TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Jun 17, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #2,581 of 3,865
Somewhat disappointed with this: 😕

rank / tone grade / technical grade
Screenshot_20210617-022119_1.png
https://crinacle.com/2021/06/13/the-pre-show-update-iem-ranking-list/
My advice, only look at his technical grade as a rough ranking guide, and only to check for outliers where the price to performance ratio is especially good or bad (and that database is a little skewed by the need to present certain sets in a good light compared to everything else).

I have A, B and C graded sets (overall) from that list and rank all 3 as A grade based on my personal preferences and music library. The C set gets the most listening time as well.

Jun 17, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #2,582 of 3,865
Yea that might be the case, mid bass impacts is something flavor dependent, I’m more inclined toward western profile, the clairvoyance tuning compared to Eastern profile of Monarch /Yume tuning for bass floor arrangement. Dusk is something in between and well tuning balance IMO.
Clairvoyance is shockingly close to the Harmon 2019 curve and reviews extremely well. If it had a smaller shell, I would be very seriously considering them. It does seem that a lot of the mid-fi chi-fi sets are tuned more to a flatter reference with some treble gain, more akin to the TRI Starshine. This doesn't necessarily mean that they don't produce bass or have weighty mids, but it does mean that these are balanced more severely against the treble, which usually stands out by comparison because the graph is fairly flat through to the treble, where you get gain up to around 5.5kHz before dropping off again. Not exactly to my preference either, but I can see the appeal, particularly for acoustic instrumental music. It reminds me that Foster is a much beloved developer of full-range drivers in asia with very flat frequency responses.

Jun 17, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #2,584 of 3,865
Sorry? What Neon Pro?
The original i3 compared to the i3 Pro that is replacing it (or whatever it ends up being named).

Jun 18, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #2,585 of 3,865
This is all we know:
1623943798965.png
from a facebook comment

I did find the TRI I3 she'll a bit big and heavy, but I think the huge metal shells to some extent, are responsible for imparting the huge 3d soundstage in the TRI I3 (when it is fed adequate power).

It can approach soundstage size of some earbuds actually. I'd be happy if they can change the shells to smaller sizes, but still keep the awesome soundstage.

Yeah smaller shell it seems. I do believe there will be changes in the sound due to that, lets hope it isnt a downgrade though. And yes, I believe that the size is huge on the original, I believe the pictures on it made it look bigger than the Blessing 2 which is already a very big iem (too big for me).

Here is a pic vs the Z1R:
1623944150947.png
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tri...ight-new-starsea.921113/page-38#post-15841632

Praying the GT12 is good as well, should be a good sign to what I will get. (my package got delayed so its still a long time until I get mine..)

The Z1R has one of the worst fits for me in an iem. It was even worse than the infamous blon bl03 fit.

I know a lot of folks put the Z1R in their top five best IEMs list for sound, but the fit was a deal breaker for me, in addition to the too recessed mids.

Hoping the fit will be better than the Z1R!

Jun 19, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #2,588 of 3,865
I am really sad to report that my TRI I3, the two-pin version, have badly loose connectors, that is the lateral motion of the 2-pin units in a shell. Both connectors are loose, the right one being especially bad to the point of "rattle".

That is definitely the design issue: the "type B" connector is flash with no groove for the cable to attach firmly, and then the connector in a shell is not mounted securely. TRi switched from MMCX and did not work out the design sadly.

My only other instance of loose connectors is the proverbial TRN.
Perhaps, if it starts with "TR", it is gonna rattle as in "TR-TR" (my attempt on a sad joke :frowning2:)
To follow up on this sad experience of mine with TRI I3 after multiple PMs with Wendy over the last week.

First, she sent two(!) messages thanking me for pointing out the problem with the design. Surely nice, right?
I replied that I am definitely more than happy to serve as a beta tester of $100+ IEM, but what about their warranty?
The warranty does exist - she replied in the next message nearly cryptically.
So I had to ask - does it possibly apply in my case where the design issues are obvious and were acknowledged in the previous E-mails.
Sure, she said - just contact the store you got it from, they should be able to help. So the usual, as you very well know with AE...
Also each e-mail took one day, and we are here after 4-5 days...

Not unfair by ... some minimal standards, I guess, but clearly the role of the TRI representative then is just to post pretty pictures and solicit sales - that as much we have to agree. Nothing premium of TRI and anything that should command any higher prices compared to KZ and TRN.

Getting TRI $200+ IEMs would be just unimaginable to me now, no matter how you slice it.

I can surely reach the store in AE and make the "usual" video (I actually never did it, had only one return in AE for 100+ purchases, and it was simple given the company had a Canadian warehouse but with some obvious time&money loss).
If I do - I will sure to post it here - the dangling of the connector is quite dramatic and evident of the rushed design when switching from poor MMCX to two pins.

