Truthful newcomer impression of Sony Xb-500 and "better" headphones in general.
Apr 15, 2011 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Youalldoit

New Head-Fier
Hello, I've been reading this forum for a good while now, created my account 1-2 months ago and I've learned a bunch of stuff on a bunch of headphones and equipment during my short stay.

1 year ago I made an uneducated decision, didn't research anything and ended up buying the Skullcandy Lowriders on a whim.

Before getting the lowriders I used to buy cheap earbuds because my mentality was "cheaper is better because it's all the same anyway"

Around december 2010 and january 2011 I tried a bunch of different headphones and all of a sudden I was very very disappointed by myself. I thought "why did I buy these(skullcandy)? there's much, much better stuff out there"

I read a bit and found Head-fi and then spotted the xb-700 then read a bit more and decided the xb-500 would fit my needs a whole lot better. (Price wise, sound type wise)

Almost every day until the day I bought my xb-500 I would come on here and read about them, and other headphones.

Now, now I'm not a fan of online buying partly because it's a hassle for me to wait around 7-8 days to transfer money on my paypal so don't wonder why I'm not mentioning other headphones.

I went to my local best-buy and various music stores and couldn't find the xb-700, but I did find the xb-500 which is one of the reasons why I chose them. (other than the xb-700's need for amping and overall not so good feedback around here compared to the xb500) I also gave up on buying the m50 because I wanted "bang for my buck", money isn't exactly flowing.

Now now here comes the important part; the more I read about the xb-500 the more I imagined how they'd sound and how happy I would be and how good my music would sound once I finally could afford them (was jobless so I had to wait 1-2 months) NOW the thing is....

I'm 100% satisfied, they are exactly as good as I wanted them to be for the price I paid, and obviously much better than my skullcandy lowriders.

Now if anyone is thinking about getting the xb-500, or any headphone you've thoroughly researched, go for it, I doubt you'll be disappointed, especially if it's your first step in "better" headphones.

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #2 of 7
Welcome to head-fi, sorry about youur wallet :).

What in particular do you like about the Xb500s? In what areas do they improve upon the skullcandys? Perhaps take a look at getting aquainted with the glossary for describing sound sticky.

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
I also gave up on buying the m50 because I wanted "bang for my buck"

confused_face_2.gif
  I know what you mean, but it's still funny hearing/reading that. lol

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm more or less referring to everything that was said about the xb-500 around here, bass quality and it's sound in general in this case. Me explaining what I like about them would just make me repeat what was said about them so many times on the forums. :p

The point I'm trying to make is that researching a headphone and moving on from lesser quality headphones is a move everyone who's the least bit interested in headphones should make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back