How about 5 words or less on what Truth is:

Subjective, even in the past.

Mar 23, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #4 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something You Won't Find Here.

Definitions of truth:
Conformity to fact or actuality.
A statement proven to be or accepted as true.
Sincerity; integrity.
Fidelity to an original or standard.

In my opinion the best definition would be: Something accepted/thought to be true. (Yes, I used the word in defining the word. But that's as I don't believe it actually exists).

Mar 23, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #6 of 60
Desktop setup beats the portables
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #7 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I used the word in defining the word. But that's as I don't believe it actually exists

wait, you're defending the concept of using the word to define itself, assuming the concept/idea presented by the word is either non-existant or thought to be unattainable?

that is the best defense I've ever read for "using the word to define itself"
beerchug.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #9 of 60
Truth = what good people die for.

Mar 23, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #12 of 60
You believe, despite all odds.

Mar 23, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #13 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That which is the case.

It's just the correspondence theory of truth. A proposition, p, is true if and only if it corresponds to some fact. Or p is true if and only if it corresponds to some state of affairs that obtains.

Doesn't your definition depend on the question of what, exactly, consitututes "fact?"

My own answer to the OP's question (fact unalloyed by prejudice) also depends on the question of whether fact is a hard and fast reality. So, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. I'm just questioning both of us. In essence, what's a fact?

P.S. This issue gives rise to my faith. As much as I despise organized religion, I am forced to participate in the religion of my birth. I am a person of faith, and, despite my acceptance of science, I find that scientists cannot answer all of my questions. Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back