TRN impressions thread
Jun 27, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #2,221 of 3,805
so sorry to hear that Slater, so infamous TRN QC they need to up still a problem to date. My BA5 right connector is wobbly. Well not as bad as Crinacle that get 1 of his low freq BA down, so he get BA5 and BA4. TRN need to care about their QC and buil quality seriously. These are importantly same with tuning.

Despite their past fake cable issues, I was impressed with their T3 cable. And I see people recommending the BA5 and V90 all the time. So I figured I would give their IEMs a try.

Way back during the anniversary sale, I was looking for something cheap to add to my cart to bump up the total to get some coupon fu (like $20 off $100 or something).

Anyways, I figured I would give the IM2 a chance. It was cheap enough, looked nice, had a full resin body, separate sound tubes, metal nozzle, etc.

They finally showed up yesterday after waiting like 3 months. I just never expected they would blow up after a few hours.

It’s a shame, it’s a really nicely constructed earphone. The sound tuning wasn’t that great, which is why I’m not even going to open a dispute for a replacement pair.

Jun 27, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #2,222 of 3,805
Despite their past fake cable issues, I was impressed with their T3 cable. And I see people recommending the BA5 and V90 all the time. So I figured I would give their IEMs a try.

Way back during the anniversary sale, I was looking for something cheap to add to my cart to bump up the total to get some coupon fu (like $20 off $100 or something).

Anyways, I figured I would give the IM2 a chance. It was cheap enough, looked nice, had a full resin body, separate sound tubes, metal nozzle, etc.

They finally showed up yesterday after waiting like 3 months. I just never expected they would blow up after a few hours.

It’s a shame, it’s a really nicely constructed earphone. The sound tuning wasn’t that great, which is why I’m not even going to open a dispute for a replacement pair.
Sorry to read about this. I have been considering both the V90 and BA5. Still seems that QC is an issue with TRN products. Makes me more likely to toss any spare $ at KZ. Very close to pulling the plug on the ZSX.

Jun 28, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #2,223 of 3,805
2 day old TRN IM2. They have about 4 hours of music on them.

While listening to normal music at a fairly low volume, I hear a full volume giant electrical CRACK or POP sound from the right ear. The BA driver must have blown, because there is zero treble from the right ear. Or maybe it was one of the crossover components (I can see a capacitor and/or resistor on the back of the dynamic driver).

This is the 1st time in my life I’ve ever had anything like this happen to any IEM. Sadly, this is my 1st TRN earphone.
I had that happen my kz s1. I could actually hear the one of them crackling from a metre away. Not entirely sure what caused it.

Jun 28, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #2,224 of 3,805
It's a crying shame about their BAs flaking out, I'd love to be able to recommend the BA5 but it's just too much of a gamble. Not that it's held me back personally :wink:
IMG_20200628_115106-01.jpeg

Both pairs get solid usage as they fit my wife perfectly with KZ starlines (Eureka)!

Jun 29, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #2,225 of 3,805
I finally broke down and ordered the TRN BA5's
I ordered them from Alley Express with the cable that has the pause/play button. But also it comes with a higher quality cable as well.
I think its a 2nd cable also with a pause/play. Its silver and it was only about 5$ more.
Also ordered 4 iem cases and some extra ear tips.
yea!!! Hope it doesn't take too long to get here. I'm guessing about 3-4 weeks. But who knows.
Happy birthday to me!!! :)

Jun 29, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #2,226 of 3,805
So i finally received my gun metal V90's in the mail and first impression is that they sound really good. Let a friend try them out (with his own tips of course) and he agreed that they sounded different than his old blue pair that he bought last year. Maybe there was some small change in the manufacturing process that changed the sound for the better.

Jun 29, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #2,227 of 3,805
So i finally received my gun metal V90's in the mail and first impression is that they sound really good. Let a friend try them out (with his own tips of course) and he agreed that they sounded different than his old blue pair that he bought last year. Maybe there was some small change in the manufacturing process that changed the sound for the better.

I heard the newer ones sound a bit more neutral? I only have early one so mine sounds V shaped.

Jun 29, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #2,228 of 3,805
I like many have had problems with moisture plugging up the polymer mesh that’s under the metal mesh wax guard. When I removed it the mids came more forward. I wonder if TRN caught wind of this a removed the polymer themselves to avoid returns. Maybe shine a light to see if it’s still there.
99BBBB68-AFDA-4C5A-824E-F30C66DF0D06.jpeg

Jun 29, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #2,229 of 3,805
I like many have had problems with moisture plugging up the polymer mesh that’s under the metal mesh wax guard. When I removed it the mids came more forward. I wonder if TRN caught wind of this a removed the polymer themselves to avoid returns. Maybe shine a light to see if it’s still there.99BBBB68-AFDA-4C5A-824E-F30C66DF0D06.jpeg
I actually just did a similar mod on my BA5, I got a bunch of different "dust network" nozzle covers so I could do the "Slater mod" on my BL03, but this past weekend I decided to do the same with my BA5 due to the moisture issue. So far I haven't had any issues, sound is definitely brighter, but still not sibilant. I figure I can always do a small micropore tape mod or put some foam in the nozzle if I think the highs are too hot. Either of those options still should let more moisture escape compared to the stock covers with the black mesh screen glued in.

