TRN impressions thread
Jan 21, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #2,566 of 3,805
he V90s is really good
I also think that these are the best headphones from this company, better than their previous model without "s"(mean just v90). But, all the same, because of the short sound guide, the issue of landing for some people will be acute.

Jan 21, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #2,567 of 3,805
I also think that these are the best headphones from this company, better than their previous model without "s"(mean just v90). But, all the same, because of the short sound guide, the issue of landing for some people will be acute.

The BA5 isn't bad at all just with that tuning there is just a lot of competition at the price point. The V90s to me is one of the best in terms of stage, really good, fun and punchy bass, and most unnatural treble in a nice way. Fortunately I have no fit issue with this pair. In fact the pair fit into my ears like CIEM. :dt880smile:

Jan 21, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #2,569 of 3,805
What kind of eq correction curve are you guys using with the v90s?
Can't make it sound "right" to me comparing to CCA C12.
BA5 instead sounds only a bit treble muddy.
Here are some settings you can try.
SmartSelect_20210121-194205_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg

Jan 21, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #2,570 of 3,805
1b2d7e72-f93a-4a22-970d-33702fcc25e9.jpg

So after using the TRN T300 for a few more days, I daresay it is the best TWS I have tried so far, in terms of tonality. Smooth U shaped tuning, non fatiguing but still being able to bring forward vocals and instrumentation in the mix. The bass isn't the most textured, but otherwise, I quite like how balanced it is. I've been harsh on the wired TRN releases for 2020 (for tonality), but this set is truly very atypical for a TRN tuning. No harsh upper mids/treble/sibilance fest here, if they used this tuning in one of their wired releases, I'm sure it will sell well.

The TRN T300, as expected for a TWS, won't beat wired gear in the aspect of technicalities, but I do think it beats quite a few other TWS types in this area. There's perhaps a higher treble and subbass roll off, which is also common in other wireless gear. Dynamics are surprisingly good.

To top it off, the fit is very good (despite its larger size), and the connectivity and UI is quite good. It supports wireless charging too, has a battery life indicator and charging is fast, and it has IPX5 waterproof rating. Battery life is about average, I think on a single charge, it lasted me 3.5 - 4 hours, but this perhaps depends on your listening volume too.

So as a complete package, I think the TRN T300 is excellent for a TWS, I would definitely recommend this set for TWS lovers. Good to see that TRN starts off 2021 with a bang. Now I just hope their future wired releases focus more on tonality and tuning, rather than stuffing as many drivers as they can inside and focusing on outright technicalities.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #2,571 of 3,805
+1 on this. this is the main reason why I'm kinda intrigued by the new TA1. I like how this sounds more than my FIIL T1XS, and they are great for jogging because of the fit and tuning. I still feel like the price is a bit on the higher side because the battery life isn't as great, the 4 tap volume control is a bit annoying (if you miss 1 tap it launches voice assistant), and the included tips didn't work for me. But if it goes on sale, I think it'd be worth it just for the sound (provided you like this type of tuning of course).

1b2d7e72-f93a-4a22-970d-33702fcc25e9.jpg

So after using the TRN T300 for a few more days, I daresay it is the best TWS I have tried so far, in terms of tonality. Smooth U shaped tuning, non fatiguing but still being able to bring forward vocals and instrumentation in the mix. The bass isn't the most textured, but otherwise, I quite like how balanced it is. I've been harsh on the wired TRN releases for 2020 (for tonality), but this set is truly very atypical for a TRN tuning. No harsh upper mids/treble/sibilance fest here, if they used this tuning in one of their wired releases, I'm sure it will sell well.

The TRN T300, as expected for a TWS, won't beat wired gear in the aspect of technicalities, but I do think it beats quite a few other TWS types in this area. There's perhaps a higher treble and subbass roll off, which is also common in other wireless gear. Dynamics are surprisingly good.

To top it off, the fit is very good (despite its larger size), and the connectivity and UI is quite good. It supports wireless charging too, has a battery life indicator and charging is fast, and it has IPX5 waterproof rating. Battery life is about average, I think on a single charge, it lasted me 3.5 - 4 hours, but this perhaps depends on your listening volume too.

So as a complete package, I think the TRN T300 is excellent for a TWS, I would definitely recommend this set for TWS lovers. Good to see that TRN starts off 2021 with a bang. Now I just hope their future wired releases focus more on tonality and tuning, rather than stuffing as many drivers as they can inside and focusing on outright technicalities.

Feb 2, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #2,573 of 3,805
Small review on the TRN T300 here:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/trn-t300.24899/reviews#item-review-25245

e2984e47-b925-44f3-91d7-5c9cbc73441a_2.jpg

Would recommend it for TWS users.

TLDR:

Pros:

Comfortable, light, good build. Well fitting.
Excellent tonality, smooth and non fatiguing.
IPX5 water proof rating.
Volume controller.
Supports wireless charging, charging case (with battery indicator).
Bluetooth 5.2, supports APT-X/AAC/SBC codecs.
Strong and easy BT connectivity and range.
Well implemented touch controls.

Cons:
Average isolation, let’s in wind noise.
Average battery life.
Bass not the most textured.

