Triple fi sounds much better amped? ER4P amped?
May 29, 2010 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

High_Q

1000+ Head-Fier
While back I when I tried the triple fi I didn't think it was outputting good enough sound given its price tag, so I returned them.  They sounded veiled, there were no clarity to the sound.  Then I recently decided to give them a second chance.  I was again disappointed when I compared it with my RE0.  Then I decided to try them amped with my D10, and that made a world of difference to the sound.
eek.gif
 The amp got rid of the veil and everything sounded much clearer and detailed.  I was wondering if the triple fi are meant to be amped, because from my experience I got the wrong impression of its capabilities until I amped it.  I thought it was just overhyped headphones because it sounded like regular cheap headphones unamped.  I didn't expect it to benefit from amping because my RE0 didn't sound that much different without an amp(only increase in volume).  

May 29, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 29

Quote:
While back I when I tried the triple fi I didn't think it was outputting good enough sound given its price tag, so I returned them.  They sounded veiled, there were no clarity to the sound.  Then I recently decided to give them a second chance.  I was again disappointed when I compared it with my RE0.  Then I decided to try them amped with my D10, and that made a world of difference to the sound.
eek.gif
 The amp got rid of the veil and everything sounded much clearer and detailed.  I was wondering if the triple fi are meant to be amped, because from my experience I got the wrong impression of its capabilities until I amped it.  I thought it was just overhyped headphones because it sounded like regular cheap headphones unamped.  I didn't expect it to benefit from amping because my RE0 didn't sound that much different without an amp(only increase in volume).  

Different phones react differently to amplication. From what I've seen, BA (armature) phones react more from amping than dynamic driver phones do. I think the reasoning behind this is that although they can get loud, BA phones aren't given enough juice to adequately power all of the drivers in each ear by just the DAP. 

I noticed this when using the ALO Rx with my UM3Xs. Very big difference. 

May 29, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 29
^Uh huh; same with the comments about the K702s sounding "hollow, dry, or airy". Sometimes you just need the right amplication. 

Sadly a lot of people don't know this and make statements that a lot of people listen to and think are true because instead of asking what the person was using when they made that statement so they could possibly know that the user was using no amp and a crappy source, they take that opinion with some weight and let it sway their purchase. 

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 29
If anyone can claim that its possible to get good sound from a DAP without an amp, can you tell me which DAP was used?

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 29
I think my TF10 sound great out of my Cowon S9, and even better with a portable amp.

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 29
I also find my Triple.Fi sounding great with my Cowon S9, it didn't sound veiled at all. Out of curiosity I got a mini3 and did find it to improve the sound, but not dramatically. Maybe just for some reason it didn't match up well with the DAP that it was paired with.

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:
Maybe just for some reason it didn't match up well with the DAP that it was paired with.

I was using Samsung P3, and I guess it didn't have enough power to drive the phones to its potential.

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #9 of 29

Quote:
If anyone can claim that its possible to get good sound from a DAP without an amp, can you tell me which DAP was used?

Out of all of those players you have you don't feel like you're getting good sound? What are your source filed ripped at? Is there something you just don't like about how your music sounds? I thought the iPod Nano 5gen drove them perfectly fine; the T51 doing an even better job at it. 

Jun 2, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #10 of 29
It seams that my x1051 drives the triplefi better than my p3.  Reason why I thought triplefi needed amping is because my p3 wasn't providing enough power(realized after using x1051 as source) to my triplefi.  Now I can say with confidence that certain IEMs like triplefi need a DAP that can drive it to its intended potential.  I wish I can look at a power output graph comparison of x1051 and p3, assuming its correlated to how well IEMs like triplefi can be driven to verify my assumptions.  Shigzeo? dfkt? Anyone?  

I like the idea of having a DAP and IEM combo that work well together without needing an amp to sound great.  I finally see why IEMs are so popular.  I am afraid I just fell the downslippery slope of IEMs.

Jun 2, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #11 of 29
Just to give some more input, I had my TF10 coming straight from my aluminum macbook and couldn't tolerate the hiss from the headphone out. I ordered the udac and it cleared it right up, but to be honest I haven't noticed any improvement in sound quality.

Jun 2, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #13 of 29
My TF10 is now running out a D2+, great improvement all round.

A all round improvement, everything is alot better not just one section. The improvement is pretty good compare to cable swap, however the cable swap did help with the midrange but amping I can hear a all round improvement.

Jun 2, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #14 of 29
Since Etymotic ER4 has existed nearly a decade, and ER4 are BA phones.  Could it be true that Etymotic started the BA technology?  If not, which company created the BA technology?

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #15 of 29

Quote:
Since Etymotic ER4 has existed nearly a decade, and ER4 are BA phones.  Could it be true that Etymotic started the BA technology?  If not, which company created the BA technology?

No. BA technology was used way before Etymotic created the ER4. I don't quite know who created it but I do know that early use of BA was for telephone use in the military. Also with regards to Etymotic it's not even them who created the BA driver. They use a well known driver in the Knowles ED9689 if I'm not mistaken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back