Tripowin x HBB: Mele/Olina - Discussion Thread - Olina OUT now
Sep 4, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #331 of 1,725
tuning of the Mele with the technicalities of the FiiO FH3 but with a single DD with beryllium coating.
Team Oxygen? :D No Bery, but hey, it's not that expensive at least. Maybe FD7 will give u that, but that will be 600usd :frowning2:

Sep 5, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #332 of 1,725
Team Oxygen? :D No Bery, but hey, it's not that expensive at least. Maybe FD7 will give u that, but that will be 600usd :frowning2:
I think I'm going on a bit of a hiatus now and just listen to the stuff I have. I'm not really willing to spend that kind of money on an IEM after buying and returning/selling the FD5 and Legacy 4. Maybe once i know how to easily tell stuff like bad coherency and I get annoyed by mediocre timbre I will search for a new upgrade, for now I think I'm fine for a bit.

Sep 5, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #333 of 1,725
I've got all the Moondrop DDs but I don't have too much time for doing direct comparisons but I think they all at least edge out the Mele (not speaking about SSR/SSP).

Btw guys, I gave a spin to the Tripowin TC-01 too and guess what, I liked these better than both the Mele and Hana v2.

There are also the BLON BL-01 and the Reecho SG-01 that are damn good in the $ sub50 segment.
How about mele vs sg-01?

Sep 5, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #334 of 1,725
Ok - quick non-scientific comparison.

Tracks:
Sonata 1 in F Major (Yo-Yo Ma and Emmanuel Ax)
My Way, Soon (Greta Van Fleet)
Last Words (GoGo Penguin)
Funky Gospel (Jeff Lorber Fusion)
Holy City (Joan as Policewoman)
Wonderland (Caravan Palace)

All tracks were streamed from Qobuz lossless (and hi-rez when possible). DAC is a SMSL Sanskrit 10th Mk2. Amplified though a DROP+THX AAA-789. I used balanced outs when possible.

All these are comparisons vs MELE (using the Tripowin Jelly cable and Sedna Xelastec tips):

VS Moondrop Starfield (stock cable and tips)
Sonata 1 - Sounds very similar. Fairly equivalent
My Way, Soon - Kick drums less authoritative. Highs are less sibilant. Vocals about the same.
Last Words - Attack on percussion better defined. Highs are rendered with more detail.
Funky Gospel - MUCH less weight on kick drums. "edges" of high percussion much more detectable. Better instrument separation.
Holy City - Bass lines more clean, but without less power. Vocals about the same. Tambourine is much better defined.
Wonderland - Much easier to listen "into" the mix. Bass is a lot less fun. Somewhat harsh on the upper mids.

Verdict - These were less similar than I would have expected from the charts. Starfield has better detail. I think I actually prefer the tuning on the MELE though. Sounds more natural.

VS CCA CA16 (Tripowin Zonie balanced cable and Spinfit CP800 tips)
Sonata 1 - Cello sounds curiously hollow, though the piano has pleasant detail. Cello bow is muted. Weird. I would definitely choose the MELE for classical/chamber.
My Way, Soon - Feels like more detail, but with some treble harshness. All the body sucked out of the vocals. Kick drum is there, but not authoritative (BA bass)
Funky Gospel - MUCH more detail on percussion strikes. Much better instrument separation. BA bass still obvious. Too V-shaped to sound natural.
Holy City - Slightly more sibilant in exchange for a much greater spatial separation and better defined instruments. Slightly metallic edge on horns not there on the MELE
Wonderland - Graphs like it should have more bass than the MELE, but definitely doesn't sound like it. High-frequencies harsh in comparison, but it's much easier to identify all the samples in the mix.

Verdict - MELE tuning wins out again. CA16 has a lot of detail for the price, but you lose out on realism. I think the CA16 would be quite a bit more fatiguing over time.

VS Thor Mjolnir (Tripowin C16 Balanced cable, Sedna Xelastec tips)
Sonata 1 - Greater sense of perceived detail. Piano action clearly audible, unlike the MELE. Bass does not seem overly boosted.
My Way, Soon - Seems bassy in comparison. High percussion is about the same amount as the MELE, but with greater detail (egg shake, for example, is much clearer). Just feels like too much bass to be enjoyable here.
Funky Gospel - Greater treble detail here. Piano is more realistic. Decay on high-hat is much more natural. Distortion limitations of the original recording are detectable.
Holy City - BASS sounds amazing. No loss of detail on the highs. Very clearly difference between solo and backing vocals. Totally coherent and non-fatiguing.
Wonderland - Better sense of air around the vocals. And yes, better clarity on the highs. Easier to hear the samples punch in and out.

