Tripowin x HBB: Mele/Olina - Discussion Thread - Olina OUT now
Sep 2, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #271 of 1,725
Here are answers to some criticisms I've already gotten or expect to get:

You can't compare the Mele to an EQ'd IEM!

Why not? That's an assertion without constructivism. Just plain not helpful. Did you mean to say I can't compare them because you don't know how or like to use EQ? At any rate, perhaps this will help you better formulate a more worthwhile opinion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructivism_(philosophy_of_mathematics)

You must have gotten a broken Mele!

That's a strong claim where, unfortunately, the burden of proof lies on you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burden_of_proof_(philosophy)

Well this whole thing is pointless because the QC for the GK10 is bad (ironically said by the same people who claim I must have gotten a broken Mele)

This doesn't compare anything other than the sound quality of the two IEMs. Yes, if I were purchasing one of these two IEMs I would choose to factor in the QC, comfort, durability and such. That said, I don't recommend anyone purchase either of these IEMs since, judging by the way things are going there will be much better IEMs for the same price soon enough.

Whether this made your blood boil or you enjoyed it or were apathetic to it, thanks for reading! :relaxed:

There is an Head-Fi law which says that if you do not like an IEM enough in his own thread, invariably at least one person will tell you you have a bad pair. It's as inescapable and predictable as the effect of gravity.... That law also says that the abundance and strength of that kind of response is directly proportional to the level of hype.

:wink:

Sep 2, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #272 of 1,725
Im going to agree I just a/b tested Hana 2.0 with O2 for awhile. I think Tanchjim knew what they were doing on the pricing. O2 wins in 3D factor, overall technicalities, mids AND I prefer its bass as it is better textured. As you would expect for an extra $100

I agree and I think both are solid and safe recommendations for single DDs at their price point.

Sep 2, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #273 of 1,725
There is an Head-Fi law which says that if you do not like an IEM enough in his own thread, invariably at least one person will tell you you have a bad pair. It's as inescapable and predictable as the effect of gravity.... That law also says that the abundance and strength of that kind of response is directly proportional to the level of hype.

:wink:

The only reason I mentioned QC it's because I'm not hearing it as he is, but after reflection, I'm probably sure it's also related to peak sensibility. Everyone hears different.

Guilty as charged.

Sep 2, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #274 of 1,725
Im going to agree I just a/b tested Hana 2.0 with O2 for awhile. I think Tanchjim knew what they were doing on the pricing. O2 wins in 3D factor, overall technicalities, mids AND I prefer its bass as it is better textured. As you would expect for an extra $100

Damn, you're an enemy of my wallet :p thanks for clarifying. Now I need it need it need it.

Sep 2, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #276 of 1,725
HBB states that hana2 and Mele are dead close, but oxygen is superior. My buddy Resolution seems to agree has well. Certainly Mele made me want O2. Timbre and coherency of a single DD are hard to beat!
That's interesting. I've been eying the O2 for awhile, but didn't want to spend the $. Then Hana 2021 came to the market and turned out to be a baby O2... pinkish gold baby O2.
There is also the Starfield and Aria that have very similar tuning.
Basically, I'm interested in a more affordable O2 that isn't pinkish gold to try the Harman tuning.
Mele might just fit the bill. I'll wait for more O2 / Hana 2021 / Aria / Starfield comparisons.
Is the Mele bassier than those Harman tuned single DD IEMs?

Sep 2, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #277 of 1,725
That's interesting. I've been eying the O2 for awhile, but didn't want to spend the $. Then Hana 2021 came to the market and turned out to be a baby O2... pinkish gold baby O2.
There is also the Starfield and Aria that have very similar tuning.
Basically, I'm interested in a more affordable O2 that isn't pinkish gold to try the Harman tuning.
Mele might just fit the bill. I'll wait for more O2 / Hana 2021 / Aria / Starfield comparisons.
Is the Mele bassier than those Harman tuned single DD IEMs?

They graph very similar (O2, Mele, Hana 2021) up to upper mids. O2 is slight different in sub bass but shouldnt be much of a difference.

graph (10).png
graph (9).png

My money is on technicalities between the 3 and 02 is king, specially on uppermids/female voices.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #278 of 1,725
They graph very similar (O2, Mele, Hana 2021) up to upper mids. O2 is slight different in sub bass but shouldnt be much of a difference.

graph (10).pnggraph (9).png
Thanks! I forgot about this graph.
I don't listen to music that has that kind of sub bass anyway.
So between these IEMs, it's pretty much all about technicalities. Their tuning is so similar (including the new Hana and excluding the original one).

