Trying to find portable equivalent of HD600
Sep 17, 2014 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ewok

Head-Fier
I have an old paid of HD600's which I've loved from the first minute I heard them and am still blown away every time I put them on.  However they aren't very practical to take with me on the train to work , would let the entire train hear what I am listening to, and can't be driven from my source (a Galaxy S5 with no amp).  A few years ago I bought some Shure SE530's and have never really been that impressed with them, especially given the price.  I spent about 6 years fiddling with comply foam tips as they were the only thing I could get to fit in my ears AT ALL as I apparently have pretty small ear canals, so squishing up the complys was the only way to get any kind of decent fit, and it was still a pain to get a good seal and not have it fall out.  Due to the hassle of getting them in, I didn't use them much for years.

Recently I bought some custom sleeves by ACS thinking this would not only solve my issue of trying to get a good fit, but from what I had read would also improve the sound a fair bit, as well as the bass which I thought was a tad weak.  I must say I am a bit disappointed with the result.  The right one is a bit fiddly to get in (my right ear canal seems ot have a curve in it) but they do get a good seal every time when in, and dont fall out at all.  However I think the bass is WEAKER than it was with the complys and I am just not really impressed with the sound when I compare them to my HD600's.

So my question is, are there any that will really rival the HD600 in either an EIM or some sort of portable on-ear solution that has good isolation?  I wouldn't spend silly money on something just for portable use so they would need to be known to be significantly better than the SE530 and in the £200-300 price range for it to be worthwhile.

Perhaps I am being completely unrealistic trying to get something that can rival the HD600's in an IEM or easily drivable, portable, decent isolating on-ear?  If so then I will just have to put up with the Shure's (which I may have to do for a while anyway to justify spending £120 on the custom sleeves!).

I am not an audiophile but I know the HD600's sound amazing to me and the SE530's just don't.

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 3

barid

500+ Head-Fier
I'd recommend trying the westone w4's.  They maybe called the w40's now, I'm not up to date on the new models.

They've been my favorite for a while now.  I consider them in the same grouping as the hd600 in that they are both slightly warm, non-fatiguing, and are a good jack-of-all-trades.

I believe westone releases some newer models since the w4, but I am not familiar with them.

Sep 17, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 3

Ewok

Head-Fier
Had a quick look at the W4, it seems the new version is W40 but they are supposedly just cosmetic changes.  They seem to be around £259 according to one place I found which puts them about the same price as the SE535, which are basically the same as the SE530 I have.  So I am wondering how much different the W4 would likely be to the SE530/535 if it is of similar price.  I am not going to be able to try them out before buying and I am worried I would end up with something that sounds the same (or similar) to my non-audiophile ears as the SE530 (which don't sound 'bad' they just don't wow me like my HD600's do and I think the bass is weak).  They also seem to have a similar shape/design to the SE530 with cable behind the ear, and I will probably have to try and get some custom sleeves for them again (another £120) or be back using complys again.  Hmmm

Users who are viewing this thread