Tripowin TC-01Universal IEM $49.00
Jan 4, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #16 of 117
I put in an order for a pair today. Looking forward to seeing if they live up to the hype!

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #17 of 117
Jan 4, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #18 of 117
Cheers! You will not be disappointed in any way.

163023E5-7EC3-42F0-BCA1-1890C5EC2BE7.png

iem side .jpg

on 1A.jpg
Thanks for the comparison graph! Looks like the Trips have slightly elevated subbass but curve harder to remove some of that midbass that can smear the sound that happens with the BL01. Is this also a bio driver? or is it the CNT driver that has been going around everywhere (also in the Starfields that I adore).

Jan 4, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #19 of 117
It's Silicon coated on Polyurethane.

Thanks for the comparison graph! Looks like the Trips have slightly elevated subbass but curve harder to remove some of that midbass that can smear the sound that happens with the BL01. Is this also a bio driver? or is it the CNT driver that has been going around everywhere (also in the Starfields that I adore).

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #20 of 117
I'd be interested in how they compare with the Hzsound Heart Mirror being very similar in shape and build and both single DD? Hard to tell them apart (apologies for the headphonism).

The way both reviews I've read discuss the signature they do seem to share some similarities.

Currently £49 so I think I'll wait for some more feedback.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #21 of 117
My TC-01s arrived today. I'll post my impressions in this thread in a day or so after they've had time to burn in. First impressions are very positive, ergonomics are a big step up from BLON 01s & 03s.

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #22 of 117
My TC-01s arrived today. I'll post my impressions in this thread in a day or so after they've had time to burn in. First impressions are very positive, ergonomics are a big step up from BLON 01s & 03s.

I was listening to my pair all last night.

Jan 6, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #23 of 117
I'd be interested in how they compare with the Hzsound Heart Mirror being very similar in shape and build and both single DD? Hard to tell them apart (apologies for the headphonism).

The way both reviews I've read discuss the signature they do seem to share some similarities.

Currently £49 so I think I'll wait for some more feedback.

A friend of mine has both. I've not heard the TC-01, so i've spoken to him and he says they are similar in tuning. But he says with a weak source (unamped), TC-01 is better sounding, but HZSound Mirror is better when amped. So I think it boils down to what source you have available.

I hope to audition the TC-01 one day if it comes to my country, or perhaps get it if it is very discounted at the next sale, but from what he says, it sounds sidegradish?

Jan 7, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #25 of 117
A friend of mine has both. I've not heard the TC-01, so i've spoken to him and he says they are similar in tuning. But he says with a weak source (unamped), TC-01 is better sounding, but HZSound Mirror is better when amped. So I think it boils down to what source you have available.

I hope to audition the TC-01 one day if it comes to my country, or perhaps get it if it is very discounted at the next sale, but from what he says, it sounds sidegradish?

Thanks B. I was thinking it could be a sidegrade. I'll wait for a discount too.

Jan 7, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #26 of 117

Bass on the TC-01 is more elevated and goes deeper than on the Heart Mirror, I just briefly compared them by ear and staying on the TC-01. :)

Jan 8, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #27 of 117
Budget Single Dynamic-Driver Earphone Mini-Review

Just wanted to post my thoughts on all the budget DD earphones I happen to have on hand, after concluding a listening session involving them this afternoon.

They are:
Tanchjim Oxgen ($270 USD)
Tripowin TC-01 ($50 USD)
BLON BL-01 ($23 USD)
BLON BL-03 ($27 USD)

I used the same ThieAudio EST ($70 USD) OCC silver litz cable with each IEM throughout the test.

earphones1.jpg

Source was my Astell & Kern SR25. Interconnect is a budget copper 8 wire mini-to-mini I bought from a random store on Ebay, value approximately $30 USD.

The amplifier is a passion project I'm in the middle of, a Little Bear B4-X I'm modding extensively. Sonically it is already a massive upgrade over the stock unit. Thus far the following changes have been made:
  • Replaced all resistors with Takman carbon films, replaced two signal path resistors with Vishay Z-foils
  • Replaced stock op-amps with Burson V6 Vivids
  • Replaced all caps with Elna Silmic IIs
  • Replaced stock 1000mAh battery with a 5500mAh battery
I also tested all IEMs straight out of the SR25 to observe changes.

amp.jpg

Impressions

BLON BL-03

Surprisingly the BL-03 was the only IEM which was negatively affected by the amp, every other IEM was improved enormously. The BL-03 simply became too boomy with excessive bass bloat, a trait that is hidden to a lesser extent without an amp. The BL-03's strength is its midrange, which is thicker than all other IEMs in the test. Great for electric guitars. Unfortunately bass is slower than the other IEMS, and the sound is quite muddled with very poor imaging. Overall its an extremely forward, aggressive IEM that sounds amazing when your goal is to rock out and not care about the particulars of what you're hearing.

