True wireless on-ear headphones?
Sep 22, 2020 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Stubrak

New Head-Fier
Anyone know if these exist? I can't use in-ear headphones of any kind, and am looking for some kind of clip-on on-ear, like a Koss KSC75, but true wireless — I realise battery life wouldn't be great, but that doesn't matter too much. I could compromise on maybe a cable between the earpieces, but really don't want a neck-band.

I care about sound quality but they wouldn't be my primary listening phones so wouldn't need to be amazing, and I couldn't spend much more than about £50 — for an idea of the kind of thing I'm used to, I currently use Sennheiser HD595s for classical (non-orchestral) and jazz, Philips Fidelio X2HR for pop/rock and orchestral, B&W PX when I need noise cancelling or don't want to leak sound, and Koss Porta Pro when I'm out and need something light.

Would really appreciate any recommendations!

Sep 22, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #4 of 10
Sep 22, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 10
The KSC75 (they are excellent, but you will hear the outside world) combined with a Fiio Bluetooth amp might be what you are looking for. The battery life would probably surprise you.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-Bluetooth-Receiver-Built-Support-Black/dp/B07KXDJBYJ - £22
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Koss-KSC75-Stereo-Headphones-Smartphone/dp/B0006B486K - £17

You can have both for under your budget and amazon returns policy is incredible to allow you to try at home. Hope that helps.

That might do the trick. I did have a pair of KSC75s before and I enjoy the sound they make, but they went the way of my last set of Porta Pros and died at the jack <sigh> — less likely to be an issue attached to a dongle; would act like the sacrificial adapter I use with my Porta Pros now. It's a shame to have to have all these wires dangling around just because I can't use in-ears, but it looks like for now this is my best option if I don't want a neck-band.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Sep 22, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 10
You are most welcome!

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #8 of 10
Human Headphones are true wireless, but they cost above £50. I have not listened to them.

So they do exist…

It's possible this is good news for me, even if they're out of my price range — I guess there's a chance other people will start to make cheaper versions, unless they're a massive flop.

Sep 23, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #9 of 10
You can also connect 2-pin or MMCX headphones to FiiO UTWS1. Perhaps modding Koss headphones to connect them is an option.

If you can compromise on true wireless, then consider Koss KSC35 Wireless or Koss BT221i.

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #10 of 10
You can also connect 2-pin or MMCX headphones to FiiO UTWS1. Perhaps modding Koss headphones to connect them is an option.

If you can compromise on true wireless, then consider Koss KSC35 Wireless or Koss BT221i.

Those look like the closest I'm going to get without spending three weeks' income or going on an electronics course… I've not heard fantastic things about the KSC35's sound but as I said it would be for everyday dossing about (to replace a pair of horrible £8 Panasonic clip-ons I got when my KSC75s died and I had no money to get new ones). Don't know anything about the BT221i; will investigate.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back