TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Feb 17, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #241 of 24,683
You can get info on the Bragi Dash here - http://www.bragi.com/

It was in relation to a discussion with Bob about KS, and Bob asked how the Dash was.  Neo was simply replying.  Its relevant here because Bob asked, because it's wireless (and we still have the Phantom wireless model to come).

Personally I found it pretty interesting.

Feb 17, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #242 of 24,683
Right, so... all said and done, as it stands today: I have the Dash, but I want the Phantom Air. :rolleyes:

All i can say is that it will sound great, have play/pause/skip and mic for calls and thats it.

I am not interested in gimmicks just great sound out of a totally wireless iem and as far as i can tell from many campaigns that we maybe the first to do a totally wireless iem that does sound good...which is the important bit right? :wink: :D

Feb 17, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #243 of 24,683
My boss linked me to the Dash a few weeks ago. My response was that it was interesting but almost certainly going to be little more than a proof of concept , just trying to do a lot of things without doing all of them well, and particularly not focusing on sound quality... nice to know I was pretty much spot on. Still a cool idea for the future. 

Revols was another one like this that Kickstarter advertised to me. Again, the focus isn't on the sound - sure, Onkyo is involved but there are no details about the driver or sound that I can find.
The ear-mould gimmick is potentially pretty cool, although I fear it could fail miserably for some people (unique ears and all).
Some other features are promising - mics on each earpiece to let adjustable amounts of outside noise in while outside, rotatable outer shell for easy under or over ear wear - but then I see they talk up the covers coming in various colors to match your outfit and/or shoes, and I realize what the target market is... and it ain't me. 
As far as music playback goes they strike me as a safer bet than the Dash... but hardly a safe bet overall. 

Thats where the Phantom Air comes in. Bob literally just said what the intent is. Keeping it simple. 

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #244 of 24,683
  You can get info on the Bragi Dash here - http://www.bragi.com/

It was in relation to a discussion with Bob about KS, and Bob asked how the Dash was.  Neo was simply replying.  Its relevant here because Bob asked, because it's wireless (and we still have the Phantom wireless model to come).

Personally I found it pretty interesting.

Fair enough, my mouth ran before my knowledge. I apologize.

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #245 of 24,683
  My boss linked me to the Dash a few weeks ago. My response was that it was interesting but almost certainly going to be little more than a proof of concept , just trying to do a lot of things without doing all of them well, and particularly not focusing on sound quality... nice to know I was pretty much spot on. Still a cool idea for the future. 

Revols was another one like this that Kickstarter advertised to me. Again, the focus isn't on the sound - sure, Onkyo is involved but there are no details about the driver or sound that I can find.
The ear-mould gimmick is potentially pretty cool, although I fear it could fail miserably for some people (unique ears and all).
Some other features are promising - mics on each earpiece to let adjustable amounts of outside noise in while outside, rotatable outer shell for easy under or over ear wear - but then I see they talk up the covers coming in various colors to match your outfit and/or shoes, and I realize what the target market is... and it ain't me. 
As far as music playback goes they strike me as a safer bet than the Dash... but hardly a safe bet overall. 

Thats where the Phantom Air comes in. Bob literally just said what the intent is. Keeping it simple. 

I saw the Revols recently and had the same reaction... Funny enough, I actually Kickstarted the Dash before I ever bought my first set of "real" headphones... I'm fairly new to the hobby and act of backing the Kickstarter / waiting for the reward actually got me into this whole mess. During that campaign was the first time I ever heard of balanced armatures 
redface.gif

Also, one thing of note, the Dash does has an external mic transparency mode for safety, swipe the left earpiece to engage 
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #248 of 24,683

I saw the Revols recently and had the same reaction... Funny enough, I actually Kickstarted the Dash before I ever bought my first set of "real" headphones... I'm fairly new to the hobby and act of backing the Kickstarter / waiting for the reward actually got me into this whole mess. During that campaign was the first time I ever heard of balanced armatures 
redface.gif

Also, one thing of note, the Dash does has an external mic transparency mode for safety, swipe the left earpiece to engage 
wink.gif

Yeah I figured the Dash would have the same, can't remember all the features (there were a lot). 

