Tried the R10 at the Sony showroom in Ginza, Tokyo
Apr 3, 2004 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Gouki

Head-Fier
Firstly, anyone who is visiting Tokyo, should at least try Ginza. This place is the richest part of Tokyo with many nice shops including APPLE, WACO (most expensive department store), TOSHIBA, BMW, NISSAN, GINZA5 and of course SONY.

Anyway, the Sony showroom was spectacular. The R10 was attached to a SACD mini system playing a bunch of demo discs on the second floor.

I listened to Celine Dion "My heart will go on" because I've heard it so many times, and I wanted to see what was the difference.

Basically, the R10 was very very comfortable. Something about the weight and padding that the R10 had that my CD3000 didn't. I also have a small head, so the R10 makes me look really strange. CD3000 seemed smaller.

I thought the R10 was great, really. Perhaps I don't have sensitive enough hearing, I couldn't hear much of a difference between it and the CD3000. I think the reason is mostly the system of which it was playing out of. There were no amps so I couldn't really test out the R10 fully enough.

The R10 did reek quality and I was impressed. Will I spend that much money on another dynamic pair of headphones?

Well, I really wanted to buy this before the CD3000, but it seems that the CD3000 is perfect for my daily use. The R10 would be wasting its ability and potentials in my hands because I don't have a dedicated amp, SACD players or whatever.

I will pick a STAX system if I had to replace my CD3000, R10 is better for those who has been in the game longer and is willing to build a decent system around it. I've tried the others (Senns. 600/650, ATs, Grados etc etc), but the Sony and Stax seems to stand out from the rest.

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:27 AM Post #2 of 2
R10 without an amp is a big LOL.Your cd3000's potential is wasted as well if you dont have the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back