Jun 29, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #2,230 of 3,805
I actually just did a similar mod on my BA5, I got a bunch of different "dust network" nozzle covers so I could do the "Slater mod" on my BL03, but this past weekend I decided to do the same with my BA5 due to the moisture issue. So far I haven't had any issues, sound is definitely brighter, but still not sibilant. I figure I can always do a small micropore tape mod or put some foam in the nozzle if I think the highs are too hot. Either of those options still should let more moisture escape compared to the stock covers with the black mesh screen glued in.
I’ve had several pairs of phones exhibit the same problem and every time they had a polymer mesh, and removing them fixed the problem. I have a Bluetooth set that only had the polymer mesh. I would leave them in all night and by morning both sides would go totally quiet. Let them dry out all day and by the next evening they play normally for a while until going quiet again. I removed the mesh and run them naked and never had a problem again. For this mesh to eventually absorb enough moisture to make them go totally quiet shows the extreme effect they can have on sound even before going quiet. No wonder removing them can have a profound affect on the sound. Not a very good design to be influenced by such subtle variables. I’m amazed to find them in so many different IEMs. I believe they have caused many returns.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #2,231 of 3,805
Been tinkering with the BA5 a bit more this evening, I tested some tracks that I know can be treble trouble, and the BA5 honestly does run too hot without that mesh. Trying to find a happy balance with some foam inserted in the nozzle didn't really work (blunted the mids detail too much). I can't find my micropore tape at the moment - hopefully that works because otherwise I may have traded "occasionally malfunctions" for "occasionally is unpleasant to listen to" lol.

E: just cut the amount of foam I was using in half, and we're doing good now

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #2,232 of 3,805
Sadly, I have an older version of the V90 and even though many praised it at the time, I still find its sound sometimes a little strange and unnatural (although better than the V80). I think that TRN is just headlessly trying to chase KZ, to match them with the number of drivers, better design and a little better tuning of the same HW. I've been listening to x49 from NiceHCK for about 2 weeks and even though I didn't expect any miracle from 1BA for $ 14, I'm very surprised at how good it can sound. The X49 has a much better tonality and timbre than the V90, the TRN should be inspired by how the treble should be tuned to listen pleasantly and nothing lose in detail. The X49's are not perfect, but they show that more doesn't always mean better.
x49vsv90.png

Jul 2, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #2,233 of 3,805
I have a question for the BA5 fans. What do you consider to be an upgrade over the BA5? What has a similar presentation but is just doing it better?

For background, at the moment I've settled on the BA5 as my favorite set. Without disparaging other IEMs I've had, some of which aren't in my signature, I'm finding that nothing else has performance in the bass that I find to be its equal. DD sets tend to sound exaggerated and diffuse to me. To me, that's a characteristic of a consumer-oriented tuning and not an audiophile-oriented tuning (apologies for my directness). So I guess I am one of those rare creatures who prefers a BA bass. The BA5 is also very resolving, and I like the isolation the all-BA configuration provides.

Recently I took delivery of a more upscale all-BA IEM using all Knowles/Sonion drivers with dedicated tubes. I found it to be very disappointing. While it was very pleasant-sounding and without colorations that sounded "wrong," the overall presentation was quite soft and veiled. The BA5 is much more crisp and articulate by comparison. I sent those back to the manufacturer and I am left with doubts about how those tubes affect the character of an IEM.

I have a BLON BL-05 on the way for ages now so maybe that will be interesting when I finally get my hands on it. I imagine an IER-M9 would be my nirvana but I can't justify parting with that much cash for an IEM at this point in my life. Does anything else come to mind? I could just stick with the BA5 and be happy, but FOMO is real. :sweat_smile: :beyersmile:

Jul 2, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #2,234 of 3,805
I have a question for the BA5 fans. What do you consider to be an upgrade over the BA5? What has a similar presentation but is just doing it better?

For background, at the moment I've settled on the BA5 as my favorite set. Without disparaging other IEMs I've had, some of which aren't in my signature, I'm finding that nothing else has performance in the bass that I find to be its equal. DD sets tend to sound exaggerated and diffuse to me. To me, that's a characteristic of a consumer-oriented tuning and not an audiophile-oriented tuning (apologies for my directness). So I guess I am one of those rare creatures who prefers a BA bass. The BA5 is also very resolving, and I like the isolation the all-BA configuration provides.

Recently I took delivery of a more upscale all-BA IEM using all Knowles/Sonion drivers with dedicated tubes. I found it to be very disappointing. While it was very pleasant-sounding and without colorations that sounded "wrong," the overall presentation was quite soft and veiled. The BA5 is much more crisp and articulate by comparison. I sent those back to the manufacturer and I am left with doubts about how those tubes affect the character of an IEM.

I have a BLON BL-05 on the way for ages now so maybe that will be interesting when I finally get my hands on it. I imagine an IER-M9 would be my nirvana but I can't justify parting with that much cash for an IEM at this point in my life. Does anything else come to mind? I could just stick with the BA5 and be happy, but FOMO is real. :sweat_smile: :beyersmile:
I have been curious along these lines as well recently, in terms of seeking an all BA set that shares characterisics with the BA5. Most of my best sets are DD or hybrids. I had an IER-M9 on back order for a long time, but needed the cash for a home repair situation so I cancelled that order unfortunately.

I really enjoy the BA5 and would be interested to hear of all BA sets that share some of its characeristics. I have the all BA Toneking T4 that costs like 4x the BA5 but honestly I think it's worse than the BA5.

Also I want to note that the nozzle filter mod on the BA5 has worked out great for me. I used them this week for hours and hours of work video meetings and music listening, some of it outside in the heat, and have yet to encounter moisture failure. That never would've been the case before I did the modification. About 1/6th of a thin earbud donut foam placed into each nozzle is 👍

Jul 2, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #2,235 of 3,805

Ikko OH1 (1DD&1BA), Shozy Neo CP (3BA), maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back