TRN impressions thread
Oct 30, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #2,446 of 3,805
I have to update my review, TRN store just got an earful sending me ear monitor like that... finally it came through... after burning 24 hours nonstop and left it outside... Not sure what's going on... TRN always have quality control issue.

Mid still recessed, a bit bass bleed into the mid, tame treble like CA16.

ZAX owner and treble head will not like this for sure.

I have to do a lot of EQing to get this up to par to other IEMs that I owned, without EQ, still sounds nothing like any other IEM in its class or that I owned.

+2 500hz and 1k
+2 4k
+5 8k
+9 16k
I also have to upped the bass a bit.

Without EQ, this one definitely a neutral IEM. I would probably will still stick to CA16 more without EQ.
With the comply foam tips, I like the fit better. It is the smallest compared to CA16, ZAX, even smaller than ZS10 PRO

A bit disappointed with TRN lack of quality control.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #2,447 of 3,805
I only have one trn earphone the v60 a 2 dynamic, one ba in the nozzle iem. I paid £22 for it about 18 months ago, and have no problem with it. There were initial reports of a faulty ba driver but mine are good. They are bass heavy though, but that's just the tuning and is fine with me. I also have trn bt20 none S, which is also fine qc wise. I've had a minor problem with a trn cable which snapped a pin into a kz zsr, but that was my fault, for stuffing them into my pocket. I don't use the other cable of the same model, because it became very stiff, with sweat like the old ultimate ears cable, circa 2010.

I guess it might be case of Russian roulette with their qc. I'm just trying to put the other side of the argument. For £22 the v60 are quite good if you want a bass head v shaped iem. Probably too much bass for most on here though.

Oct 31, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #2,448 of 3,805
I am almost certain your pair is faulty. I only agree with you on recessed mid, but mine has detailed bass, good stage and supreme clarity especially on vocal. It may sound unnatural due to the recessed mid but after EQ I think the sound reproduction is very realistic. I also have CA16, ZAX and ZS10 Pro and I prefer this over them. I paired mine with a copper-gold-silver cable and this combo is just the best for vocal tracks imho. Can't ask for more.

poor imaging and soundstage IMO

Try this track and compare it with your CA16, you will understand.

Even ZAX still behind CA16 for imaging

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #2,449 of 3,805
I haven't had the time or courage to listen to the TRN BA8 yet, but I have been thoroughly enjoying the V90S. They're a definite improvement over the original V90, with a much more refined bass presentation and a slightly less exaggerated upper midrange.
TRN QC did bite me however, in that the cable that arrived with the V90S was defective. I'm using the V90S with the BA8's cable, which seems identical.
TRN V90S.jpg

Nov 3, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #2,452 of 3,805
Apologies in advance if I missed this in the thread, but has anyone considered swapping the ST1 back plate onto the STM? I have both and will admit being lazy with listening and evaluating the STM filters, but my initial impressions with the STM 30019 BA is that its much smoother than the 30095 in the ST1, and maybe soundstage would improve if it was more open.

Further admission of guilt, not much evaluation of the ST1, initial impressions were just another cheap single DD single 30095 BA, hot treble but not bad for the price.

I do like filters, and any comments are appreciated, even if you just say I should put in more time/effort to listen to them both first.

Nov 3, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #2,453 of 3,805
I agree with your assessment except for the fact that you say EQ makes it sound more realistic, perhaps look into how EQ works but it is anything but realistic. Plus so many other variables people never mention: individual ear anatomy, ear tips used, unit variance, etc.

I respect your point of view. However, IMO at any stage of mastering/recording there has to be some sort of EQing, either analogue or digital, involved in the process of making the music. I used to play the electric guitar and I learnt a lot while recording my own playing. I used both digital and analogue storm boxes and software amp simulations and they are all about EQing. I am also familiar with how the strings and piano and other instruments sound and I used to be a Tenor in my school choir with the school orchestra too. And most importantly the production of these earphones also heavily relies on tuning the frequency response of these BAs, DDs, etc, ie. EQing. For example these V90s are tuned to have recessed mids to make them sound different than the rest in the market which created some haters including myself which I "fixed" the sound with EQ.

Anyway, I appreciate your input. Maybe neutral/natural is the word that your more prefer.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #2,454 of 3,805
I respect your point of view. However, IMO at any stage of mastering/recording there has to be some sort of EQing, either analogue or digital, involved in the process of making the music. I used to play the electric guitar and I learnt a lot while recording my own playing. I used both digital and analogue storm boxes and software amp simulations and they are all about EQing. I am also familiar with how the strings and piano and other instruments sound and I used to be a Tenor in my school choir with the school orchestra too. And most importantly the production of these earphones also heavily relies on tuning the frequency response of these BAs, DDs, etc, ie. EQing. For example these V90s are tuned to have recessed mids to make them sound different than the rest in the market which created some haters including myself which I "fixed" the sound with EQ.

