TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Sep 7, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #3,031 of 3,865
I have a planar by Yamaha which is like 50 years old and is world’s first planar technology backed headphone. This old legend is still sounding solid in my collection, it’s very vivid and dynamic when amped. How amazing a consumer electronics could last 50years and still sounding impressive! What a masterpiece. https://spectrum.ieee.org/the-consumer-electronics-hall-of-fame-yamaha-hp1-headphones

i3 Pro indeed inherited that planar spirit from engineers of the past Century to me.
Wow, 50 years old. 10 times older than us.:ksc75smile:

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #3,033 of 3,865
There is a new planar iem to compare to: 7hz Timeless…
P10908-135612.jpg

This one? I will try it and i am not sure whether to review it.
P10901-185249.jpg

But I am sure to review i3 pro. Autually I got my i3 pro two weeks ago and I don't really listen to much. Because I am very busy recently. maybe just a brief review to write something different.

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #3,034 of 3,865
P10908-135612.jpg
This one? I will try it and i am not sure whether to review it.
P10901-185249.jpg
But I am sure to review i3 pro. Autually I got my i3 pro two weeks ago and I don't really listen to much. Because I am very busy recently. maybe just a brief review to write something different.
Lucky! Would be great also a very short comparison…please, if you can!:)

Sep 8, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #3,035 of 3,865
Lucky! Would be great also a very short comparison…please, if you can!:)
I will try, and I am going to review timeless as well. but I am not going to post it here.

Sep 8, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #3,040 of 3,865
Here is some pictures of the TRI i3 Pro I wanted to share so you know what they come with.

NOTE : Mine are not a review sample and bought them from the Kbear AliExpress store.

IMG_20210906_203704.jpg

IMG_20210906_203753.jpg

IMG_20210906_204012.jpg

IMG_20210906_203833.jpg

IMG_20210906_203855.jpg

Now as I have been using them for a few days I wanted to share my experience with them and I am still working on my video for it.

Comfort / fitment - I have unfortunately not tried the original but the smaller shell redesign seems to have been a good move and I had no issues what so ever but I did notice it takes a second or two for the pressure to normalise when I put them in my ear.

TRI i3 Pro Left and Right.jpg

Above is my graph of the i3 Pro and I measured both units multiple times to get a standard measurement and the driver matching is very good.

Sound - These are not mid bass heavy as I was expecting but they are more sub bass focused which suits me fine. Mids are very smooth with an elevation towards the upper part but they are not shouty and vocals sound great. Treble is the only thing of note as it does drop off a but they don't sound dark and ignore the 8K peak as that is resonance from the coupler. Instrument separation is very good and everything sounds clear.

Soundstage is very wide and imaging is pretty good as well. They on the whole have great technical performance and the blend of the DD, Planar and BA seems to be very coherent and I am looking forward to see what TRI do next in the future.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #3,041 of 3,865
New shell of starlight and starshine, Which one will you want?

1.jpg
I'm a sucker for anything purple, so my seal of approval goes to that.

Sep 8, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #3,042 of 3,865
Sep 8, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #3,043 of 3,865
Hello, thank you for your reply

When it comes to the sound of my TRI I3 + Qudelix-5K + my current cable, I can say that I am pleased in overall. It is just that, sometimes, I would prefer a softer sound... Sometimes the treble sounds a bit harsh... I am listening to Amazon HD almost exclusively + some YouTube. I am listening to Electronica 80% of the time. Trance, Progressive, Vocal Trance. The rest of the time, I am listening to Pop music from the 80s until today. My EQ is set to... Classical preset because, believe it or not, that sounds best to my ears! The truth is, I have not tried the stock TRI I3 cable almost at all because I "rushed" to purchase the Linsoul TRIPOWIN I am currently using, straight away due to the 2.5mm Balanced output, I wanted to use.

I would appreciate it if @WendyLi would offer her opinion, as well, especially regarding which is the correct type of this cable for me.

Thank you.
Have you tried experimenting with the PEQ, in the Qudelix-5K ?

(random screen grab, for Fiio FD5)
FiiO FD5 n TapeQudelix.jpg

Sep 8, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #3,045 of 3,865
Here is some pictures of the TRI i3 Pro I wanted to share so you know what they come with.

NOTE : Mine are not a review sample and bought them from the Kbear AliExpress store.

IMG_20210906_203704.jpg

IMG_20210906_203753.jpg

IMG_20210906_204012.jpg

IMG_20210906_203833.jpg

IMG_20210906_203855.jpg

Now as I have been using them for a few days I wanted to share my experience with them and I am still working on my video for it.

Comfort / fitment - I have unfortunately not tried the original but the smaller shell redesign seems to have been a good move and I had no issues what so ever but I did notice it takes a second or two for the pressure to normalise when I put them in my ear.

TRI i3 Pro Left and Right.jpg

Above is my graph of the i3 Pro and I measured both units multiple times to get a standard measurement and the driver matching is very good.

Sound - These are not mid bass heavy as I was expecting but they are more sub bass focused which suits me fine. Mids are very smooth with an elevation towards the upper part but they are not shouty and vocals sound great. Treble is the only thing of note as it does drop off a but they don't sound dark and ignore the 8K peak as that is resonance from the coupler. Instrument separation is very good and everything sounds clear.

Soundstage is very wide and imaging is pretty good as well. They on the whole have great technical performance and the blend of the DD, Planar and BA seems to be very coherent and I am looking forward to see what TRI do next in the future.

Thanks for the impressions!

Do u happen to have the original TRI I3 to compare it with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back