Triad Audio L3 VS. Triad Audio LISA III XP; a Brief Comparison
Aug 18, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #16 of 55
can ya'll speak more about the bass knob..  i just got some LCD-2's today, and with the RX MK2, i found the bass to be nothing short of pathetic.

I have to ad nearly 15db of bass from 85hz on down just to bring them up to "normal" 

does the bass knob allow for drastically increased bass? 
any idea what frequencies it targets?

thanks!

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #17 of 55
^I gave up trying to power top tier cans on the go when the LISA III didn't exactly make my HD800's sing.

Speaking of Knobs, we need some real ones, these rubber caps are an insult!
http://cgi.ebay.com/1pc-Aluminum-Potentiometer-Volume-Knob-16x12-5mm-ALPS-/220817455149?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3369bef82d#ht_1286wt_1071
$4 for 2, look good, and might work with the carbon fiber case when it arrives
http://cgi.ebay.com/14x25mm-Aluminum-Knob-Sand-Blasted-Alps-Volume-/270799923409?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f0ceee8d1#ht_2183wt_1071
$16 for 2 I like these too.
Any other suggestions?

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #18 of 55
Mine arrived yesterday.  I've owned the Lisa III for years, it has been the best sounding amp - by far - of anything else I've tried.  Yes, I tried almost all the hot new amps.  I finally stopped using the Lisa III just because the size finally got too much for this full time, all the time portable guy.

I've stayed in touch with Brad for all the years, great guy, was one of the first to get in line for the new L3.  I've been anxiously awaiting this amp for a long, long time.

I say all this to say my new L3 is a major disappointment.  Major.

First, the headphone output jack either does not work, or the pin on my IEM cable is too short or something.  In any case, plugged into the the L3 I get only one channel of sound.  I'm going to try different headphones in a bit, but if my main phones don't work, well, what's the point?

Second that wooden case:  what in the world are they thinking?  Okay, it looks very cool, very classy, nicely done, but give me a break, the thing is HUGE.  Bigger even then the Lisa, wider and fatter.  This isn't just difficult, this is impossible!  As noted, I am a full time portable guy.  I didn't order the L3 to get a bigger amp!

Brad said in an earlier email that he would be sending a carbon fiber case, but it was sort of vague when this would go out.  I'm wondering if the L3 even comes in anything but wood.  It's likely the wooden case is also causing my input connection problems.  Good grief, this is crazy, what in the word were they thinking? 

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #19 of 55

Quote:
One last thing, is it made in the USA?

FULL DISCLOSURE:
  The PCB is made in USA, has surface mounted parts on the bottom and through hole parts on top. this is as small as we could get
  Part assembly is done in China, and frankly there work is better than we had in the US.
  Batteries were purchased in Hong Kong,  NiMH batteries must be cycled to get max run times, see www.batteryuniversity,com for good info
  Wood cases were done in Oregon USA.
  Final assebly is done where ever in the world I happen to be at the time.

For  4 years we have heard about the size and weight issues.  I have thrown money at so many case attempts..
  There are no factory available cases so all attempts are custom, and expensive..
  The Black machined cases was OVER ONE AND A HALF POUNDS.  and difficult for the machinist to duuplicate reliably. 
  The wood cases are by necesity larger than metal , but come in 11-12 OZ  The reject rate for these cases has been high, 25 % have been returned to the factory,
  It is Not the long term answer.
  Carbon Fibre could be done in the USA - but I would have to wait behind "secret" projects they have ahead of us, the cost is near rediculus..
  So Now I have traveled half way around the world, to pursue the Carbon fibre case .. as soon as my visa clears I have scheduled meetings with a factory in China
 I sweat like a pig in 100 F / 90% humidity but otherwise am having great experiance,  See my video's on FB.

But be realistic here..  THIS IS NOT A C-MOY..  AND WE WILL NEVER BE AS SMALL AS A C-MOY, in a pretty case..........    Brad

Aug 19, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #20 of 55
Thanks so much Brad, it really matters not where it is made for me, just like to know.
As to the case. Well, I will go against the grain (pun intended!) I love the wood case. Size, heck I have been carrying around portable hifi since my first walkman cassette player at the beginning of the eighties.
Think on it, not just the player but also a small case with 10 cassettes as well. This is nothing in comparison to that! I would rather have a bit bigger and better sound than small and compromise on sound. Can't wait to get mine, I think it is going to be a great match for my LCD's!

Aug 19, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #21 of 55
so brad... about that bass knob?
again.. what frequency range does it work in?
any detail about how it works, what it does to the sound would be very much apprecited.. heck it might sell me on the amp.

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #23 of 55

Quote:
Bass Boost,  is same range as the Lisa std.  I am not an electronics wiz and only know what Phil has told me:
The bass frequencies boosted are the exact range, and only those, that Digital Analog Conversion reduces Period.
This allows the listener to bring back the bass to original levels,  or increase for those who like more,
Or if none is used - less than original recording-  Period

Wow, it'll actually reduce the bass huh? never knew that....

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #24 of 55
no the bass knob at full CCW is Flat not reduced, the bass knob only boosts not cut as conventionial bass controls. the boost turnover is at about 100 Hz. the max boost is about 7 to 10 dB depending upon the gain switch setting

Aug 21, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #25 of 55
Does anyone have an idea about what kind of charger is required for the L3? I ordered one today but cannot find anything on the website that would allow me to find one. Someone asked the question on the previous thread but no one replied. Also about the cables not fitting into the amp, this worries me. does anyone know if this problem is being looked in to?

Aug 21, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #26 of 55

Quote:
Does anyone have an idea about what kind of charger is required for the L3? I ordered one today but cannot find anything on the website that would allow me to find one. Someone asked the question on the previous thread but no one replied. Also about the cables not fitting into the amp, this worries me. does anyone know if this problem is being looked in to?

I have had great luck with both LISA III and L3 with THIS low cost charger, yes the Defects on the Wood case that are causing Plug to not fully seat is being looked into at this moment. Note Due to the Close spacing of the jacks large Dia. Audiophile Plugs will not fit so the High Quality CARDAS Interconnect to connect your source to the Mini jack Input.

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #27 of 55

Quote:
I have had great luck with both LISA III and L3 with THIS low cost charger, yes the Defects on the Wood case that are causing Plug to not fully seat is being looked into at this moment. Note Due to the Close spacing of the jacks large Dia. Audiophile Plugs will not fit so the High Quality CARDAS Interconnect to connect your source to the Mini jack Input.

speaking of wood cases,mine arrived with  a small chip in the wood in the right corner under the dc logo. i look forward to a carbon case,as while the wooden case is attractive to look at,over time the finish will wear off,and get trashed in a portable
environment. 

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #29 of 55

Quote:
I think there is some confusion as to the meaning of   "IT"  ---   Rather Clintonist   ---     I think you are referring to the DAC
Phil sat me down once to explain the bass boost, and we listened to a CD of frequencies through the DAC, When we got down to the bass end there was a noticable loss of gain below a certain range. this is the range that Phil said he applied his boost
as Phils philosophy is for pure reproduction of sound without any coloration,  this is the reason there is a bass boost on his designs..

Phil here is referring to the actual bass boost circuitry  ,  witch is not a filter and does not on "its" own reduce the signal  

Yes that demo was to show the effect of the reduction in bass at normal listening levels SEE however the L3 uses only Bass boost and is in no way attempting to recreate this curve and thus has no effect above about 300 Hz

Aug 22, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #30 of 55
The transparency of how and where you make your product you guys show your customers are just refreshing and respectable.  You show us there is no need to hide anything if you do a good job with your product.  Hats off to Triad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back