TRN impressions thread
Mar 30, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #2,071 of 3,805
I am ready to post my review of the TRN ST1. Could someone create a page for the review as there doesn't seem to be one at present. Thanks!

Apr 2, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #2,074 of 3,805
Hi guys,

I just bought the TRN V90 and it arrived today :)

I must say, these have bass, particularly sub-bass. They also have mid bass but it may not be as perceptible because of their peak in treble. They are V-shaped after all.
I am treble-sensitive and I consider the treble on these a little hot. It's not unbearable, but after long sessions it can be tiring. If you equalize it down 3 or 4 dB on the 10MHz range, it's wonderful. Although i haven't found any need to do that for more than once and i have listened to them all day. Actually, when i turned down the treble a little bit, i missed it not long after. That spike brings a sort of air to instruments such as cymbals. Without it, they sound a little thick.

These react really well on songs with bass - DnB, Dubstep, Electronic. Breakdown VIP from Noisestorm has a really nice rumble, I was stunned :deadhorse:seriously, their bass is something.

They're not bad for other genres as well, Pop and Rock may sound a bit hollow because of the recessed mid range but i would say these make those genres sound laid back and relaxed. Some people may found these with little impact on those genres and call them "too v-shaped" but i think it's a consequence of having the superb bass so controlled and well behaved. Nevertheless they're still really fun and, for the price, a steal. This is a must have in my collection.

I wonder if the dynamic driver will change over the time with burn in.

Apr 2, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #2,075 of 3,805
Hi guys,

I just bought the TRN V90 and it arrived today :)

I must say, these have bass, particularly sub-bass. They also have mid bass but it may not be as perceptible because of their peak in treble. They are V-shaped after all.
I am treble-sensitive and I consider the treble on these a little hot. It's not unbearable, but after long sessions it can be tiring. If you equalize it down 3 or 4 dB on the 10MHz range, it's wonderful. Although i haven't found any need to do that for more than once and i have listened to them all day. Actually, when i turned down the treble a little bit, i missed it not long after. That spike brings a sort of air to instruments such as cymbals. Without it, they sound a little thick.

These react really well on songs with bass - DnB, Dubstep, Electronic. Breakdown VIP from Noisestorm has a really nice rumble, I was stunned :deadhorse:seriously, their bass is something.

They're not bad for other genres as well, Pop and Rock may sound a bit hollow because of the recessed mid range but i would say these make those genres sound laid back and relaxed. Some people may found these with little impact on those genres and call them "too v-shaped" but i think it's a consequence of having the superb bass so controlled and well behaved. Nevertheless they're still really fun and, for the price, a steal. This is a must have in my collection.

I wonder if the dynamic driver will change over the time with burn in.

Do you have other ear tips you can try? Often a different set of ear tips will noticeably change the sound.

Apr 2, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #2,077 of 3,805
Just picked up the BA5. very happy with it. I also grabbed an 8 core 4.4mm from Tripowin to use with the ba5 and my fiio m11.

Coming from the campfire atlas, the different in sound vs the difference in price (ignoring the difference in driver tech)..... The BA5 is well worth the asking price.

Considering the dynamic tuning it has, it really reminds me of a much cheaper fiio FH7. Build and all. Witch is saying something, because i really think quite highly of the FH7.

20200402_190521-02~2.jpeg

Apr 2, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #2,078 of 3,805
Just picked up the BA5. very happy with it. I also grabbed an 8 core 4.4mm from Tripowin to use with the ba5 and my fiio m11.

Coming from the campfire atlas, the different in sound vs the difference in price (ignoring the difference in driver tech)..... The BA5 is well worth the asking price.

Considering the dynamic tuning it has, it really reminds me of a much cheaper fiio FH7. Build and all. Witch is saying something, because i really think quite highly of the FH7.

20200402_190521-02~2.jpeg
Any condensation or driver fatigue (after using them for a while the drivers get tired and need a rest) problems?

Apr 2, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #2,079 of 3,805
I've only had them 1 day. I will be sure to report back. I'm hoping I got a good one, as these sound excellent.

When I think of how good the under $100 segment has become since the time I've been into this stuff..... Wow. It has grown to offer things I would have never thought I'd see.... Really fun time to be into earphones!

Apr 2, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #2,080 of 3,805
Any condensation or driver fatigue (after using them for a while the drivers get tired and need a rest) problems?

no humidity or muting of driver during longer wearing with the BA5

(had that issue with my V90 temporarily for some time but then it resolved itself somehow after blowing a few times through the nozzle - probably not advised though or needs to be done carefully since I heard some driver flex during the process of the dynamic driver !)

Apr 4, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #2,081 of 3,805
I did a little bit of tip rolling.
I've also got used to its treble now, i kinda miss the airiness and transparency of instruments when i eq it down.

So my findings were not much because i don't have that many tips but i tried these ones:

-LZ A4 foams: less bass, less treble, less comfort. Foams always hit me like that, even if i size it down, it will still make some pressure in my ears and cause them to go hot. The treble is tamed though, no spikes. The bass is a little bit tighter as well.
-Biflanges: more bass, same treble, slightly less comfort. They isolate better trading a little bit of comfort, but not too much. My ear canal is wide so it's not a problem for me. The treble remains lively but since you can now turn down the volume a little bit, it helps :)
-Narrow silicone (same as standard but the hole at the end is not wide): same bass, same treble, slightly less comfort. I haven't found significant changes with these. The comfort is just reduced because these tips are practically unused and little bit stiff, so you can ignore this part.

I would like to try with my Comply foams and Spinfits but i can't find them anywhere. Another pair of tips i really like is the Sony Foam Hybrid but the only pair i've got is the one who came with my Sony XB90 but their too small for this model. Several people seems to enjoy the JVC spiral dots as well. Don't have a clue how those would change the sound on the V90.

So, in the end, i'm good with the standard silicone ones that come in the package.
Thoughts? :)

Apr 6, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #2,084 of 3,805
A few months back there was controversy about Trn 16 core cables being bogus with a bunch of unsoldered cores. Are they verified to be legit now?
Only some older 6 and 8 core TRN have unsoldered wires, the newest 16 core and 8 core black/gold (called tiger) are ok.

Apr 6, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #2,085 of 3,805
Kinda necro but I can't find the older posts about this.

A few months back there was controversy about Trn 16 core cables being bogus with a bunch of unsoldered cores. Are they verified to be legit now?

Thanks @Slater

It’s the 6 and 8 core wires that have fake wires.

The 16 core cables are actually good cables.

I’d also avoid the black and yellow “Tiger” cable. The 8 core Tiger cable has overly thin gauge conductors inside the black (ground) wires, with the rest of the cable thickness being super thick rubber insulation. Kind of like a big potato chip bag having 7 chips inside, and the rest of the bag is filled with air. You’re paying for potato chips, not air.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back