TRN impressions thread
Nov 19, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #2,506 of 3,805
I see the TRN V90S going at $19.90 USD during the upcoming Black Friday Aliexpress sale: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001518935278.html

Well at full price of $50 USD I would hesitate to give it a strong rec due to the wealth of competition at that price bracket. But at $19.90, I think that's a fine deal. It's a V shaped set with good technical performance, wide soundstage. Tuned not as hot in upper mids/treble as the typical TRN/KZ fare. The ferrari red colour is quite unique too. Cons are average isolation, maybe metallic timbre for woodwinds/brass instruments and overly recessed mids (not for mids/vocal lovers).

Otherwise it does most other things well. Quite a good set for V shaped genres like rock. This and the TRN STM are actually my favourite TRNs this year.

Capture2.PNG

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #2,507 of 3,805
I see the TRN V90S going at $19.90 USD during the upcoming Black Friday Aliexpress sale: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001518935278.html

Well at full price of $50 USD I would hesitate to give it a strong rec due to the wealth of competition at that price bracket. But at $19.90, I think that's a fine deal. It's a V shaped set with good technical performance, wide soundstage. Tuned not as hot in upper mids/treble as the typical TRN/KZ fare. The ferrari red colour is quite unique too. Cons are average isolation, maybe metallic timbre for woodwinds/brass instruments and overly recessed mids (not for mids/vocal lovers).

Capture2.PNG

That is a fantastic deal for what it is. Will probably get them just to have them then.

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #2,509 of 3,805

Otherwise it does most other things well. Quite a good set for V shaped genres like rock. This and the TRN STM are actually my favourite TRNs this year.

That is more inline with reality... they really messed up V90s IMO, I wonder if I can refund my ear monitor.
I will never buy ear monitor blindly again...will wait for the review first... so far V90s has been a disaster for me... very cramped soundstage and imaging...

$19.90 is about the price point for V90s, since KZ ED9 can easily match the sound profile of that V90s and that's just $12 IEM

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #2,510 of 3,805

I quite like the V90s, timbre and V-shape tuning (the top end is much better than KZ ZAX thou) may not be for everyone but staging and imaging wise they are pretty good I really don't understand the complains and at this price I call it a steal!

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #2,511 of 3,805
I quite like the V90s, timbre and V-shape tuning (the top end is much better than KZ ZAX thou) may not be for everyone but staging and imaging wise they are pretty good I really don't understand the complains and at this price I call it a steal!

$19.90 is a good price, I am not paying $49 anymore for subpar V90s. I am not sure about the tuning, to me it was very bad. Not good sounding at all out of the box, has to be heavily EQed.

Nov 20, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #2,512 of 3,805
$19.90 is a good price, I am not paying $49 anymore for subpar V90s. I am not sure about the tuning, to me it was very bad. Not good sounding at all out of the box, has to be heavily EQed.
But you mentioned cramped soundstage and imaging, they are supposed to be quite good no matter how bad the timbre is. It doesn't make sense. There must be something wrong in the signal chain.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #2,513 of 3,805
But you mentioned cramped soundstage and imaging, they are supposed to be quite good no matter how bad the timbre is. It doesn't make sense. There must be something wrong in the signal chain.

i think so... I asked them to replace, but I have to send it back to them with extra $10 in the mail...
I asked them to give $10 discount to be used during black friday to purchase 2 of them... otherwise... I will not but anything from them anymore from Aliexpress. Will do through Amazon only, so I can return it without problems if there's a problem

Nov 21, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #2,514 of 3,805
That is more inline with reality... they really messed up V90s IMO, I wonder if I can refund my ear monitor.
I will never buy ear monitor blindly again...will wait for the review first... so far V90s has been a disaster for me... very cramped soundstage and imaging...

$19.90 is about the price point for V90s, since KZ ED9 can easily match the sound profile of that V90s and that's just $12 IEM

Could your set be out of phase?

Check out this link:

It's quite obvious if u are out of phase, the music sounds weird and as though it is coming from behind the ears. If u are out of phase, just reverse one side's cable pin direction and u are good to go.

Nov 21, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #2,515 of 3,805
Could your set be out of phase?

Check out this link:

It's quite obvious if u are out of phase, the music sounds weird and as though it is coming from behind the ears. If u are out of phase, just reverse one side's cable pin direction and u are good to go.

that might be it, sent mine back, waiting for the new one, but not very happy with TRN aliexpress store...

Nov 22, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #2,516 of 3,805
DSC07746.jpg

The TRN V90S is a hybrid in-ear monitor (IEM) with a 1 dynamic driver (DD)+ 5 balanced armature (BA) configuration. The V90S is a direct successor to the TRN V90, which I previously reviewed about a year ago. Although it normally retails for around $50, the V90S will be available for $20 on TRN’s official AliExpress store for just $20.

The TRN V90S has a V-shaped sound signature, though it is less V-shaped than the original TRN V90. It meaningfully improves on the V90 in a number of ways, including its bass presentation, midrange tuning, and venting solution. However, the biggest difference between the V90 and the V90S is the V90S’ exaggerated upper treble emphasis. There is far too much air, which creates an unnaturally airy sheen over the entire presentation. These issues keep me from giving the V90S my recommendation, especially at its original price.

My full review, with measurements, comparisons with the TRN V90 and Moondrop SSR, and additional images, is available on my blog:
https://medium.com/bedrock-reviews/trn-v90s-review-55f92ba1498e

Nov 22, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #2,517 of 3,805
More relevant comparisons of V90s would be ZSX and C12, as well as ZS10 pro and C10, since TRN once broke out of KZ (I somehow picture it as a part of KZ that did not want to bother with any quality control...)

I am also sorry to add that T4 cables are not worth their money, in my opinion/experience (while T2 and T3 are quite competitive to the best of my limited critical opinion).

Nov 24, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #2,518 of 3,805
More relevant comparisons of V90s would be ZSX and C12, as well as ZS10 pro and C10, since TRN once broke out of KZ (I somehow picture it as a part of KZ that did not want to bother with any quality control...)

I am also sorry to add that T4 cables are not worth their money, in my opinion/experience (while T2 and T3 are quite competitive to the best of my limited critical opinion).
I haven't listened to the ZSX in a while, but the ZAX is a much better IEM than the V90S. I haven't spent a lot of time listening to the C12 but I'll review them at some point.

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #2,519 of 3,805
I haven't listened to the ZSX in a while, but the ZAX is a much better IEM than the V90S. I haven't spent a lot of time listening to the C12 but I'll review them at some point.

I agreed wholeheartedly ZAX left V90s with a lot of dust...

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #2,520 of 3,805
I listen to strings a lot and I find the ZAX extremely unnatural. Other than strings they are fine so I don't agree they are 'much better' here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back