Verdict - For being bass cannons, the Mjolnir has a remarkably delicate high frequency range and realistic vocals. I would say if you were fine with slightly more bass, these would be a strong upgrade from the MELE.

VS BQEYZ Spring 1 (Mesh mod) (Tripowin Zonie balanced cable, Sedna Xelastec tips)
Sonata 1 - Starting to get a sense of space around the instruments.
My Way, Soon - Bass is thuddy, not as clean as the MELE. Vocals sound slightly more recessed in comparison to the MELE.
Funky Gospel - More energetic highs. Transients are cleaner. Much wider soundstage.
Holy City - Better sense of balance across the spectrum than the MELE. Sizzles. Super low notes don't resonate as well as the MELE.
Wonderland - Much better separation than anything before it in this list. Bass not as authoritative as the MELE. Highs slightly metallic, though not sibilant. Much more high frequency energy. Exciting, though probably more fatiguing.

Verdict - As you can probably tell, I'm a detail fiend, so the Spring 1 (Mesh mod should sound about the same as the Spring 2) is my cup of tea. I wish the bass were cleaner and more authoritative. I think it's much, much better than the MELE when it comes to micro-details, but is probably 5% behind in tuning, and 15% behind in bass quality.

VS TF10 (unknown balanced cable, Spinfit CP-100 tips)
My Way, Soon - Bass is very light (BA). Highs more splashy (not in a good way). Transient attack is very clear, better than the MELE. Vocals not always distinct.
Funky Gospel - Almost no bass weight (a slap, not a thud). Better detail. Highs too energetic. Will be fatiguing in comparison to the MELE. Soundstage is solid.
Holy City - Snare drum attack more realistic. Bass line is there, but without any impact. Sounds good. Technically better than the MELE, but nowhere near as fun.
Wonderland - Bass is almost as loud, but with almost no weight. Energetic highs overpower the music. MELE is clearly better for this kind of electronic music.

Verdict - This used to be the absolute pinnacle of universal IEMs and it's nice to see it still doing well. Probably not an important comparison.

VS Monarch (stock balanced cable, Spinfit CP-100 tips)
Sonata 1 - Piano hammers are effortlessly present. Bow is more audible.
My Way, Soon - Bass sounds more "correct" Vocals are almost holographic. Guitar overdubs are more distinct. Bass is much less present, but it has solid weight (not BA bass).
Funky Gospel - Much greater sense of instrument separation. Transients are exquisitely articulated. Recording equipment is audible. Characteristic distortion of the Rhoades piano is more evident.
Holy City - Vocal clarity is much higher. Percussion strikes are perfectly rendered. Bassline is much lower in the mix. Less fun than the MELE.
Wonderland - Bass in this track is above the sub shelf of the Monarch. So while we're basically drowning in detail (all in perfect clarity), there is much less "fun" on this track.

Verdict - These are really not trying to do the same thing as the MELE, so the comparison is a bit weird. The Monarch is for finding flaws in a recording. No romanticism. If you have a perfect recording (Like the Yo-Yo Ma album) then you're treated to probably the most realistic and transparent set of transducers I've ever heard. If you want to bring the fun, these aren't the ticket, mainly because a lot of rock has the kick drum EQd into higher frequencies so it will be audible on crappy earbuds and car stereos. But for distinguishing between all the different bass components of "Compound Fracture" by My Morning Wood, or feeling the floor rattle with a pipe organ, these are the best I've ever heard.

So - what about the MELE overall?
I think it's probably the very best sounding options in the bargain/budget range. The BL03 are almost the same price once you put in decent eartips, cable, and case. And the MELE comes with perfectly fine accessories so you don't really need anything other than what comes in the box. It has one of the most fun and pleasing tunings I've heard. The only true weakness is detail. While this is especially evident in high-frequency transients, it's also noticeable in blunted snare drums, and the lack of microphone presence in tracks like "I'm Just a Kid" by Simple Plan. You can get those in the same price range (ish) with sets like the GK10 or CA16, but then you give up a lot of tonality and timbre in exchange.