I too would likely have backed (/ preordered, don't think I saw it til after the campaign) just from 'oooo cool' factor if I hadn't already got more headphones than I need, haha. 

Feb 18, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #249 of 24,683
I also looked at the revolvs but the lack of info about what mathers the most left me in that "hmmm good concept bad execution in/or sound incomingo" state of mind.

Main main interest was because of the whole ear-mold thingie (since sound was a big "???), ofc not enough to make me KS it.

Feb 18, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #250 of 24,683
  I also looked at the revolvs but the lack of info about what mathers the most left me in that "hmmm good concept bad execution in/or sound incomingo" state of mind.

Main main interest was because of the whole ear-mold thingie (since sound was a big "???), ofc not enough to make me KS it.

Did it ever describe what sorta driver was even being implemented? Bob's KS was pretty straightforward, like it told you "you back us, this is what you get, this is what's in the box, this is what's in those IEM shells" but the Revols campaign was completely marketing, didn't see any specs other than what the shell was made of. Made the marketing kinda fall flat for me; I don't feel like a custom-fitting IEM is really worth anything if there isn't sound quality to back that up. They didn't specify anything like the drivers they intend to use. With the Trinity campaign, we learned about everything that went into our IEMs, right down to even the sound sig tuning. That's why the Revols, for all their marketing, didn't hook me; I'm just the wrong audience.

Feb 18, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #251 of 24,683

Did it ever describe what sorta driver was even being implemented? Bob's KS was pretty straightforward, like it told you "you back us, this is what you get, this is what's in the box, this is what's in those IEM shells" but the Revols campaign was completely marketing, didn't see any specs other than what the shell was made of. Made the marketing kinda fall flat for me; I don't feel like a custom-fitting IEM is really worth anything if there isn't sound quality to back that up. They didn't specify anything like the drivers they intend to use. With the Trinity campaign, we learned about everything that went into our IEMs, right down to even the sound sig tuning. That's why the Revols, for all their marketing, didn't hook me; I'm just the wrong audience.

precisely why I didn't back them. I really hope their custom fitting concept spreads, though. At this point, top end universals sound just as good as customs that cost twice as much. Fit is the only real benefit, in my opinion.

Feb 18, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #252 of 24,683

precisely why I didn't back them. I really hope their custom fitting concept spreads, though. At this point, top end universals sound just as good as customs that cost twice as much. Fit is the only real benefit, in my opinion.

Yeah, I like their concept of custom molding and it looks like it could work better than the "custom molding for the masses" attempts we've seen in the past. But if I have absolutely zero indication of where it goes sound quality-wise, then I'll skip it. Cuz like you said, nice universals sound just as good. In fact, I have one already that adheres to that sort of concept: Empire Ears (formerly Earwerkz) Supra 2. It's a universal, it looks custom, and it sound incredibly well-composed and rounded even with only 2 BAs. I didn't think a dual BA could represent the freqs well enough but the Supra 2 sounds great. It's one of my daily swaps. I've recently just been rotating through the Supra, Hyperion, and Delta.

Feb 19, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #253 of 24,683

No, i asked for details and nothing. Exactly, so most people (and if u look through the comments) were just drive by the novelty/marketing aspect of it, it could sound like a 10euro iem and most will think its great i bet.

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #254 of 24,683
  No, i asked for details and nothing. Exactly, so most people (and if u look through the comments) were just drive by the novelty/marketing aspect of it, it could sound like a 10euro iem and most will think its great i bet.

On the grounds of marketing and usefulness, for that same price I probably would have gone with the Bragi Dash. But since I like my sound quality, if I were to go for a wireless solution, my money's on Bob and his Phantom Air as it stands. At least we know what we're getting with that, from what it's made of and how the sound is tuned right down to what size tips you get. Bob's campaigns, even in their infancy, draw me in far more than the Dash or Revol campaigns have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back