Triple.fi 10 and UE-5c
Feb 12, 2007 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

rem7

New Head-Fier
I currently own UE super.fi 5 and I really like them. I was thinking of upgrading to the UE-5c but now that the triple.fis have been announced im wondering which way I should go.

I know only a limited number of ppl have the triple.fi but I was wondering if anyone has compared the triple.fi with the UE-5c? (I tried searching but didn't see a thread that specific between these two phones.)

The triple.fi are sort of modeled after the UE10Pro but with universal fit (if im wrong correct me)? So, is the difference between the Triple.Fi and UE-5c like if I were comparing the UE10P with the UE-5c? In that case I've read reviews where the UE10P excels over the UE-5c by a lot... How close would the Triple.Fi be to the UE10P?

I dont know, maybe since the phones aren't out yet, its hard to compare them, but I was wondering if anyone had both and what your experiences were?

Feb 13, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 15
I do not have either. I have SF5's but I have searched the ends of the internet reading reviews (as I have considered getting the UE-5c). A lot of people prefer the UE-5C to the UE-10 for general music. UE's customer service steered me towards the 5c over the 10 in fact. The 10 is said to be very neutral and better for musicians, etc. The 10 has less low end. For some that is good, some it is not. The triple.fi is said to sound closer to the UE10 . . . less low end than the SF.5.

I love the sound of the SF5 and might get the UE5c to get the same sound but better fit. That does not really answer your question.

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 15
yeah... I don't know if I would like the UE10 myself, they might be too analytical. I know the UE-5c would be more colorful and I think I would like that. I wonder if the Triple.Fis are as analytical as the UE10s.

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 15
From my recollection, someone posted a comment stating that one of the UE engineers stated that the triple.fi has a sound sig is closer to the UE-7pro, even though it has the same highend driver as the UE-10pro with an extra 1kHz extension.
cool.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 15
The triple.fi, in my opinion, has more/better bass than the Super.Fi 5 pros. Coming from the 5's, I was also worried that the trips would not have the oomph of the 5's, but I was completely wrong. The triple.fi is modeled after the UE 10 Pros, but the trips have a low end boost that is simply magical.

Feb 13, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 15
Clarification. I have not heard the UE-7pro. This does not mean it sounds exactly like the UE-7pro though. Just similarity mentioned. On top of the 1kHz extra top end, it has a 10 Hz lower bass response per the small case included with the Limited edition.

UE-7pro was the first triple driver by UE:
$850 USD
Sensitivity: 124db/1mw
Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 16k
Impedance: 17.5-ohms
Driver: Twin Low/Single High Driver
(Balanced Armatures)
Passive crossover
Extended headroom 124db/mW

Note: Per UE site the first version of the 7pro did not extend as much in the higher frequecies. So I don't know what it's frequency was. From UE: Our original triple driver UE-7 Pro™ is improved even more! The frequency response now extends out to 16k offering the widest frequency response available.

UE-10pro:
$900 USD
Sensitivity: 119db @ 1mw
Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 16k (+ or -3db)
Impedance: 13.3
Driver: Triple (Dual Low-Single High)
Low Frequency: dual loaded armature
High frequency: UE proprietary low impedance extended high frequency balanced armature.

UE triple.fi 10 pro
$399.99 USD
Frequency Response: 10 Hz – 17 kHz (not found on the site, but printed on the triple.fi small case of Limited Edition)
Earphone Type In-ear
Speaker Type
Three individual balanced armature speakers
Input Sensitivity 117dBSPL/mW
Impedance 32 ohms nominal (at 1khz)

So basically each would have their own independant sound signature.

Feb 13, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm about to pull the trigger on some Triple.fi's but I need to know if there is more impact on the bass then with the super.fi's 5 pro?

Answer to your bass question is yes. The question is what do you like in sound. The triple.fi have a balance sound across the board. SF5po have a slightly forward mid, like the E500 but in a different way. SF5pro has better sound stage than the E500 to my ears, but the E500 has just a little more clarity. I have all 3 IEM's.