I mean - so what that the Thor Mjolnir is better in almost every way? It costs 4x the MELE and is almost impossible to purchase. I think in the $15-$50 range the MELE is king. If you can spend TWICE as much for the Starfield, that's probably the better buy mainly because of the extra detail you get (and like I said - I'm a detail fiend). If you already have a Spring, or one of the Thieaudio Tribrids (or Mangird Tea, or equivalent) then you aren't missing out on anything.

Solid set. Especially for the money. I'm impressed.

Sep 5, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #335 of 1,725

Tracks:

All tracks were streamed from Qobuz lossless (and hi-rez when possible). DAC is a SMSL Sanskrit 10th Mk2. Amplified though a DROP+THX AAA-789. I used balanced outs when possible.

All these are comparisons vs MELE (using the Tripowin Jelly cable and Sedna Xelastec tips):

My Way, Soon - Kick drums less authoritative. Highs are less sibilant. Vocals about the same.
Last Words - Attack on percussion better defined. Highs are rendered with more detail.
Funky Gospel - MUCH less weight on kick drums. "edges" of high percussion much more detectable. Better instrument separation.
Holy City - Bass lines more clean, but without less power. Vocals about the same. Tambourine is much better defined.
Wonderland - Much easier to listen "into" the mix. Bass is a lot less fun. Somewhat harsh on the upper mids.

Verdict - These were less similar than I would have expected from the charts. Starfield has better detail. I think I actually prefer the tuning on the MELE though. Sounds more natural.

Sonata 1 - Cello sounds curiously hollow, though the piano has pleasant detail. Cello bow is muted. Weird. I would definitely choose the MELE for classical/chamber.
My Way, Soon - Feels like more detail, but with some treble harshness. All the body sucked out of the vocals. Kick drum is there, but not authoritative (BA bass)
Funky Gospel - MUCH more detail on percussion strikes. Much better instrument separation. BA bass still obvious. Too V-shaped to sound natural.
Holy City - Slightly more sibilant in exchange for a much greater spatial separation and better defined instruments. Slightly metallic edge on horns not there on the MELE
Wonderland - Graphs like it should have more bass than the MELE, but definitely doesn't sound like it. High-frequencies harsh in comparison, but it's much easier to identify all the samples in the mix.

Verdict - MELE tuning wins out again. CA16 has a lot of detail for the price, but you lose out on realism. I think the CA16 would be quite a bit more fatiguing over time.

Sonata 1 - Greater sense of perceived detail. Piano action clearly audible, unlike the MELE. Bass does not seem overly boosted.
My Way, Soon - Seems bassy in comparison. High percussion is about the same amount as the MELE, but with greater detail (egg shake, for example, is much clearer). Just feels like too much bass to be enjoyable here.
Funky Gospel - Greater treble detail here. Piano is more realistic. Decay on high-hat is much more natural. Distortion limitations of the original recording are detectable.
Holy City - BASS sounds amazing. No loss of detail on the highs. Very clearly difference between solo and backing vocals. Totally coherent and non-fatiguing.
Wonderland - Better sense of air around the vocals. And yes, better clarity on the highs. Easier to hear the samples punch in and out.

Verdict - For being bass cannons, the Mjolnir has a remarkably delicate high frequency range and realistic vocals. I would say if you were fine with slightly more bass, these would be a strong upgrade from the MELE.

VS BQEYZ Spring 1 (Mesh mod) (Tripowin Zonie balanced cable, Sedna Xelastec tips)
My Way, Soon - Bass is thuddy, not as clean as the MELE. Vocals sound slightly more recessed in comparison to the MELE.
Funky Gospel - More energetic highs. Transients are cleaner. Much wider soundstage.
Holy City - Better sense of balance across the spectrum than the MELE. Sizzles. Super low notes don't resonate as well as the MELE.
Wonderland - Much better separation than anything before it in this list. Bass not as authoritative as the MELE. Highs slightly metallic, though not sibilant. Much more high frequency energy. Exciting, though probably more fatiguing.

Verdict - As you can probably tell, I'm a detail fiend, so the Spring 1 (Mesh mod should sound about the same as the Spring 2) is my cup of tea. I wish the bass were cleaner and more authoritative. I think it's much, much better than the MELE when it comes to micro-details, but is probably 5% behind in tuning, and 15% behind in bass quality.