Anyway, I appreciate your input. Maybe neutral/natural is the word that your more prefer.

Imaging and sound stage average at best, not just the mids...

you can check my review here:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/trn-v90s.24749/reviews

Nov 3, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #2,455 of 3,805
Imaging and sound stage average at best, not just the mids...

you can check my review here:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/trn-v90s.24749/reviews

It's ok, we all hear differently and have different preference. I have no comment on the imaging as they are good enough but stage is still pretty good imo. I never use those cheap stock cables and eartips btw and that can make a difference too. My new favorite tips are the JVC spiral dot, give them a try. I compared the V90s with the Tri i3 and I am confident to say the V90s can sound just as good as the Tri i3.

Nov 3, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #2,456 of 3,805
It's ok, we all hear differently and have different preference. I have no comment on the imaging as they are good enough but stage is still pretty good imo. I never use those cheap stock cables and eartips btw and that can make a difference too. My new favorite tips are the JVC spiral dot, give them a try. I compared the V90s with the Tri i3 and I am confident to say the V90s can sound just as good as the Tri i3.

I used Comply foam tips and the silver cable from TRN does not improve anything...

I was surprised and taken aback by its sound stage and imaging. I really love listening to busy music...and this one surely not for it.

I have reached out to TRN store, but they said that what I reviewed is about right and my monitor is not faulty despite what happens in the beginning. So then... there goes.

Kind of regret buying it for $50, I could get ASF instead.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #2,457 of 3,805
I used Comply foam tips and the silver cable from TRN does not improve anything...

I was surprised and taken aback by its sound stage and imaging. I really love listening to busy music...and this one surely not for it.

I have reached out to TRN store, but they said that what I reviewed is about right and my monitor is not faulty despite what happens in the beginning. So then... there goes.

Kind of regret buying it for $50, I could get ASF instead.

I do not prefer foam tips as they can kill a lot of sound. Also I don't think it is good to pair the V90s with a silver cable. The stock silver cable has poor low end response and can make the already boosted treble sounds even sharper. I use a 8 core silver and gold plated copper cable and I really dig the sound. You will benefit from thicker cables. I think you really need the TRN T2 which is a silver plate OCC cable, cheap (about $8 on AE) and works super well with almost any IEM.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #2,458 of 3,805

I think EQ can fix certain stuff in the frequency response but it won't fix some issues like timbre, imaging, instrument separation, speed of driver.

The TRN V90S has quite a bad timbre for acoustic instruments IMHO. I have both V90S and TRI I3 and TRI I3 is for me the superior IEM (when amped), in terms of timbre, soundstage, lush mids/note weight, imaging and tonality. Maybe u can EQ the depressed mids of the V90S up to get a general similar frequency response, but the timbre doesn't change. TRN V90S is good for music genres not really incorporating acoustic instruments though.

Nov 4, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #2,459 of 3,805
I think EQ can fix certain stuff in the frequency response but it won't fix some issues like timbre, imaging, instrument separation, speed of driver.

The TRN V90S has quite a bad timbre for acoustic instruments IMHO. I have both V90S and TRI I3 and TRI I3 is for me the superior IEM (when amped), in terms of timbre, soundstage, lush mids/note weight, imaging and tonality. Maybe u can EQ the depressed mids of the V90S up to get a general similar frequency response, but the timbre doesn't change. TRN V90S is good for music genres not really incorporating acoustic instruments though.

Ok I agree with your listening experience mostly especially on timbre. The timbre of the V90s is not the most natural I have heard for sure as they are so focused on the micro details on the upper end like using a pair of magnifying glasses and that's why I think they are superb for vocal. For acoustic instrument I think they only sound bad with plugged-in acoustic guitar which the top end is already overly emphasized by the amp and pickups (I play the guitar and these amps and pickups kill the mid and boost the top always). They still sound just as good with violin, viola, cello.

I listen to Hilary Hahn (violin), Ophelie Gaillard (Cello) for example and I don't hear any problems at all. Also the Tri i3 mid is just slightly over boosted to my liking making some tracks slight unclear at time but I would agree the i3 has much better out of the box tuning to the V90s. The violin for example actually sounds much thinner than you hear on these earphones in real life maybe we are just too used to having thicker sounds. Digital reverberation, recording hall size, miking (analogue reverb) all thicken the sound imo. Frankly speaking, the i3 may sound good with acoustic instruments but the overly thickened mid is really too much and sound "unrealistic" although I still appreciate this tuning.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #2,460 of 3,805

I agreed on this one... based on that Wagakki Band sound test... oh man... they sounded awful with V90S, and superb with CA16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back