The triple.fi is unrivaled by either of the other 2 in highend extension, without sounding bright or harsh. I listen to the triple.fi for home and portable, preferred over my Koss Pro4AA Titanium's and AKG 701's.

Ultimately you have to judge for yourself if they have/are the right sound to your liking, as everyones ears are different.

Happy listening with whatever you decide.

Feb 13, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #9 of 15
Oh, for my last post of the night and to the OP. Regarding the SF5pro and the UE-5c, you may want to PM The Monkey. If I recall, he had the SF5pro, UE-5c, and the UE-10pro. Not sure if he owns the triple.fi.

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #11 of 15
so i decided to go for the UE-5c mainly because im looking for comfort. I had my impressions taken this morning at the UE office here in Irvine. When I was talking to Brad Jensen from UE he said that the way he would discribe the Triple.Fi is "the triple.fi have the same drivers as the UE10Pro but are tuned like the UE7Pro, [as the UE10Pro are more neutral]" I guess we will here more reviews from the triple.fi once they are released in March I believe (pretty soon now).

If I really feel like I'll want more bass and quality I'll upgrade to the UE-7Pro, but I think the UE-5c will be enough for now.

Other than that it was a nice experience to be at the UE office. Just like everyone here has said, yes, the UE people are very nice to deal with. Brad showed me around the UE office and he took me to the lab where they make those little headphones lol, it was pretty badass.
I also met Adam, I'm not sure at what he does, but he is the one that showed me pictures of some of the artwork they put on custom IEM's and the variation of colors as I was not sure wich color I wanted to get. I ended up going for clear. He told me that clear IEMs don't turn green/yellow unless you don't clean them and get ear wax inside of them. So basically clean your ears before, and ur IEMs when your done and you should be fine.

I don't know if this is old news, or if anyone had mentioned this, but they are changing the case in which custom monitors come in (at least for the UE-5c). The new case looks like its made out of the same material as the second version of the case in which the Super.Fi 5 Pro come. (I had some of the first SuperFis and then I got them replaced when they cracked open. The second ones came in with a different case --thats the one im talking about.) So the new case is just a little bit bigger and will have space for a music player, in my case, my ipod. I think its pretty cool as I wouldn't wanna carry around different cases. I'll put some pics up once I get it.

They told me they would call me when they were ready so that I could pick them up. Can't wait.

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #12 of 15
rem7, i guess i'm having the similar situation. although i don't have the 5 pro but i heard that many times and i think i like that. thinking about getting the triple fi but they never out. but i don't mind. i'm still waiting but thinking about the ue5c. although since the westone 3 is coming. i'm thinking getting that too. anyway, just wondering why you didn't wait until the westone 3 come out besides comfort? the westone guy said it has good bass just like um2 but better so i assume the westone 3 will have more bass than triple fi.

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #13 of 15
Feb 21, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyway, just wondering why you didn't wait until the westone 3 come out besides comfort?

because im mainly looking for comfort.... and I like the sound of my SuperFi5.

one other thing. B. Jensen explained to me that the SuperFi5Pro and the UE-5c have the same drivers, the reason why they sound different is because the SuperFi5Pro are engineered for a universal fit. from the driver to the tip of the IEM. The 5c are engineered measuring the outer part of your ear to the inside of your ear canal, thus letting them simulate sound stage more accurately. He explained something like that. I wish I would have recorded it, lol. Also since the perfect in the UE-5c is [supposed to be] perfect the bass sounds better.

Feb 21, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #15 of 15
What sup,

I own both UE5c and Triple.fi 10 Pro; sonically, I like the UE5c better because it's more punchy and a lot more comfortable. The triple.fi 10 pro is very detailed but it's very hard to get a good fit with them. PM me if you want more detailed information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back