My Way, Soon - Bass is very light (BA). Highs more splashy (not in a good way). Transient attack is very clear, better than the MELE. Vocals not always distinct.
Funky Gospel - Almost no bass weight (a slap, not a thud). Better detail. Highs too energetic. Will be fatiguing in comparison to the MELE. Soundstage is solid.
Holy City - Snare drum attack more realistic. Bass line is there, but without any impact. Sounds good. Technically better than the MELE, but nowhere near as fun.
Wonderland - Bass is almost as loud, but with almost no weight. Energetic highs overpower the music. MELE is clearly better for this kind of electronic music.

Verdict - This used to be the absolute pinnacle of universal IEMs and it's nice to see it still doing well. Probably not an important comparison.

My Way, Soon - Bass sounds more "correct" Vocals are almost holographic. Guitar overdubs are more distinct. Bass is much less present, but it has solid weight (not BA bass).
Funky Gospel - Much greater sense of instrument separation. Transients are exquisitely articulated. Recording equipment is audible. Characteristic distortion of the Rhoades piano is more evident.
Holy City - Vocal clarity is much higher. Percussion strikes are perfectly rendered. Bassline is much lower in the mix. Less fun than the MELE.
Wonderland - Bass in this track is above the sub shelf of the Monarch. So while we're basically drowning in detail (all in perfect clarity), there is much less "fun" on this track.

Verdict - These are really not trying to do the same thing as the MELE, so the comparison is a bit weird. The Monarch is for finding flaws in a recording. No romanticism. If you have a perfect recording (Like the Yo-Yo Ma album) then you're treated to probably the most realistic and transparent set of transducers I've ever heard. If you want to bring the fun, these aren't the ticket, mainly because a lot of rock has the kick drum EQd into higher frequencies so it will be audible on crappy earbuds and car stereos. But for distinguishing between all the different bass components of "Compound Fracture" by My Morning Wood, or feeling the floor rattle with a pipe organ, these are the best I've ever heard.

I think it's probably the very best sounding options in the bargain/budget range. The BL03 are almost the same price once you put in decent eartips, cable, and case. And the MELE comes with perfectly fine accessories so you don't really need anything other than what comes in the box. It has one of the most fun and pleasing tunings I've heard. The only true weakness is detail. While this is especially evident in high-frequency transients, it's also noticeable in blunted snare drums, and the lack of microphone presence in tracks like "I'm Just a Kid" by Simple Plan. You can get those in the same price range (ish) with sets like the GK10 or CA16, but then you give up a lot of tonality and timbre in exchange.

I mean - so what that the Thor Mjolnir is better in almost every way? It costs 4x the MELE and is almost impossible to purchase. I think in the $15-$50 range the MELE is king. If you can spend TWICE as much for the Starfield, that's probably the better buy mainly because of the extra detail you get (and like I said - I'm a detail fiend). If you already have a Spring, or one of the Thieaudio Tribrids (or Mangird Tea, or equivalent) then you aren't missing out on anything.

Thanks very much for this!! Great comparitions. Will also add to first post tomorrow. Havent got much time lately, sorry for that.

Sep 5, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #336 of 1,725
My ideal IEM: tuning of the Mele with the technicalities of the FiiO FH3 but with a single DD with beryllium coating.🤤

I have a couple sub-$300 Be DD-containing IEMs. I have not been super impressed so far. I prefer other type drivers, TBH. Be DD decay sounds unnatural to me. YMMV

Sep 5, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #337 of 1,725
Team Tanchjim, perhaps?

Sep 6, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #338 of 1,725

Tracks:

I think the Like button is broken,
I cannot give 10 likes to this post,

Sep 6, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #341 of 1,725
I've had the Mele for a couple days now and unfortunately, I'm not that impressed with its SQ.

The pair I have has a metallic coloration throughout the vocal range that is quite noticeable. For any IEM to get a thumbs-up from me, it has to at least pass my patent-pending Adele Hello Test, but sadly, the Mele didn't quite do it for me.

I will say their tuning is just about perfect though, but they are held back by a less-than-great driver. I do hope HBB takes another crack at it, but with a better quality IEM.

If you can, I would recommend saving up another $50 bucks and get the FiiO FD3 instead. It's a better all-around IEM that doesn't have any unpleasant colorations.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #342 of 1,725
Reading back through this thread, I saw a good bit of back and forth on the MELE vs GK10, with Darkgod5 doing an eq'd comparison.

