensitive, but that's rare and in this case you're not looking into using any other electronics anyway. Save storage space and use 320kbps on the go - the only reason why I use FLAC on my phone (and then I have other non-critical albums on Spotify, like house, pop, clubbin' RnB, etc) is because it serves as my home audio server. If I had a dedicated music server I'd just use Spotify on it since Premium gives unlimited data use. 

What would really matter is the recording quality, but there isn't a lot you can do about that at your end other than staying vigilant to get properly mastered copies if they come out (or hunting down older copies pre-Loudness War entry).

Jul 5, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #22 of 40
There isn't a lot of difference between 320kbps vs FLAC, and even then it depends more on genre, as MP3 compression can affect full-spectrum power/prog metal more than audiophile tracks with just vocals and a guitar. It can affect how much low bass is in EDM, but it's the kind of thing you can easily compensate for with EQ anyway without messing up the sound (unlike the wrong band bass boost on metal which can give you an indistinct landslide instead of fast double pedal work while maintaining solid single kicks). Sometimes also the gear used can be more sensitive, but that's rare and in this case you're not looking into using any other electronics anyway. Save storage space and use 320kbps on the go - the only reason why I use FLAC on my phone (and then I have other non-critical albums on Spotify, like house, pop, clubbin' RnB, etc) is because it serves as my home audio server. If I had a dedicated music server I'd just use Spotify on it since Premium gives unlimited data use. 

What would really matter is the recording quality, but there isn't a lot you can do about that at your end other than staying vigilant to get properly mastered copies if they come out (or hunting down older copies pre-Loudness War entry).

Thanks for the info. I use iTunes which I recently found out was "evil" and also lower quality so I was looking into maybe just listening to a gew of my favorite songs lossless. Anywhere I can do that without having to download them or buy them?

Jul 5, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #24 of 40
I mainly listen to 320 KBPS MP3 , but I have a few WAVS, FLAC and AIFFs.

Your safest bet to get HQ music is to buy them.

I'd buy them if I knew they made a huge difference but I haven't been able to compare them. I know I should buy them but I'm a huge believer in try before you buy.

Jul 5, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #25 of 40
Thanks for the info. I use iTunes which I recently found out was "evil" and also lower quality so I was looking into maybe just listening to a gew of my favorite songs lossless. Anywhere I can do that without having to download them or buy them?
Tidal has a free trail but I think you need a credit card and make sure you cancel before the trial is over. There are some sites that have some free 24 bit stuff you can try out . Just do a search . I have a few hi Rez versions of the same cd and I can tell the difference but it is not a big one.

Jul 5, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #26 of 40
Tidal has a free trail but I think you need a credit card and make sure you cancel before the trial is over. There are some sites that have some free 24 bit stuff you can try out . Just do a search . I have a few hi Rez versions of the same cd and I can tell the difference but it is not a big one.

Thanks. I think I'll just rip the cd's I have for now. I may get into streaming later.

Jul 5, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #27 of 40

Listen to what ProtegeManiac told you. Lossless may provide no better SQ for you than high bit rate mp3. Before you assume it will, you should try this test: http://lifehacker.com/5903625/mp3-or-lossless-see-if-you-can-hear-the-difference-with-this-test

Jul 5, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

iTunes evils have less to do with the resolution, but more of how much of a PITA it is to use for those who think in Windows/Linux and speak the language of Drag-N-Drop. If you want your own archive, you'll have to buy the files online from sites like HDTracks.com or buying the discs and ripping them, then manually load them to your phone while hooked up via sync cable (or there might be a way to do this wirelessly, not sure - I use microSD cards and Drag-N-Drop with Androids).

However if for the foreseeable future you'll just use your iPhone to drive the headphone you might as well just use Spotify Premium on Extreme Quality.

Jul 5, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #29 of 40
New question: how much does Bluetooth affect audio quality? I usually use my headphones wirelessly but would that affect audio quality majorly?

Jul 5, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #30 of 40
It can because bluetooth is not lossless. However, if you are using APTX with bluetooth, that's very high quality compressed audio. Although from what I understand, still lossy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back