triple.fi 10 vocals sound muffled
Dec 18, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #16 of 37
90USD + postage to malaysia?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i said should not must, of course they can do what they like with their own property.

as for my being selfish, hardly. if you look at my sig you see i already have a set of triples so its hardly for my benefit, i was merely thinking of others. it is supposedly the season for that sort of thing is it not?

but no no clearly i was being utterly selfish

Well I don't mean to nitpick, but "must" is a synonym for "should". Therefore it was easy to interpret your post in the way that I did. No harm was intended, just sticking up the OP a bit. I myself would like to cash in on this deal if someone would be willing to sell theirs, but I wouldn't expect them to sell it to me over doing what is most convenient and safe for them (unless of course they chose to do so).

Dec 18, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give it a day or two.

QFT

Also, what tips are you using? When I was using the comply tips on the TF10 it sounded to me like there was a blanket thrown over the sound. Like there was some amazing sound just beneath, if only I could get at it.

I went to Best Buy and got a set of the Sony hybrid tips. The blanket was lifted and that sweet sound I was looking for was finally there. On some song the vocals are still slightly recessed, but on other music like Kings Of Convenience they're quite prominent in the mix.

Dec 18, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #19 of 37
I usually listen to my TF10s straight from my Walkman; sometimes they sound great and involving, sometimes they sound muffled and boring. We're not just talking about just vocals that are sounding cloudy, we're talking about almost everything in the midrange spectrum, right? I think I know exactly what you guys mean.

Personally, I think it's got to do with how my ears are percepting sound at a particular point in time. If I were to listen to an ER4 and go to a TF10 right after, yeah, I'd probably think the TF10s would sound "muffled" 100% of the time. Other times I can just listen to the TF10s unamped, straight from the Walkman, and really notice their clarity and sound separation, which are supposed to be two of their known finer points (aren't they?).

Well as nutty as that might sound, that's what I've noticed in my two months of use with my pair. I definitely feel the Fiio E5 seems to make them sound great all of the time, so if you think your TF10s sound muddy, try them with an E5, and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Dec 18, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I don't mean to nitpick, but "must" is a synonym for "should". Therefore it was easy to interpret your post in the way that I did. No harm was intended, just sticking up the OP a bit. I myself would like to cash in on this deal if someone would be willing to sell theirs, but I wouldn't expect them to sell it to me over doing what is most convenient and safe for them (unless of course they chose to do so).

to nit pick myself, synonyms have similar meanings to each other they do not mean the same thing or we wouldnt have multiple words of a similar nature

Dec 18, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #21 of 37
Alright, let's not let this get out of hand. mark, I definitely understood what you meant by your post and I agree, it is a good idea. In fact, that is exactly what I did: I ended up buying 4 TF10's from the amazon deal and sold 3 of them to head-fiers at exactly the price I paid plus shipping to them ... in this case, my worry was that a used pair would not get me that price so I might as well get full refund rather than lose money for my kindness ...

Dec 18, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #22 of 37
I would not say it is just the vocals. I can not pinpoint it exactly, but I have to EQ- up the Mid area a little. Everything else shines to me. I can tell easier when listening to Mozart or Beethoven Symphonies. Certain instruments are not as up front as they should, and the music does not come-alive as it does when I enable EQ.

Dec 18, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ksu06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, let's not let this get out of hand. mark, I definitely understood what you meant by your post and I agree, it is a good idea. In fact, that is exactly what I did: I ended up buying 4 TF10's from the amazon deal and sold 3 of them to head-fiers at exactly the price I paid plus shipping to them ... in this case, my worry was that a used pair would not get me that price so I might as well get full refund rather than lose money for my kindness ...

I have no doubt you can recoup your losses even used. I know users on other forums that would die to have them -- even slightly used -- for $100 + PP (if they don't use the gift option) + shipping.

The used going value is still more than the sale value because the sale is no more but there's still rather high demand caused by the sale.

In other news, I'm glad I did zero black Friday shopping . . . I snagged much better deals after honestly ^_^

(PS: Mark said no one should send them back, but that doesn't mean they can't if they desire. In this case I heavily agree with him . . . it seems silly when one could benefit others with it, and possibly get a meal out of it too selling a used pair just slightly over sale price
wink.gif
)

Dec 18, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #24 of 37
I've seen this critique a few times, and each time it seems to be coming from an Etymotic owner.

I'm wondering how many TF10 owners who find them muffled are also Ety owners?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #25 of 37
There's no question they would sound veiled to any Ety owners but I think they are very source dependent. They probably fair much better with "brighter" souces like the Cowon players.

I would love to talk with the TFP engineers to find out what they were intending with making such a detailed high end, veiled midrange and detailed and extended bass. I found it a very euphoric IEM actually. I sold mine a few months back and kind of miss the sound....

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjaardker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
QFT

Also, what tips are you using? When I was using the comply tips on the TF10 it sounded to me like there was a blanket thrown over the sound. Like there was some amazing sound just beneath, if only I could get at it.

I went to Best Buy and got a set of the Sony hybrid tips. The blanket was lifted and that sweet sound I was looking for was finally there. On some song the vocals are still slightly recessed, but on other music like Kings Of Convenience they're quite prominent in the mix.

Yes. I'm using the comply tips. I also tried the silicone tips and got the same results. I'll have to try these Sony hybrid tips...

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #29 of 37
Coming from the SF.5 vi, I had this feeling as well. However, after switching to Comply tips which gave me a deeper insertion, it was maybe 50% better. Now my ears have mostly adjusted, but there is still the slight feeling that the sound is a bit missing.

BTW if you would sell them at around 120+shipping in the US, it would be very enticing for me. I was thinking about getting an extra pair made into customs and adding the extra mid driver.

Dec 20, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try the tips in my sig, you never know they may suit you

Thank you. By far, I can not find the right tip for my ears; I did not know it is so difficult to fit Triple fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back