Just throwing my 2c in there: I'm not a big fan of using EQ, mainly because I like to use lots of different IEMs and it's a hassle for me. Plus I'd rather spend the time (and money) to get one tuned the way I like it. But that's all personal preference. The GK10 would be just the candidate for EQ because it has so much potential in its strengths (detail, transparency), but the tuning is just wonky to my ears. If HBB came out with a GK10 variant that would be, I think, a true game changer in terms of value for the money.

For the $50 range, though, I'm looking primarily at gifts, or to offer a suggestion for the person who wants to replace their phone's stock earbuds or gas station IEMs. In that case, I don't want to tell them they have to spend some time in their EQ to get it right, especially not at this price range. For people who own external DACs that can do it (Qudelix 5k), I'm guessing that they don't mind spending more. And plenty of people have external DACs that are otherwise excellent but can't do EQ (FiiO BTR5). Some apps support it (Spotify), others don't (Qobuz), and so on. Add in the frankly terrible cable, so-so tips, and no case, and it makes a bad rec - especially for someone to, for them, splurge and pay $50 when there are sets at Target for $5.

In contrast I can send the MELE and an Apple dongle to someone's house and feel confident that they will have a good experience. That's why I consider it the king of the $50 sets.

But I totally agree with Darkgod5 - the GK10 with some simple EQ does sound VERY good. If you're exploring head-fi on a tight budget and feel comfortable using EQ, it's really something. A true missed opportunity for Geek Wold.

Edit: I wanted to check for an obstruction in the GK10 ports and wound up destroying the bass drivers. Soooooo.... With another set on order it looks like I'll be tearing these apart and getting a good look at the internals. Let me know if you want detailed pictures of anything in particular.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #343 of 1,725
I will say their tuning is just about perfect though, but they are held back by a less-than-great driver. I do hope HBB takes another crack at it, but with a better quality IEM.

If HBB came out with a GK10 variant that would be, I think, a true game changer in terms of value for the money.

I couldn't agree more, honestly. While I think the Mele is a fine beginner's IEM as an entry into what audiophile can sound like, I think if you're already an audiophile you should wait to see what HBB can do with better tech.

Sep 6, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #344 of 1,725
Guys, thanks for all the inputs yesterday, but I've been busy with work and I also received Variations, so there goes the time.

I'd like to keep a friendly reminder that I have no business with HBB or Linsoul. I really think Mele is a great IEM for the price. To me, they are competing in the 100-200usd bracket. As I stated around and around, My Teas (300usd) murder Mele.

When I told @darkgod5 that I thought was stupid to compare it to Dusk, it's because Dusk is 1 tier above (and also an hibrid). I didn't mean to make fun of anyone's opinion, and I feel sorry if that was the case.

I only care about music. I think it has a slot in the market, and gets my rec. It's not in my collection to compete with my pricier stuff. It's there because is a great rec and for a great price. I love the tuning. Couldn't care less who tuned it. HBB, Zeos, DMS, Crin, the Pope, whatever. If it's good to my ears, I rec it and I'll explain why.

As seen above, his target audiance is the guys that would afford a blon-03 because it was cheap and good for the price. To me mele is the Blon-03 v2. You pay double, but get the upgraded version, because it improved the worst characteristics but kept the best of it.

It's also true that he tuned it to his library, and as AS said, American Rock is the best fit. I also posted some lists and videos to show what other good genres are good with it and if people keep want, I can keep giving examples.

Can't wait for more opinions on these forums, as you never should only believe in the opinion of ONE guy, either me or HBB, and sorry once again if I offended anyone here.
Me too, love gear and music.
If money isn't a problem he should donate his $5 to charity.
I thought about it and if I was reviewing and wanted to retain integrity I'd happily have that company donate my fee to the charity of my choice.
Problem is other reviewers and even those who are pillars in the IEM world have already done collaborations so a precedence has been set.

I'm sure the Mele is a fine single budget DD. It measures like an EJ07 from what I see but obviously isn't anywhere near it in terms of technicality.

Sep 6, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #345 of 1,725
It measures like an EJ07 from what I see but obviously isn't anywhere near it in terms of technicality.

It graphs real close to Clair. A buddy says the tunning is very alike. Technically, I think the drivers have limitations, but personally, it's my rec @ 50usd bracket due to the tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back