Trying to decide between some headphones - never bought any quality ones before
Dec 27, 2012 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

shipwreck276

New Head-Fier
Hi, I haven't ever had any even semi-nice headphones before and am looking to buy some. My cousin got a pair of beats mixr for Christmas and I thought they sounded really good. Then again the nicest headphones I've had probably cost $15. It sounds like those aren't really highly regarded around here at all though haha. Anyway, looks are important to me and I really don't want to spend more than $120.

Some that I found are:
Noontec Zoro
V-MODA Crossfade LP
Phiaton MS400
Phiaton MS300
AKG K 518 LE

I really found those mostly off looks and price. I'd love to hear which of those would be recommended or other recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 10
Gender doesn't really make a difference so much as head size and ear size. For example, if you have a larger head, I would cross the LP off of your list as it starts to clamp uncomfortably.

It would also help if you state what genres of music you generally listen to and the intended usage (home, travel).

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the clarification, I have a small to average head size. I listen to a fairly wide variety of music - rock, indie, country, pop, occasionally some hip hop, and dance/club music. So I guess I would like to have something that is versatile. I will be using them both at home and for travel - walking to classes/library mostly.

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 10
Keeping style as an important factor and what you mentioned in mind, I have a few recommendations at different price points:

Audio Technica ATH-SJ11BK - ~$30-35
Citiscape Downtown (Particularly the Purple one, gifted one to a female friend and she loved it) - ~$40-60

The Phiaton 400's a decent choice if you want to spend on the upper range of your budget. They're a bit gaudy for me, but definitely look striking if that's what you're going for. I would recommend against the Noontec not because of the sound, but because others will think you were cheap and bought a Beats knockoff. Would not recommend the Crossfade LP with all of the genres you listed.

Haven't heard the AKG 518.

Hope this helps!

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks, I'll strike the Crossfade LPs off the list and take a look at those other ones you mentioned.

As far as the noontec zoros go, do you think the sound would be right for those genres I listed? I don't really care if people think I bought a cheap knockoff. I more care about the looks because I want to like them; I don't really care what other people think of them.

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 10
Yes, they're very much one of the better headphones I've heard <$100 when it comes to having a sound that works across genres. The detachable cable is a huge plus as well. It was a headphone I had comfort issues with, but with your head size you should be fine!

I don't like the black as fingerprints smear on it like no tomorrow. Perhaps the red/white would do better in this regard. If you're okay with the looks, they're quite excellent.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Thanks for all of your help. I was going to go with the black if I went with those, so thanks for the head's up. I think I'll go with those in a different color.

i actually own the noontecs myself and i was debating on the citiscape downtowns from philips themselves. ( you could find them at your local target (in usa) or winners (canada) for about $39.99-49.99.

but for the noontecs they sound fantastic i find for many genres of music. And they respond very well to eq changes. I personally got the white version, (whites my favorite colour). and i'm 20, so i found the "beat-esque" look cool. If you find them lacking in bass just use bass-boost and you'll hear what the beats solos should've been. 

One thing to note their isolation is not very good, but i added a piece of cardboard inside the earpad to make them more "plump" to make it clamp just a bit tighter on my head. (i don't have a large head, id say below average to average, i only use 2.5 clicks on the noontecs out of 5 clicks (in incremenets of 0.5)

As regards to the build quality of the noontecs i found them to be below average to average at best. (i baby them a lot, was very careful with them) Just don't use the folding mechanism too often, the hinges are still plastic even if they are steel reinforced!

you can read my full review here:

http://www.amazon.com/review/RERYJ67XRLIUN/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B007OWSIKQ&nodeID=172282&store=electronics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back