TRN impressions thread
Mar 3, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #2,626 of 3,805
I'm looking at reviews for the Dunu Zen and realized that the TA1 is tuned almost exactly the same. I guess they must sound similar too (aside from technicalities, of course)?

The Zen's FR for reference:

That is interesting. I also realized the LZ A6mini has sort of similar tuning but different magnitude at the troughs and crests. I find them actually sounding kind of similar too and both are good for vocals but average for instrumental music.
20210304_084203.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #2,627 of 3,805
I'm looking at reviews for the Dunu Zen and realized that the TA1 is tuned almost exactly the same. I guess they must sound similar too (aside from technicalities, of course)?

1614811465964.png

Hybrid versus single DD caveat applies here.

Mar 4, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #2,628 of 3,805

1614811465964.png

Hybrid versus single DD caveat applies here.

Agreed with @unifutomaki . Graphs are just a rough indication of the FR, but they don't tell the full story. Other than the aforementioned technical aspects, timbral accuracy, bass decay etc also can't be gleaned from a standard FR.

Mar 4, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #2,629 of 3,805
Anyone know the tuning of the IM1 Pro? Any users here? I know it's an old model and only zpolt has a video review on YT...

It's currently on sale for 9 USD on the TRN Official Store (Lazada). Wondering if I should grab a pair.

1614844304281.png

Mar 4, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #2,630 of 3,805
Anyone know the tuning of the IM1 Pro? Any users here? I know it's an old model and only zpolt has a video review on YT...

It's currently on sale for 9 USD on the TRN Official Store (Lazada). Wondering if I should grab a pair.

Never got to hear it, but I got the trn STM, and it sounds way better than it's price. It sounds a little behind my tfz no.3. I just got the kbear ks1 yesterday and it sounds like it might be my best iem. I can't recommend both the STM and ks1 enough.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #2,631 of 3,805
Never got to hear it, but I got the trn STM, and it sounds way better than it's price. It sounds a little behind my tfz no.3. I just got the kbear ks1 yesterday and it sounds like it might be my best iem. I can't recommend both the STM and ks1 enough.
I see. Thanks, anyways. If I do pull the trigger, it will be my first TRN and first hybrid. But I am swamped with pending IEMs to review so I don't know if I'd actually have the time.

Regarding the KS1, with my very brief listen (posted on the KB Ear thread), it has convinced me that it is also the best IEM I have heard. The only negative I have is the bass quantity, which I personally would have wanted less, but it is easy to fix with some tape on the vent.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #2,632 of 3,805

1614844304281.png
Trn house sound which is very similar to KZ. Afaik, it had good bass but still a V-shaped signature. Had auditioned them while they were new as one of my mates got them. For $9, you don't have any leeway to go wrong but EDX and ST1 slightly better options in that price bracket

Mar 4, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #2,633 of 3,805
Trn house sound which is very similar to KZ. Afaik, it had good bass but still a V-shaped signature. Had auditioned them while they were new as one of my mates got them. For $9, you don't have any leeway to go wrong but EDX and ST1 slightly better options in that price bracket
If you say the EDX is slightly better, then I guess I won't be buying them 😃 I've got the EDX coming in a few days and I'm curious if it will live up to the hype.

Mar 4, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #2,634 of 3,805
If you say the EDX is slightly better, then I guess I won't be buying them 😃 I've got the EDX coming in a few days and I'm curious if it will live up to the hype.
EDX is my go to IEMs for watching movies/shows. They give that theatrical effect especially with their detail retrieval. They either need an amp if using via mobile or run by a powerful source like laptop/desktop. They scale beautifully with just a little bump in power. You will love them. Also, do tip roll with other tips. I am using them with L size Sennheiser CX 3.00 tips and they sound splendid. White starlines are little underwhelming IMO

Mar 4, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #2,635 of 3,805
Also, if folks are looking for cheap BT solution and like TRN products then they should check out BT20 on Shenzhenaudio.com

Retailing for $15. Totally worth if someone's looking for a cheap backup. I have been super unlucky with their BT20 S variant but $15 seems like a harmless gamble for light portable use. Would not recommend to use them while gymming if you profusely perspire.

https://shenzhenaudio.com/collectio...ok-upgrade-cable-2pin-mmcx-connector-earphone

Mar 5, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #2,636 of 3,805
My TA1 just arrived. First impressions are there is more bass than expected. I think my unit has the pre-production tuning?

Mar 5, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #2,637 of 3,805
My TA1 just arrived. First impressions are there is more bass than expected. I think my unit has the pre-production tuning?
Would like to know your impressions on the overall balance and timbre for a budget hybrid. They look elegant and are definitely on my radar but if it has acutely V-shaped tuning then that's a big bummer for me. TIA.

Mar 5, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #2,638 of 3,805
Would like to know your impressions on the overall balance and timbre for a budget hybrid. They look elegant and are definitely on my radar but if it has acutely V-shaped tuning then that's a big bummer for me. TIA.
I should have a good idea of how I feel about them by tomorrow. :) I'm not the most experienced listener though, so things like timbre still elude me a bit.

Mar 5, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #2,639 of 3,805
I should have a good idea of how I feel about them by tomorrow. :) I'm not the most experienced listener though, so things like timbre still elude me a bit.
It's absolutely fine. Do they sound natural or has some artificial sounds to acoustic instruments? All of us here are learning everyday so all impressions and opinions are important. Hope you enjoy your new IEMs :)

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #2,640 of 3,805
I listened to a couple of piano concertos and I think they sound a little "thicker" than the BL-03, but they don't sound unnatural. The soundstage feels a bit more congested because of the thicker notes. Otherwise, I find that they both sound pretty similar (a relaxed sound) though I would give the Blons the edge. I haven't tested the TA1 with many vocal tracks yet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back