Troubleshooting a Total Bithead
Dec 15, 2007 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

zartemis

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for advice on troubleshooting a new Total Bithead. I sent email to support a couple days ago and while I wait for a response (and I'm not free to phone during their business hours), I'm wondering if anyone here has some ideas about what I should try.

I'm trying to use the USB connection and it seems to have trouble staying "connected". The computer thinks it's attached, the light goes on, and then a few seconds/minutes later, it thinks it is disconnected and the light goes out on the bithead and it will cycle back and forth. I've tried making sure the USB cable is firmly seated and I've tried it on two different laptops, but it does the same thing. I've also tried two different sets of batteries, and with no batteries (since in this mode it should get power from the USB).

Also, when I do get sound, even with the gain switch on high and computer volume at max it's not all that loud, and it has a somewhat noisy sound floor (much more than out of the computer directly). I've tried with two different headphones, the Shure e500 and the ath-w5000.

I use an Apogee Mini-Dac on my desktop, which works great. I was hoping to use the Total Bithead for my laptop and portable.

Any ideas on what else I should try or what I might be doing wrong?

Dec 15, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 6
Do you have the Apogee connected at the same time? For some reason that I do not understand when I have tried to connect to external DAC's at the same time my computer will not see both.

Dec 16, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #4 of 6
No, I haven't tried it with my desktop. I'm hesitant to do so because I'm very happy with my desktop audio setup and it's my main listening computer. I'm a bit fearful of upsetting the configuration (I'm a linux admin and my listening desktop is a Windows machine and I have weak Windows skills).

The bithead does have this problem with both of my laptops, one is a Toshiba tablet PC and the other is a Thinkpad. I haven't used the Apogee with either of them.

All three PCs (the two laptops and the desktop) run Windows XP.

Dec 16, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #5 of 6
have you tried it with an analog source like an ipod?
also, have you tried a different usb cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back