Trying to find the best customizable IEM in the 100/200 $ range
Aug 3, 2018 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Johnnystuff

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in the market to upgrade my actual LZ A3 which I like a lot but are a bit abused after 2 years of quite extensive use. I tried other IEMs in the meantime of course but nothing has ever been a real "upgrade" in terms of sound quality. The ones I liked the most, or that surprised me the most, have been the Trinity Vyrus because they combined the best sound quality with the bang for buck factor in a way that I still find hard to beat.

Now, I've seen there are some choices nowadays for those who want to have a quality AND customizable IEM, but even if I narrowed down them to two or three I still can't decide what's best for me.

The sound signature I'm looking for is a slightly bass oriented one but not bass heavy. I like a certain warmth and roundness but only if combined with a wide soundstage and great separation of instruments and vocals. I hate muffled and recessed basses as much as sibilant cymbals. Also total crystal clear neutrality? No thanks.

That being said a customizable IEMs should give a more ample variety of sound sig for all different types of music.

Here's my narrowed down list:

1) LZ A4 - 195$
I'm sure they check all the boxes in terms of sound and build quality. I'm not sure about the comfort, especially because the A3 I have now are absolutely horrible in that regard, but that's not a deciding factor. Only real con, the price: the competitors are much cheaper.

2) Toneking Nine Tail - 125$
Probably the best bang for buck, given the amount of customization offered and the sound/build quality.

3) Macaw GT600s - 85$
Less customization offered (only 3 filters) but a lot cheaper. I'm not expecting the sound quality to be on par with the other 2 above but who knows?

4) 1More Triple/Quad Driver - 100/200 $
These are not customizable, but they are the terms of comparison as regard the sound quality, so if the Macaw are better or on par with the Triple Driver, they are a win. If the LZ A4/Nine Tail are not better than the Triple they are a fail, as much as if they're better or on par with the Quad Driver, they are a clear win.

Please gimme some good advice and of course any more option will be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back