TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Sep 1, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #5,611 of 24,683
  Do Sabres need some time for burning in? I got them since yesterday, they played 24h and I found them really bass heavy, even on gun metal filters. Need to do some testing, but i really can't tell the difference on bass area between purple and gun metal. Juiced by DP-X1 and coming from SW3 and GR07 BE.

You should check if all the filters have a small vent hole in them (the red ones does not have), that "controls" the amount of bass for each filter. A few people has received one or two filters without the hole and said the same as you.
Hope it helps.

Sep 1, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #5,612 of 24,683
  I ordered the PM4s as well. Though I've had a few different types of great over-the-ear headphones over the years, I've never had a (relatively) expensive pair of In-Ear-Monitors before. Currently at the gym I'm sporting a cheap pair of bassy, and claustrophobic JVC HA-FX101's. Was in the market for something a bit more open and airy, and figured it was about time I stopped cheapening out on In-Ears. Was about to pull the lever on either a pair of Shure SE215's or a pair of FiiO EX1's, but was a bit concerned about the (now) so-so reviews on the prior and the abundant sound leakage on the latter. Then I caught someone recommending something from the Trinity line in another thread, and a few more posts and a bit of searching led me to the hype-train that is this thread. I'm typically not the type to throw money at something that's not been tested and tried, but I figured what the hell. PM4s sound like they might be a pretty good bargain. Sounds like they tick at least some of my boxes. And while more than I've spent for any other In-Ear, they're not so expensive that I'll feel like I'm losing my pants. It'd be kinda...well...maybe not funny, but interesting if after all the hype they end up just being...okay. Trying to set realistic expectations here. I doubt they'll be as good as most of my over-the-ears, but they can't be worse than the JVCs. :D

You're in luck. I've had the SE215. They are outclassed by the RHA MA750 (which i got to replace the SE215). Then i got the Trinity Atlas which greatly outclassed the RHA. Much more punchy and enjoyable sound. And the PM4 is supposed to outclass the Atlas so...

P.S. I also preferred the Atlas sound to the RHA T20i which is like $250 USD.

Sep 1, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #5,613 of 24,683

No one has actually heard the PM4's though (apart from the engineers I'm assuming by now if they'll ship in September as promised); until someone reputable and unconnected to the company has done some good A-B'ing it'll be a bandwagon without a proper basis and therefore a gamble. One I'm comfortable taking given reputation and discounts, but as Adrift points out, they may turn out to be mediocre for the price.

You're absolutely right. Everything is mere speculation. Trinity's reputation does at the very least guarantees you won't get ripped off. The biggest advantage is the tuning filters. Say the quality isn't as good as expected, the sound signature can at least be modified to something that will leave you more satisfied.

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #5,615 of 24,683

You're in luck. I've had the SE215. They are outclassed by the RHA MA750 (which i got to replace the SE215). Then i got the Trinity Atlas which greatly outclassed the RHA. Much more punchy and enjoyable sound. And the PM4 is supposed to outclass the Atlas so...

P.S. I also preferred the Atlas sound to the RHA T20i which is like $250 USD.

Okay. Good to know. I know for years that the SE215's were sort of the golden standard for entry level decent sounding In-Ear-Monitors, but from a lot of the reviews I've been reading lately they're getting a bit long in the tooth, and there are lots of other products out there now that are besting them in the same price range.

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #5,616 of 24,683
@adrift, the only thing I would worry about is ruining these babies with sweat

Yeah, I had thought of that. I've heard others make similar comments for other In-Ears, but I wasn't sure how big of an issue it actually is. I don't sweat buckets at the gym, but it is probably the place I'm more likely to use them than not. Unless I'm doing like nature hikes or something, I'm probably much more likely to grab my ATH-M50's or something. What do most of you use In-Ear-Monitors for? Long commutes on a train or in-door listening or...?

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #5,617 of 24,683

Okay. Good to know. I know for years that the SE215's were sort of the golden standard for entry level decent sounding In-Ear-Monitors, but from a lot of the reviews I've been reading lately they're getting a bit long in the tooth, and there are lots of other products out there now that are besting them in the same price range.

Even the Shure SE846 can't compete anymore because you can get comparable quality at $300 - $400! I wouldn't be surprised if the PM4 joins that camp too. 

Sep 1, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #5,618 of 24,683
Yeah, I had thought of that. I've heard others make similar comments for other In-Ears, but I wasn't sure how big of an issue it actually is. I don't sweat buckets at the gym, but it is probably the place I'm more likely to use them than not. Unless I'm doing like nature hikes or something, I'm probably much more likely to grab my ATH-M50's or something. What do most of you use In-Ear-Monitors for? Long commutes on a train or in-door listening or...?

Indoor relaxed listening. For gym use I have the A&D D2, they are bass heavy but still a good sound for $25 and are sweat resistant

Sep 1, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #5,619 of 24,683
I use my my Sennheiser IE80 for travel mostly (or if I know we're ending up at my sister-in-laws, lol). I use my Sony MDR-XB50AP for the gym, mowing the lawn, or working on things in the garage. They sound pretty decent, are water resistant, and are easily replaced for $20 if something happened to them. In the house its usually over-ear. I'm looking for the PM4's to take over travel and sister-in-law duties.
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #5,623 of 24,683
Hey guys,

I've been browsing through this thread for quite a while, but can't recall finding the following info about the PM4 (on here or on the Trinity page) : does anyone know which registers are covered by the two single BA's ? I ask because I read recently that the Sonion BA's in the PM6 basically cover the entire spectrum (I didn't see freq's but from description it said low & low mids, mids and highs).

I'm just curious if the ones in the PM4 add only to the twin push/pull dynamic drivers in the middle and higher freq's, or if there's also any (sub)bass enhancement going on? That's what I'm hoping for, even though I kind of doubt it :). I'd love a well articulated, fast and extended low-end.. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back