Feb 2, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #2,574 of 3,805
The TRN T300 certainly has the aesthetics locked in, the matte finish calls to me. But I still don't get the TWS enthusiasm. If you're a forum member, presumably you would have had some comparable time with wired IEMs, to appreciate the limitations of the TWS earphones:

Monetarily
The batteries are going to die sooner than later and from what I've read, most TWS earphones are sealed.

Sound
It seems like every review of a TWS earphone starts with the qualifier, "for a TWS it's not bad"

Portability
If you listen for most of the day, you're going to have to carry around the charging case as well.

Ergonomics
As @baskingshark warned me, my large, foam tips hindered the ability to charge my "free" set of TFZ B.V2, in the case

For myself, I'm very happy with the semi untethered options provided from the BT, DAC/amp combos, like the Radsone ES100 & Qudelix-5K

Feb 2, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #2,575 of 3,805
The TRN T300 certainly has the aesthetics locked in, the matte finish calls to me. But I still don't get the TWS enthusiasm. If you're a forum member, presumably you would have had some comparable time with wired IEMs, to appreciate the limitations of the TWS earphones:

Monetarily
The batteries are going to die sooner than later and from what I've read, most TWS earphones are sealed.

Sound
It seems like every review of a TWS earphone starts with the qualifier, "for a TWS it's not bad"

Portability
If you listen for most of the day, you're going to have to carry around the charging case as well.

Ergonomics
As @baskingshark warned me, my large, foam tips hindered the ability to charge my "free" set of TFZ B.V2, in the case

For myself, I'm very happy with the semi untethered options provided from the BT, DAC/amp combos, like the Radsone ES100 & Qudelix-5K

Yep, agree with what you wrote. And an additional thing is that Bluetooth Codecs/tech gets obsolete very fast. But probably battery life is the most important limiting factor for TWS sets, it is expected to get less battery with repeated charges.

I for sure would use wired IEMs majority of the time for music appreciation. But the convenience that TWS brings means that they do get some use from me. I generally use these TWS sets for exercise or when doing heavy work/house work, where wires might get in the way, or sweat might damage some more fragile cables/IEMs. Definitely most TWS ain't as good as wired connections in sound (there's loss of dynamics or maybe loss of subbass/higher treble), but I guess the convenience it brings does outweight the loss in sound quality for those situations.

Actually in my country, I would say 90% of folks on subways and trains are using TWS stuff! Even my younger relatives refuse to consider wired gear that I loan to them to try, they insist only in TWS stuff. Guess TWS is how the younger generation is heading towards, for better of worse, we audiophiles using wired connections are gonna be lesser and lesser in the coming years? Having said that, perhaps as you suggested, the semi thetered options are also a great compromise for sure, I use those sometimes too!

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #2,576 of 3,805
Yep, agree with what you wrote. And an additional thing is that Bluetooth Codecs/tech gets obsolete very fast. But probably battery life is the most important limiting factor for TWS sets, it is expected to get less battery with repeated charges.

I for sure would use wired IEMs majority of the time for music appreciation. But the convenience that TWS brings means that they do get some use from me. I generally use these TWS sets for exercise or when doing heavy work/house work, where wires might get in the way, or sweat might damage some more fragile cables/IEMs. Definitely most TWS ain't as good as wired connections in sound (there's loss of dynamics or maybe loss of subbass/higher treble), but I guess the convenience it brings does outweight the loss in sound quality for those situations.

Actually in my country, I would say 90% of folks on subways and trains are using TWS stuff! Even my younger relatives refuse to consider wired gear that I loan to them to try, they insist only in TWS stuff. Guess TWS is how the younger generation is heading towards, for better of worse, we audiophiles using wired connections are gonna be lesser and lesser in the coming years? Having said that, perhaps as you suggested, the semi thetered options are also a great compromise for sure, I use those sometimes too!
Kinda hate how the younger generation is gravitating towards TWS, given that the batteries die rather quickly and eventually make their purchase destined to a landfill. It's ironic how these same people advocate "green earth, renewable energy, recycling, reducing energy consumption, banning plastic, etc."...yet, they have no problem buying all these TWS iems like Airpods or Samsung Galaxy buds; that die within 2 years or less.

Feb 3, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #2,577 of 3,805
Kinda hate how the younger generation is gravitating towards TWS, given that the batteries die rather quickly and eventually make their purchase destined to a landfill. It's ironic how these same people advocate "green earth, renewable energy, recycling, reducing energy consumption, banning plastic, etc."...yet, they have no problem buying all these TWS iems like Airpods or Samsung Galaxy buds; that die within 2 years or less.
One reason I see is because this is what society dictates as cool, chic, and modern. Like wires are the days of old/prehistoric. I'm 19 years old, have two TWS [Truedots ($30) and Airdots ($40)] and I don't remember the last time I used them. Sure, you don't get cables that tangle but the catch is you have to charge them after 3 to 4 hours of use, and of course there's the case you always have to bring. There's also a lot more points of failure with the TWS themselves.

My $2 K's Nameless is even way better than those two combined 🤣, and it's not the best I have.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #2,578 of 3,805
Saw this on Hifi-Go. The TRN TA1 for 40 bucks. Who would have thought a Knowles BA hybrid IEM will sell for that price.

1612920801089.png

TRN-TA1 BA+1DD IEMs — HiFiGo

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #2,580 of 3,805

Users who are viewing this thread

Back