Triad Audio L3 VS. Triad Audio LISA III XP; a Brief Comparison
Aug 12, 2011 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

BattleBrat

Previously known as Blasto_Brandino.
The L3 is HERE! LONG overdue, this anticipated amp has finally started shipping! But is it better than its predecessor, the LISA III? In this comparison I will tackle that question. I will be comparing the two amps in multiple attributes. There will be no point score, no stars, no "golden headphones" thumbs up or smileys, I will simply compare one to another. This review will be more brief, due to the fact I predict they won't be THAT different I will list attributes and say how each one did in that regard. I will be using the Sony MDR-V6's in this comparison, and will evaluate how well the L3 handles IEM's separately later (the LISA III doesn't really do IEM's).

IN THE BOX;

Packaging was simple, cardboard box, a couple sheets of cardboard, bubble wrap and foam. Included was a cardas dual right angle 3.5mm interconnect. NOT included was a POWER SUPPLY. I have an LLP so I will use that to charge it. Thats all there is...

SIZE;

Yes, for the longest time the Lisa III was the "brickiest" of amps, the L3, I feel will help in this area, unfortunately I was a little late sending in my prepayment back in may, and got stuck with a woody (LOL) Now I was given a metal faceplate that I used to make the Idevice LOD that I was supposed to send to Triad Audio, but my machinist is too busy to make connectors, and all the other machinists want rapist prices to make them. So I can tell you that the metal L3 case is "Cargo Pocketable" so it is something I would actually carry around. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves as for how big the wood case is.

[size=small][size=medium]FIT AND FINISH;[/size][/size]

The wood case is nicely machined, with a Triad audio logo on the top, the edges line up perfectly, however, the depressions for the 3.5 input/output connectors are deep, and could interfere with larger 3.5mm connectors (I can tell you right now that a large Via blue 3.5mm connector won't fit, a new smaller one might) The controls are smooth, to be honest smoother than the Lisa III's, the switches (yes there is a gain switch on the L3 to make it more IEM friendly) are the same. It seems solidly built, there is no support for the knobs on the L3 as there is on the Lisa III, the RCA's are unsupported as they were on the Lisa III. The knobs on the L3 are a bit cockeyed, concerning on a $700 amp......

THE AUDIO TEST

Clarity;

On this front, I'm going to have to hand it to the L3, YES it is clearer than the LISA III, and it is apparent, everything is clear all the way down, and to be honest, a touch smoother than the LISA III.[size=small] [/size]

[size=small]Detail/Resolution;[/size]

[size=small]I'm going to have to hand it to the L3 again! It is more detailed, on the cymbals in "Life in Mono" I can hear greater detail, it is also noticeably smoother than the Lisa III. In Enya's "On My Way Home" I can hear the tambourine(?) in the background more clearly, with greater detail than on the Lisa III it isn't that much greater, but it is there, If I didn't have both in front of me I'd never know.[/size]

[size=small]Grain;[/size]

[size=small]A hot button topic with me, but any grain here is imported by the MDR-V6's the amps are smooth, but the L3 wins in this regard as well, being NOTICEABLY smoother than the LISA III.[/size]

[size=small]Soundstage;[/size]

DRAW! I notice no difference in sound stage on my Binaural track or any track for that matter.

Bass Impact;

Normally I would use HD650's or Ultrasone's for this, but seeing as I cant get my FRIGGEN 1/4 to 3.5 adapter to plug into the L3, I thought I had an Iphone adapter round here somewhere, but I don't. 

The L3 is a little bassier, and is more dynamic all across the board, and it is apparent. With the bass knob turned to max, the bass is equal on both amps, and is TIGHT on both, yet smoother on the L3.

Dynamics;

The L3 wins in this regard, it is more dynamic all the way down, every thing is a little punchier, both amps turn my V6's in to a pair of ultrasone like beasts, tight punchy and dynamic, minus the weird soundstage and unshakeable brightness (yes I have a pair of Ultrasone Pro650's, and plan on buying the Pro900's, maybe the ED8's but gotta hear em first)

Presence;

The L3 is slightly bassier, and it is noticeable. I am also noticing that the L3 is a tad cooler, if you didn't have both to compare you'd never know. other than that the presentation is similar.

CONCLUSION:

IN MY OPINION, TO MY EARS WITH MY EQUIPMENT,THE L3 WON THIS COMPARISON. More dynamic, smoother, but a touch cooler, the L3 didn't disappoint (getting a wood case however, did 
mad.gif
) It was everything I hoped it would be (and more) and a fitting replacement for the LISA III, I guess I can now finally retire my LISA III to full time desk duty and do the capacitor mod (we'll see) 

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 55
Reserved....

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 55
Thank you for a great review, hope to get mine soon! Do you think the Grado adapter will fit the headphone in?

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 55
Ehhhh, I don't think it will, the V6's unimatch plug just cleared it...

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 55
Bugger! Will have to think of something else then, thanks for that!

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #6 of 55
One last thing, is it made in the USA?

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 55
Considering it shipped from Hong Kong, I doubt it, but you should bug Brad to be sure...

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #8 of 55
Considering it shipped from Hong Kong, I doubt it, but you should bug Brad to be sure...

No worries, not a big issue for me as long as the quality is up to his usual standards that is all that matters and it certainly sounds like it is! Should be a step up from my Stepdance and from what I have heard able to drive my LCD2's well.

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #9 of 55
The Lisa III was never powerful, the Arrow could drive the HD650's louder, the Lisa III just drove things better. I need to get my hands on a metal L3 case, preferably one with wood faceplates (best of both worlds IMO) Silver W/Zebrawood (just like my Lisa III), I've grown to love it

Aug 15, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #10 of 55
Yes, I received mine today.I love my Arrow, but this sounds amazing (if five times bigger). And as BattleBrat mentioned, the headphone jack is deep and I had to be fairly firm with my Ed8's to get the plug to go in- very tight. That's the only drawback so far, apart from the lack of any indication that it's charging when it's powered off & plugged in. I haven't seen the metal case version, does anyone know how it compares to the wood version size wise? :D

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #11 of 55
I have a metal faceplate, I can take a pic, give me a sec....
Here, as you can see with a metal case it could potentially be pocketable;

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #13 of 55
Thank you for a great review, hope to get mine soon! Do you think the Grado adapter will fit the headphone in?

The Grado adapter just fits without the feeling that it's being forced- I was a little worried but the jack has a tiny amount of play and I think will allow most plugs- the side of the Grado plug is up against the edge of the jack housing pretty hard, but it doesn't feel damaging, just firm.

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #14 of 55

The Grado adapter just fits without the feeling that it's being forced- I was a little worried but the jack has a tiny amount of play and I think will allow most plugs- the side of the Grado plug is up against the edge of the jack housing pretty hard, but it doesn't feel damaging, just firm.

That's wonderful news. I may trim down the ridge on the outer edge of the plastic a little to ease things along

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #15 of 55
Also, trying to find a power adapter to charge the batteries, do you think this would do the trick?

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=AC+Adapters%2fPlugs&product=2731674

Users who are viewing this thread

Back