Trust Your Ears...
Apr 30, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #121 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by superchan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no way dude ???
iPod that sound same like amp+dac at 200 usd ++ ??

YesWay.jpg

May 1, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #122 of 165
Did you actually read the link in my sig about sufficient volume vs sufficient amping?

May 1, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #123 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you actually read the link in my sig about sufficient volume vs sufficient amping?

Yes, a few weeks ago.

I can read as much as I want, but if I don't hear it, I don't hear it.

May 1, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #124 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, a few weeks ago.

I can read as much as I want, but if I don't hear it, I don't hear it.

I think you're missing the point Crazy*Carl. Much is of this hobby is purely subjective. It is all good and well that you personally cannot identify any audible difference between the output of an ipod and a low-fi DAC/Amp rig output, but you may need to realise that others have differing OPINIONS from you. What are you hoping to achieve in this crusade? If you are happy with the HD580's running directly from your sources, then great... save yourself the money and don't purchase DACs and amps. If you want this topic to be of more substance then why not find some hard evidence that these items have no effect (like academic or professional-based experiments). That would actually be very interesting and worth talking about, rather than presenting two-word, subjective retorts that come across as forceful opinions bordering on facts.

May 1, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #125 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Jester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are you hoping to achieve in this crusade?

What all trolls want - attention. Some people you just can't reach.

May 1, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #126 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Jester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're missing the point Crazy*Carl. Much is of this hobby is purely subjective. It is all good and well that you personally cannot identify any audible difference between the output of an ipod and a low-fi DAC/Amp rig output, but you may need to realise that others have differing OPINIONS from you. What are you hoping to achieve in this crusade? If you are happy with the HD580's running directly from your sources, then great... save yourself the money and don't purchase DACs and amps. If you want this topic to be of more substance then why not find some hard evidence that these items have no effect (like academic or professional-based experiments). That would actually be very interesting and worth talking about, rather than presenting two-word, subjective retorts that come across as forceful opinions bordering on facts.

This is not a crusade, only a friendly discussion. I am not trying to write a research paper here either.

May 1, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #127 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What all trolls want - attention. Some people you just can't reach.

My intention was never to be a troll, and I don't think I ever was. I would you appreciate you holding off on these unjustified remarks.

When I question the status quo here, a few people seem to get very defensive.

May 1, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #128 of 165
Quote:

My intention was never to be a troll, and I don't think I ever was. I would you appreciate you holding off on these unjustified remarks.

When I question the status quo here, a few people seem to get very defensive.

That's fine, how about trying to add some substance to this topic rather than just dismissing the multitude of other people's opinions which disagree with yours?

Otherwise your statements could be mistaken for trolling...
You are on a forum populated by people that believe that purchasing different items will increase the fidelity of their system.

May 1, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #129 of 165
I have added alot of substance, Audio Jester. I have revealed what I have experienced and that it is very contradictory to what you commonly read on head-fi. I know some people value this, as there are quite a few posts that at least partially agree with what I have come across.

May 1, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #130 of 165
Quote:

I have added alot of substance, Audio Jester. I have revealed what I have experienced and that it is very contradictory to what you commonly read on head-fi. I know some people value this, as there are quite a few posts that at least partially agree with what I have come across.

That was Page 1. What about the other 8?

I agree with Audio Jester. If you're going to try to claim that amps and DACs make no difference (and not just to you, but in general, which you seem to want to do), you have to bring more than personal experience to the table.

Whether you're attempted to troll or not, you are flying directly in the face of the hot wind this forum blows. It's not like a cable debate, where opinions are split. Here, amps and DACs are almost universally believed to make a difference, albeit small. You're not picking a side in dodgeball. You're lining up alone against a football team.

May 1, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #131 of 165
Quote:

It appears that you are presenting two different points in your discussion.

1. Using an HD580 (or similar audiophile-based headphones) sound good if not great directly out of your sources (PC, iPod etc.)

2. Li-Fi amps and DACs do not affect the quality of audio when played though the HD580 (and possibly other headphones).

On the first point you do have several supporters, and this is a valuable topic for HeadFiers as it presents people with the idea that they can buy a HD580, for example, and run it directly out the their iPod to get good quality audio.

On the second point you are somewhat out on a limb there. Some have partially agreed, but you are making a large generalisation about low-fi gear and there is a general consensus from the audio community that disagrees with your point of view. This is where you might want to find an article, study or experiment that may back up your opinions. This is not academic, it is called rational discussion.

May 1, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #132 of 165
Crusade isn't exactly the right word, this is more like heresy .. and after reading someone's opinion nailed on the cathedral door I'm just gonna proceed and hear the mass as usual.
wink.gif
I'm glad you've found your perfect setup Crazy*Carl. Good on you and best of luck with your hobby... err, music listening.

May 1, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #134 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with Audio Jester. If you're going to try to claim that amps and DACs make no difference (and not just to you, but in general, which you seem to want to do), you have to bring more than personal experience to the table.

I am not trying to prove that, again, only reveal what I heard. I do think something of that significance justifies a thread about it. I only want to say personally with my limited experience, I did not get any increase, despite expecting it based on my research before buying.

May 1, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #135 of 165
There's still plenty of headphones out there to try unamped (yes, I know, nothing is truly unamped but you the meaning). I've always thought the ESW10JPN to be an amazing performer out of a portable, and from what I've heard even the HF2 sounds great unamped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back