BLON BL-01
A more refined version of the BL-03 that is slightly less comfortable (but still quite good vs larger earphones with lots of BA drivers) and a bit harder to drive. For most albums & genres I prefer the BL-01 even without amplification, however adding the amp benefits them more than other IEMs in the test. They have a wider and deeper soundstage than the BL-03s, better imaging, are tuned with less bottom-end emphasis meaning they deliver a thinner sound than the BL-03s, but that's usually a good thing. I wouldn't have an issue recommending these to most people, their value is criminal.

TRIPOWIN TC-01
The gap between the TC-01 and the BL-01 isn't as large as the difference between the BL-01 and BL-03. In fact the TC-01, BL-01 & Oxygen all possess a reasonably similar sound signature. After saying that the TC-01s are a clear step up from the BL-01s, possessing better imaging, and a slightly more resolving sound. They are more lively, with a more forward midrange and a more sparkling top end. The only sonic downside is I find them to be very slightly boomy, though I've only burned in them overnight so perhaps that may change. With that extra excitability comes a tad more fatigue, and there is also a very slight thinness to the midrange. Bear in mind these are extremely minor quibbles, I am deliberately evaluating the TC-01s more carefully because they are the subject of this thread. Overall I rate them as a clear upgrade over the BL-01s, easier to drive and more comfortable to boot, and have no issues whatsoever recommending them. They are going to please a lot of people.

TANCHJIM OXYGEN
First order of business is to pin the award for worst brand name on the Tanchjims (in a fairly stiff field) and hope friends don't ask "what are those?". Surprisingly given their price, the Oxygens are the smallest and most comfortable IEMS in the test, and the shells are finished to a much higher standard than the rest. Consequently they feel nicer resting against one's skin. Sonically they are not dramatically dissimilar to the TC-01s, and are essentially a little more laid-back with a higher level of refinement. They have a slightly grander soundstage, more prominent highs, but are slightly thinner overall with marginally less prominent bass. As you'd expect they are more resolving and the soundstage is better organized with more depth, and I find them to be smoother & less fatiguing than the TC-01s. So would I recommend spending the extra $220 USD? Yes, but the improvements aren't earth-shaking and probably not worth it unless the rest of your system is up to snuff.

The Tripowin TC-01s have impressed me. They are not perfect, and I would just as easily recommend the BL-01s to non-audiophiles at half the price, but for anyone serious enough to be browsing Head-Fi in the first place the more comfortable shells alone are easily worth the extra cost. Ergonomics are very underrated when you spend hours each day listening to music, one reason why I'm such a fan of single-driver DD's in the first place. One final word: Cables, amplification and source quality matters. Everything in the audio chain matters. If you find an earphone that really suits your sonic preferences you may be better off upgrading your electronics and sticking with them because even budget single-driver DDs can scale amazingly well. DAPs simply lack enough juice to get the most out of them, and potential is left lying on the table with most stock cables as well. As always synergy is king.

Thanks for reading my mini-review, I hope it helped!

Jan 8, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #28 of 117

Just wanted to post my thoughts on all the budget DD earphones I happen to have on hand, after concluding a listening session involving them this afternoon.

They are:
Tripowin TC-01 ($50 USD)
BLON BL-01 ($23 USD)
BLON BL-03 ($27 USD)

I used the same ThieAudio EST ($70 USD) OCC silver litz cable with each IEM throughout the test.

earphones1.jpg

Source was my Astell & Kern SR25. Interconnect is a budget copper 8 wire mini-to-mini I bought from a random store on Ebay, value approximately $30 USD.

The amplifier is a passion project I'm in the middle of, a Little Bear B4-X I'm modding extensively. Sonically it is already a massive upgrade over the stock unit. Thus far the following changes have been made:
  • Replaced all resistors with Takman carbon films, replaced two signal path resistors with Vishay Z-foils

amp.jpg

Impressions

BLON BL-03

Surprisingly the BL-03 was the only IEM which was negatively affected by the amp, every other IEM was improved enormously. The BL-03 simply became too boomy with excessive bass bloat, a trait that is hidden to a lesser extent without an amp. The BL-03's strength is its midrange, which is thicker than all other IEMs in the test. Great for electric guitars. Unfortunately bass is slower than the other IEMS, and the sound is quite muddled with very poor imaging. Overall its an extremely forward, aggressive IEM that sounds amazing when your goal is to rock out and not care about the particulars of what you're hearing.

BLON BL-01
A more refined version of the BL-03 that is slightly less comfortable (but still quite good vs larger earphones with lots of BA drivers) and a bit harder to drive. For most albums & genres I prefer the BL-01 even without amplification, however adding the amp benefits them more than other IEMs in the test. They have a wider and deeper soundstage than the BL-03s, better imaging, are tuned with less bottom-end emphasis meaning they deliver a thinner sound than the BL-03s, but that's usually a good thing. I wouldn't have an issue recommending these to most people, their value is criminal.

