Troubleshooting: computer makes noises in headphone but not on speakers?
Jul 17, 2008 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

SawaFish

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

I really appreciate any help on this since it very annoying. I have a X-Fi XtremeMusic soundcard, I've plugged a splitter into it, one side goes to my T20 speakers who sound fine. The other connection of the splitter goes to my Little Dot MKII amplifier, when I use it, I can hear noises made by the computer. It's so annoying I can't use the MKII anymore. Has somebody an idea on how to overcome this problem?

thanks

Jul 20, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #3 of 4
Your headphones are more sensitive than the speakers, so you're hearing all the RFI and associated noise inside your computer that your speakers don't reproduce. The noise is going to them, though. Switching power supplies make a whole lot of RFI. So do the cooling fans. It is possible to shield a soundcard from the noise, but it is trial and error and you'll have to spend some money on shielding material.

The best solution is to move your source outside of your computer. You can use an external DAC, a CD player, or, even better, a turntable.
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 4
If the noise only occurs w/the use of the splitter then try using a switch instead.

Also, you could try swapping PCI slots w/something else on the board. I've never had much luck w/this myself, but, it's usually suggested as an easy possible fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back