Trust Your Ears...
Apr 27, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #16 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah. sell me your hd580s.
wink.gif

Ya right, these are the one thing that I do hear a massive difference with.
icon10.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #17 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think in the future, this hi end audio market is going to slowly disappear because regular devices will get so good. I think this is already happening.

Nah. Time and time again its been proven that if you offer people the same product at two prices, many will go for the higher price, assuming it is better.

This may be too much of a heated issue, but look at the market for expensive audio cables.

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #18 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This may be too much of a heated issue, but look at the market for expensive audio cables.

Don't even get me started with cables.

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #19 of 165
Quote:

I think in the future, this hi end audio market is going to slowly disappear because regular devices will get so good. I think this is already happening.

If this proves true, my wallet will be eternally grateful
atsmile.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #20 of 165
hmm...
price point will always be king. and, as a result, cost cutting will always play a role.
however, technology marches on. and today's affordable is yesterday's outrageous.
true...

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #21 of 165
Quote:

Don't even get me started with cables.

Maybe your inferior cabling is the reason you haven't heard any differences with amps/dacs? :p :p :p

Apr 27, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #22 of 165
My DAC upgrade made a difference. Not a tiny one like slightly improved timbre and texture that could easily be dismissed as placebo. I heard things I did not and still cannot hear without the DAC. Notes in the bass that appear as a blob otherwise, the perceived space between a pair of instruments that is filled before. Still not an extreme difference by any means, but as a (still?) junior Head-Fier I remain skeptical of anything high-end but headphones, and so I doubt it is all placebo. Still, if I had the means I would love to DBT myself. Maybe I could save some money!

So you not being able to hear a difference is both a blessing and a curse. Thus, I both feel sorry for you and your forever condemnation to the low and mid-fi, yet also envy you with every green bill in my pocket.

If I could do it all over again, maybe I wouldn't settle for a $99 DAC. Knowing what I know now about the quite small improvements, I think I could be as content either sticking with the sound card I already had, or leaping forth to the $200-300 range in hopes of finding something less subtle. But I don't feel like going to the trouble of selling it and trying again
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #23 of 165
Quote:

Well, its pretty clear that my "rig" needs to go, as I personally can not hear the difference that $300 worth of gear makes.

I have heard many times that 1 or 2 hundred dollar DAC's or amps wont me a big step up. That's fine. But the problem is that its not a step up at all. Only to the side.

One day I hope to attend a high fi meet and listen to some real high end gear. Maybe then I will hear the difference, but will it justify the steep price to me? Maybe...

i disagree already. using my D2000 from a D4 instead of directly out of my headphone jack on my powerbook is a big difference in sound. not slight at all. the soundstage explodes open. with crisper attacks too. i'm sure for $225 i'm not going to find the same experience as a $4000 woo audio set up but I've got to be reasonable at this point in my life.

i loooooooove music tho. i listen to music probably 4-5 hours a day of my waking time. music is a huge part of my life, and i know everyone says that, but of course i feel it's especially true of me.
tongue_smile.gif
sooo, i feel it was a deserved upgrade for me. you gotta treat yourself in this life..

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #24 of 165
Can you specify exactly what gear you used to base your opinion that all hifi gear is worthless?

Even my friends that couldn't care less about how good their headphones are can tell the difference between an ipod, a dac/amp, and a tube amp.

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #25 of 165
The other question is, Crazy Carl, what are you listening to? Not just the files but the kind of music. Some recordings just won't bulge whatever you know at them you know.

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #26 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The other question is, Crazy Carl, what are you listening to? Not just the files but the kind of music. Some recordings just won't bulge whatever you know at them you know.

Some (read: lots) will sound worse
biggrin.gif

My upgrade has destroyed some of my favorite songs. But I found many more new ones to replace them.

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #27 of 165
Quote:

That would be a dream come true, but I personally have my doubts. As long as it's more profitable to spend money on marketing instead of R&D, there'll be companies going that route.

As for yourself, I don't think we can't fault you for not trying at this point, even if many of us are honestly amazed that you're not hearing improvements. Even my own setup, though it's not what many here would consider "High-end", has given me significant improvements over just my computer sound card (which is what many would consider a fairly high-end sound card). But I'd say go with what works for you - if better amplification isn't helping you personally, maybe concentrate on the headphones. Lots of fun to had there too.

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #28 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you specify exactly what gear you used to base your opinion that all hifi gear is worthless?

Even my friends that couldn't care less about how good their headphones are can tell the difference between an ipod, a dac/amp, and a tube amp.

Mostly Head Direct EF2 with all different types of music, and high bitrate mp3 and lossless files.

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #29 of 165
Quote:

Mostly Head Direct EF2 with all different types of music, and high bitrate mp3 and lossless files.

Buy a used DAC around $100-200, one that you can resell without any trouble and recoup your cost, or buy one from a store with a return policy. The EF2 is a good amp, but the DAC is apparently the weak part of it.

Or sell it now and be content with much more affordable musical bliss/ignorance
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back