Troublesome HD650 burn-in
Jan 28, 2005 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Daroid

1000+ Head-Fier
My new HD650s have been burning in for about 80 hours now and to be honest they sound pretty bad. There are still a lot of areas where I prefer the HD25-1.
The best way to describe how the HD650 currently sound is boomy, baloony, congested mids, with slightly congested bass with good extension and a clear recess around 3.5 kHz, but otherwise well detailed treble but maybe with a slight roll-off... the mids bug me enough not to be able to notice a roll-off.
Is this normal even after the 80 hours mark ? I searched and people say they lost the bass at around this point in the burn-in process. Also the treble should be severely rolled off. I really experience neither of this - are these headphones broken ?

System used: RME digi 96/8 pad (blackgate mod) -> SDS Labs Headphone amp (other people use HD600 and such with this amp).

Jan 28, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 49
Just to clarify something, I've been burning in my 650s for 24 hours now. What you mean by burning in is that you play music countinusly, 24/7. Am I correct? You can't pause overnight or somehting like that..?

Jan 28, 2005 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 49
Well, you can pause overnight, but then it wouldn't be burning in for that period of time
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 49
Glad to hear that... looks like i'm not even half done yet
biggrin.gif

The box the HD650 comes in is very convenient. Put it inside it, at close it, put a sweater on top of it and hide itside a closet, and close the door. That's what i've been doing for the past three nights
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 49
burning in headphones for 200 hours, this is getting ridiculous now.

Jan 28, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 49
Just out of curiosity though, keep us posted on what you think of them after you hit the 200+ mark. I never really logged my impressions of my phones as they burned it, I just open up the package and start listening to them.

Jan 28, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 49
I'll update the thread when more happens (I'll keep count on burn-in time). Hehe the problem with just listening to the headphones and just let them play isn't funny for me in this case when they sound like they do
icon10.gif

Patience is a bitch...

Jan 29, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #10 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daroid
I'll update the thread when more happens (I'll keep count on burn-in time). Hehe the problem with just listening to the headphones and just let them play isn't funny for me in this case when they sound like they do
icon10.gif

Patience is a bitch...

Just put them on your ears and use them. This 'burn-in' stuff is a crock of poo.....

Jan 29, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #11 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Scarpitti
Just put them on your ears and use them. This 'burn-in' stuff is a crock of poo.....

biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #12 of 49
i put 250 hours on mine before i bothered listening to them. sennheiser's need time. i used cd repeat play with michael jackson's 'thriller' because of it's heavy bass & played it at the loudest possible volume without damaging the 650's. the cans were stuffed in a cabinet with pillows & duct taped shut.

also, aftermarket cables make a difference. i give silver 300 hours of burn-in before i will listen to them. 550 hours of michael jackson can drive you crazy. i was already crazy so that not matter much.

you can save time by replacing the stock cables a.s.a.p. with new ones or you can buy used ones that are already burnt.

Jan 29, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #13 of 49
Mr. Scarpitti, He heh, I knew you would tune in sooner or later. Sometimes i'm doubting wether burn-in exists or not, but I'll bet there is something mental/psychological involved too. Can't prove anything, can't disprove it either.

At least they always play music in the box now. i have only listened for short periods of time (read: ~three seconds) three or four times the ~90 hours I've owned them now. 1: Right out of the box 2: At some other point (can't remember), 3: Just before creating this thread and 4: Just now, and now most of the congested midrange has disappeared, bass is still as it always has been though.
take everything with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Stevio, I see.... But I still don't feel like spending anything extras on cables and such when i don't even know what it is supposed to sound like (i.e. maxed out) after physical/psychological burn in. After all, the stock cable at least isn't oxidized lamp wire
tongue.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #14 of 49
Sounds real familiar. i broke mine in by listening to them because I wanted to observe the process. I've never had a pair of headphones that went through changes the way the HD650 did. They really do get muddy and congested, just as described, and then the music starts to come back in stages, and it's all worth it.

If I had it to do over, I'd stick them in a drawer and let them entertain themselves.
biggrin.gif

BW

Jan 29, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #15 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Scarpitti

Burn in is real, its not that hard to simply buy two pairs of headphones, burn one in, compare to a new pair, the results are fairly obvious (at least for high end sennheiser models).

Example: I compared my 580s to a friends fresh in the box pair, there was a difference in sound, even my non-audiophile friend could hear a 'difference' but no serious testing was done, burn-in is usually taken seriously in the audio world. Many other people here have done the same. I think someone even took RMAA measurements to show the differences as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back