tried a little expieriment..... WOW
Oct 27, 2009 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Whig Bong

New Head-Fier
My regular setup is some bose 201 series II's and an old techinic's.

today i realized that my guitar amp is sitting at most a foot away from one of my 201's. Then the bulb went off...

I attached my speaker cable to my amp and the sound quality is insane! (at least compared to my 201's ( i havent really ever heard a "true" audiophile setup))

The guitars and bass are clear and crisp. They sound like the guitar is being played straight through the amp. The vocals and other instruments are not bad either.

My amp is a Line 6 spider II 112
It has a custom built loudspeaker from Celestion.
The closet thing that comes to this custom model is the classic lead g12

So what i'm asking for is if there are any drivers i can get that will sound as decent as this? i would love to build speakers that sound like this. (seeing as i cant buy another amp LOL
wink.gif
)

I'm on a bit of a low budget. the most i want to spend is $100 - $200

Thanks for any help in advance.

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 12
If you simply want to duplicate more or less what you're getting from your amp, just get a pair of 12" guitar speakers and build yourself some simple cabinets.

se

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whig Bong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do audiophiles use guitar speakers?

If the music is played through a guitar amp/speaker, why wouldn't it sound as good? I'd say it would sound better than most commercial products for a guitar anyway.

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #7 of 12
well your line 6 (I have the same amp for practice in my room), uses a pretty generic amp and speakers. Nothing fancy or nice about it (from what I can tell). And don't forget that if you plug the audio right into it, you're going from stereo to mono. I'm not sure if it just cuts out one signal (presumably the right signal) or if it mixes both. Either way the sound you'd hear would be distorted, both by the low quality of the amp and the speaker. The clarity that you hear could be the separation of instruments. Take for example old bands that exclusively recorded the bass tracks on the left channel and guitars on the right. If the amp happens to only pick up and amplifies the right channel, then of course you'd get "clear" guitars because you basically eliminated the left channel. If you really find a huge step up going from your bose to your guitar amp, I suggest trying to grab something better than your current speaker set up, the line 6 is far from an audiophile source, it distorts quite a bit making it good for some grunge effects.

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #9 of 12
Guitar/bass drivers in general have a somewhat truncated frequency range and often "color" the sound (due to the physical properties of the driver, certain frequency bands are either emphasized or attenuated, changing the tonal balance). These traits are indeed desirable, as they contribute to the tonal character of the amp (Marshall sound, Crate sound, etc).

In contrast, I think it's fair to say that many, if not most, "audiophiles" prefer their playback equipment to reproduce recorded material as accurately as possible (i.e., with full frequency range and relatively little coloration). Maybe you have a blown driver in one or both of your bose speakers, or perhaps one was wired out of phase.

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #10 of 12
You said above "I attached my speaker cable to my amp"

But just to clarify, did you attach the speaker wires directly to the back of the driver of your line 6? I'm aware that the line 6 has several inputs including an mp3 player input which I figured you used. And if you attached the speaker wire directly to the driver unit, it would still mean you went from stereo to mono, meaning my initial comment regarding possible clarity still stands (you end up having a cleaner sound by getting rid of one of the channels).

Oct 28, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whig Bong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do audiophiles use guitar speakers?

For instrumental electric guitar they should theoretically be very very good, also tube guitar amp are a must.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back