Triplefi 10vi - buying advice? (and now fit issues)
Aug 10, 2010 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

vrenlos

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,
I've been trolling a bit looking for a new pair of IEMs since some scumbag broke into my house a couple of weeks ago and stole my SE530's.  I've got a local guy from craigslist who's going to sell me a new, sealed Triplefi 10vi for $180, but he seemed to dodge where they came from when I asked.

Is there anything I should be wary of?  I haven't heard of any fakes such as with the IE8, but other than that any advice? Thanks.

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #3 of 15
just tell him you wanna know the authenticity of the earphones and ask for the receipt before buying. Say if you bought it from amazon and wanna resell it you won't mind. 

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #5 of 15
So the battle begins.  I would say for the first hour+ of listening the sound is good, but not mind-blowing.  Specifically the bass has not impressed me too much, but that is most likely due to the main problem that I have with them:  I can't get a good seal.

Possibly the most annoying part is that my left ear seals beautifully with either the M or L silicone or the included Comply foams, but I can't get the right to seal worth a lick with any of the included tips, nor any of the spare Shure olives I have laying around.  I went through this with a pair of Klipsch Custom 3's last year and wound up selling them off, and I really hope I don't have a similar situation on my hands.

Aug 11, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 15
Try the flip flop mod.

I tried almost every tip under the sun.  Hit up some bi-flanges off ebay, Sony Hybrids (which I still use), and nothing really worked that well until I tried the flip-flop mod.

Just remember to keep the cables going to their correct respective ear (Left to left, etc).  Then connect the right bud to the left cable and vice versa.  You will want the cables to connect with the L/R on the inside [facing your head].

Not only will they stick out a lot less, I tend to get a much better seal that lasts as long as I want it without having to constantly fiddle with it.  Finally, they sound exactly the same with the flip flop mod if done right.

Give it a try.  Went from liking to loving them overnight

Aug 11, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #7 of 15
Still the same issue...left side fits beautifully, but the right just slips back out no matter the tip used.  I should have known that replacing my stolen IEMs wasn't going to be easy.

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #9 of 15
It's really a shame, but I think I'm just going to see if I can swing a sale or trade rather than try buying tips.  If nothing comes along within a week or so maybe I'll change my mind and buy some of the Sony Hybrids.

Aug 11, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #10 of 15
You're not in south Texas are you?  There's was a guy on my local craigslist selling a pair for about the same price.  First time I've ever seen any audiophile level iems on there,,,

Aug 11, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 15
I used mine with an aftermarket cable (null enyo) ((although this took away the "vi" capability)) and sony hybrids and it improved the fit and comfort so much that was literally night and day for me. The cable I bought for just this reason (ergonomics) after having the stock cable for a week or two and being frustrated and it worked perfectly. I honestly think the cable it comes with stock is one of the biggest culprits in making these fit not well for some. I'm not speaking SQ...just fit..my .02... 

Aug 11, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #12 of 15
Well in being impulsive I'm already both listed them for sale while also ordering Sony Hybrids...we'll see which happens first.  I don't know if changing the cable is going to do me any good, as the problem seems to be the actual shape of my inner ear.

Aug 13, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #13 of 15
TripleFi's really are a hit or miss with fit & comfort... from what you've described you don't have ideal ears for their form factor.  Best bet is to go with the custom remold route for as low as $150-180 total ($80+cables+audiologist fees+shipping via Fisher Hearing)... or just sell and go with different earphones :wink:

Aug 13, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #14 of 15
They Sony Hybrids came in today and immediately made an enormous difference - with the L's the left side still seals just fine and the right seems to actually be doing the same.  I'm going to take a quick walk around the office and see if they hold up.

Aug 13, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
They Sony Hybrids came in today and immediately made an enormous difference - with the L's the left side still seals just fine and the right seems to actually be doing the same.  I'm going to take a quick walk around the office and see if they hold up.

Great news.  I hope they work out.  I love the sound signature, and now that you have a good seal, you hopefully will too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back