triple.fi setup
Jan 15, 2007 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

joefosho315

100+ Head-Fier
How are you guys using your UE triple.fi's? For me, I'm using the stock black cable with the medium silicone tips. Also, I know that a lot of you have had success with the double flange tips, but for the life of me, I cannot get a proper seal with them. Lastly, they're being run unamped out of my 5G 60gig iPod.

Jan 15, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #2 of 6
My system is iMod iPod -> xin supermicro iv -> triple.fi's

The sound is pretty amazing: background noise is near zero, the midrange is just intoxicating and I'm hearing more detail and subtle nuances than I do with my reference 2-channel system. I'm absolutely loving these headphones, they were definitely the right choice for me.

I'm using the stock black cable for now, but my brother bought a replacement cable for his clear studio.fi 3's and it was great. It seemed much more durable than the black one that the triple.fi's came with, so I'll probably buy one of those.

I'm also using the medium silicone tips, I tried the double-flange ones but they were less comfortable and didn't seem to make much of a difference when it came to background noise reduction. I'd assume I wasn't getting a good seal either (and I can't tolerate sticking things further into my ears than the single-flanges need to go... which is one of the reasons I went with UE).

Gary

Jan 15, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryAR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My system is iMod iPod -> xin supermicro iv -> triple.fi's

The sound is pretty amazing: background noise is near zero, the midrange is just intoxicating and I'm hearing more detail and subtle nuances than I do with my reference 2-channel system. I'm absolutely loving these headphones, they were definitely the right choice for me.

I'm using the stock black cable for now, but my brother bought a replacement cable for his clear studio.fi 3's and it was great. It seemed much more durable than the black one that the triple.fi's came with, so I'll probably buy one of those.

I'm also using the medium silicone tips, I tried the double-flange ones but they were less comfortable and didn't seem to make much of a difference when it came to background noise reduction. I'd assume I wasn't getting a good seal either (and I can't tolerate sticking things further into my ears than the single-flanges need to go... which is one of the reasons I went with UE).

Gary

I know that your iPod is modded, thereby requiring an amp, but have you had the chance of trying the triple.fi's unamped somewhere else? I'm curious to see what improvements could be had my amping these IEM's.

Jan 15, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 6
I'm picking up the TF10's and a Tomahawk to be my portable system... It seems that I will be using the TF10's unamped for at least several weeks as Ray catches up with the hectic order production...
smily_headphones1.gif

It's running out of a 4GB iRiver Clix, which IMO, has an incredible headphone out - definitely beats the iPod family hands-down. Even the Shuffles, of which I have both the old and new, is outclassed by the Clix.

Jan 16, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by joefosho315 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that your iPod is modded, thereby requiring an amp, but have you had the chance of trying the triple.fi's unamped somewhere else? I'm curious to see what improvements could be had my amping these IEM's.

Not really, unfortunately the source other than the iPod that I can use headphones with is my Nintendo DS lite and I haven't even tried that with the triple.fi's yet. I did compare it with and without the supermicro with my ue studio.fi 3's, and the improvement was very substantial. I'll do the same tomorrow with the new ones and post my thoughts on the differences.

Gary

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 6
I'm using the medium light grey tips that were left over from my super.fi 5 pros. The black tips are just not soft enough to provide a good seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back