TRIPOWIN TC-01
The gap between the TC-01 and the BL-01 isn't as large as the difference between the BL-01 and BL-03. In fact the TC-01, BL-01 & Oxygen all possess a reasonably similar sound signature. After saying that the TC-01s are a clear step up from the BL-01s, possessing better imaging, and a slightly more resolving sound. They are more lively, with a more forward midrange and a more sparkling top end. The only sonic downside is I find them to be very slightly boomy, though I've only burned in them overnight so perhaps that may change. With that extra excitability comes a tad more fatigue, and there is also a very slight thinness to the midrange. Bear in mind these are extremely minor quibbles, I am deliberately evaluating the TC-01s more carefully because they are the subject of this thread. Overall I rate them as a clear upgrade over the BL-01s, easier to drive and more comfortable to boot, and have no issues whatsoever recommending them. They are going to please a lot of people.

TANCHJIM OXYGEN
First order of business is to pin the award for worst brand name on the Tanchjims (in a fairly stiff field) and hope friends don't ask "what are those?". Surprisingly given their price, the Oxygens are the smallest and most comfortable IEMS in the test, and the shells are finished to a much higher standard than the rest. Consequently they feel nicer resting against one's skin. Sonically they are not dramatically dissimilar to the TC-01s, and are essentially a little more laid-back with a higher level of refinement. They have a slightly grander soundstage, more prominent highs, but are slightly thinner overall with marginally less prominent bass. As you'd expect they are more resolving and the soundstage is better organized with more depth, and I find them to be smoother & less fatiguing than the TC-01s. So would I recommend spending the extra $220 USD? Yes, but the improvements aren't earth-shaking and probably not worth it unless the rest of your system is up to snuff.

The Tripowin TC-01s have impressed me. They are not perfect, and I would just as easily recommend the BL-01s to non-audiophiles at half the price, but for anyone serious enough to be browsing Head-Fi in the first place the more comfortable shells alone are easily worth the extra cost. Ergonomics are very underrated when you spend hours each day listening to music, one reason why I'm such a fan of single-driver DD's in the first place. One final word: Cables, amplification and source quality matters. Everything in the audio chain matters. If you find an earphone that really suits your sonic preferences you may be better off upgrading your electronics and sticking with them because even budget single-driver DDs can scale amazingly well. DAPs simply lack enough juice to get the most out of them, and potential is left lying on the table with most stock cables as well. As always synergy is king.

So I should change the cable and buy a DAP for the tripowin though it’s not necessary? You should try the filter mod on the blon 03 too, it’s night and day.

Jan 8, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #29 of 117
So I should change the cable and buy a DAP for the tripowin though it’s not necessary? You should try the filter mod on the blon 03 too, it’s night and day.

Not to contradict anything here. My review was focused on the fact that in contrast to the personality of the BL-01......the TC-01 really does go to a great place with a simple phone or IPod. I used an IPod Touch 5th Generation in my review with the stock cable. Though to reiterate, audiophile song files are also needed to take the IEM places with a phone or IPod.

The long and drawn-out point of the review though consists of the fact that if someone wanted to add an audiophile source, DAP, amp.....and copper cable, 4.4mm etc.......that the TC-01 offers the enthusiasts a way to climb to better places. A place with more soundstage, better imaging, better detail, more bass definition and even more bass with a copper cable. All probably both of us are saying is that the TC-01 is reactive to what’s up-stream? :)

Also in my review I reiterated that the TC-01; while not the most detailed (by regular BA treble highs) still owns a vibrancy and strong intensity due to both forwards in upper midrange and bass. To me the TC-01 is getting it’s detail by separation and imaging unique (for me) in it’s price point. It’s still a subtle V but not exactly relaxed.

It’s not all that relaxed due to where the upper midrange will go at big volumes. It (to me) walks that line of forwardness and a nice imaged soundstage. But probably for someone trying it after owning only BA IEMs or hybrids...it will be the quality reverberations and correctness of tone and timbre that will stick out.

Obviously tips and user sound profile preferences are going to be critical to success.

But just the fact that the TC-01 does so well from a phone is charming in and of itself. Though I’m no total expert on $50 IEMs, there may be fields of $50 IEMs that sound this great (from a phone) which have come out the last six months, though I take a leap of faith and guess not.

Edit:
Probably easy for some to guess, the focus of this thread may end up the TC-01 against the BL-03?

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #30 of 117

They are:
Tripowin TC-01 ($50 USD)
BLON BL-01 ($23 USD)
BLON BL-03 ($27 USD)

Impressions

BLON BL-03

BLON BL-01

TRIPOWIN TC-01

TANCHJIM OXYGEN

Such a great read! What fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back