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #280 of 1,725
Sounds that way. It's the million dollar question of the moment. We know that O2 is slight better than Hana, but how's really Mele? We need for someone with the 3 to chime in and make some a/bing

I've got the 3 as well as well as Tanya and all Moondrop DDs. I haven't ABXed the Mele with the Tanchjims but the Mele seems warmer to me and not as smooth in the treble. Aria, Starfield and KxxS I find have all an annoying peak too, not liking any of these too much because of it and probably prefer the Starfield of the three. Illumination is flawless tonally and more technical than 02 but it's very expensive. Mele is OK at its price and to me better than the BL-03 whose bass I find quite painfully intrusive and never liked unlike many so on that front it's a success in the tuning for the Mele.

Not sure if it answer anything even remotely, I'll try to compare a bit more directly maybe this weekend.

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #281 of 1,725
Not sure if it answer anything even remotely, I'll try to compare a bit more directly maybe this weekend.

It was great! Thanks. Yes, I'd love to listen to your comparitions when you have the time. Mele made a bold statement in my journey because the only real single DD I've owned was fd5, but hated that treble. Stuff like O2, Illumination, Isabellae, IE900 and Turii are just smiling at me.

And I just now read you signature. Nice DD collection man. Respect.

Sep 3, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #282 of 1,725
Anyone actually compared to an Aria and do the share a similar driver?

Sep 3, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #283 of 1,725
You can't compare the Mele to an EQ'd IEM!
I think you can as long as you clearly state so (which you did). For me personally, I don't EQ because I have multiple sources and multiple earphones I listen to and it's just a hastle to keep changing EQ presets for different sets, but to each their own and if you can take an IEM and perfect with EQ then that's great.

Mele: OW my ears. Too piercing. Something is definitely wrong in the tuning of the treble here.
Are you treble sensitive? I am not treble sensitive at all, so I have no problems whatsoever with that piece, but it differs from person to person of course.

Good write-up. I can't say I agree with your conclusion, but it's a good comparison nonetheless :thumbsup:.

I doubt people that love GK10 will be the same that love Mele, and vice versa.
I liked the GK10 and I am a fan of the Mele.
The GK10 is a very technical IEM with a (IMO) mediocre tuning whereas the Mele is a rather medium IEM in terms of technicalities, but tuned excellent. When I put on the GK10, just like the FH3, I am focused on what I'm hearing and looking for details I've missed previously. When I'm listening to the Mele everything just sounds natural and I just listen to the music without focusing on details. TBF just like it's unfair of a hybrid IEM to expect single DD levels of coherency, it's unfair to expect hybrid levels of detail and imaging from a single DD I guess, at least not at the same pricepoint.

Sep 3, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #284 of 1,725
I think you can as long as you clearly state so (which you did). For me personally, I don't EQ because I have multiple sources and multiple earphones I listen to and it's just a hastle to keep changing EQ presets for different sets, but to each their own and if you can take an IEM and perfect with EQ then that's great.

Are you treble sensitive? I am not treble sensitive at all, so I have no problems whatsoever with that piece, but it differs from person to person of course.

Good write-up. I can't say I agree with your conclusion, but it's a good comparison nonetheless :thumbsup:.

I liked the GK10 and I am a fan of the Mele.
The GK10 is a very technical IEM with a (IMO) mediocre tuning whereas the Mele is a rather medium IEM in terms of technicalities, but tuned excellent. When I put on the GK10, just like the FH3, I am focused on what I'm hearing and looking for details I've missed previously. When I'm listening to the Mele everything just sounds natural and I just listen to the music without focusing on details. TBF just like it's unfair of a hybrid IEM to expect single DD levels of coherency, it's unfair to expect hybrid levels of detail and imaging from a single DD I guess, at least not at the same pricepoint.

Different horses for different races. I dont like to talk about GK10 because it will alwayd bring drama along, and I'd like to avoid it. Any hype train that went wrong will have it attached. Some peope will love it, some people will hate it. Also, imo, it's hard to do comparitions between anything and gk10 since everyone got a different pair due to qc.

That's why I said Love and not like.

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #285 of 1,725
I've learned that my music enjoyment roughly breaks down like this;
80% emotional attachment to the music
18% frequency response to what I'm listening to
2% extreme technicalities like detail retrieval etc

So in audiophile terms frequency response is most important to me.

*This is only a bit of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back