Or, since I really like TRI I3 (not in the absolute sense, but nicely contrasting with my all-BAs, and surely a keeper by the sound signature), I can just try to secure the connectors with epoxy or cyanoacrylate glues that ironically could be faster than even writing this message, yet I3 are a premium $120+ IEM, and the bitterness with TRI will still linger ever after!

It painfully reminded me my first experience with TRN. I had a defective X6 unit (also a connector, only one side, and definitely a QC rather than a design issue, so twice better than TRI in fact), and there was a person (a "cup man"), who at that times posed as a TRN tuner, promoting how great TRN was compared to KZ. I naively thought that bringing my problems with their "flagman" at the time, X6 - "famously" tuned by him, would elicit some response. No. He just talked about the best TRN cables for X6 and their capacitance - that was the point for me to revisit the credibility of the most what is posted here, that really helped in a retrospective.

So I have tried to state the facts. You can make your own conclusions.
I understand that many, if not most of people here are either reviewers (with their unbiased opinion, as usual...) or aspiring to be ones.

So my message is for those who are looking for their next IEM and are capable of some critical thinking.

TRI (and KBEar) joined my black list of "never touch" other than for spare parts.
TRI, TRN - the same difference now...

P. S. An important point to add is that the technical issue is definitely NOT about two-pin vs. MMCX. Two pins are infinitely superior to me. With the loosely secured connector, like in this case, MMCX will be destroyed upon detaching that always requires some force. These two-pin ones (again, both sides, one is really bad) survive and may be usable for some time, but not enjoyable sadly.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #2,589 of 3,865
To follow up on this sad experience of mine with TRI I3 after multiple PMs with Wendy over the last week.

First, she sent two(!) messages thanking me for pointing out the problem with the design. Surely nice, right?
I replied that I am definitely more than happy to serve as a beta tester of $100+ IEM, but what about their warranty?
So I had to ask - does it possibly apply in my case where the design issues are obvious and were acknowledged in the previous E-mails.
Sure, she said - just contact the store you got it from, they should be able to help. So the usual, as you very well know with AE...

Not unfair by ... some minimal standards, I guess, but clearly the role of the TRI representative then is just to post pretty pictures and solicit sales - that as much we have to agree. Nothing premium of TRI and anything that should command any higher prices compared to KZ and TRN.

Getting TRI $200+ IEMs would be just unimaginable to me now, no matter how you slice it.

I can surely reach the store in AE and make the "usual" video (I actually never did it, had only one return in AE for 100+ purchases, and it was simple given the company had a Canadian warehouse but with some obvious time&money loss).
If I do - I will sure to post it here - the dangling of the connector is quite dramatic and evident of the rushed design when switching from poor MMCX to two pins.

Or, since I really like TRI I3 (not in the absolute sense, but nicely contrasting with my all-BAs, and surely a keeper by the sound signature), I can just try to secure the connectors with epoxy or cyanoacrylate glues that ironically could be faster than even writing this message, yet I3 are a premium $120+ IEM, and the bitterness with TRI will still linger ever after!

It painfully reminded me my first experience with TRN. I had a defective X6 unit (also a connector, only one side, and definitely a QC rather than a design issue, so twice better than TRI in fact), and there was a person (a " cup man"), who at that times posed as a TRN tuner promoting how great TRN was compared to KZ. I naively thought that bringing my problems with their "flagman" at the time, X6 - "famously" tuned by him, would elicit some response. No. He just talked about the best cables for X6 and their capacitance - that was the point for me to revisit the credibility of the most what is posted here, that really helped in a retrospective.

I understand that many, if not most of people here are either reviewers (with their unbiased opinion, as usual...) or aspiring to be ones.

So my message is for those who are looking for their next IEM and are capable of some critical thinking.

TRI (and KBEar) joined my black list of "never touch" other than for spare parts.

P. S. An important point to add is that the technical issue is definitely NOT about two-pin vs. MMCX. Two pins are infinitely superior to me. With the loosely secured connector, like in this case, MMCX will be destroyed upon detaching that always requires some force. These two-pin ones (again, both sides, one is really bad) survive and may be usable for some time, but not enjoyable sadly.
Sorry to hear this. But yeah, the entire chi-fi market needs to improve its customer support and QC overall. You would expect that a company would support their customers even if the lose some money short-term. But in the long-term, having better customer support (and QC) will mean that it is more likely for the customer to return.

Jun 19, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #2,590 of 3,865

It painfully reminded me my first experience with TRN. I had a defective X6 unit (also a connector, only one side, and definitely a QC rather than a design issue, so twice better than TRI in fact), and there was a person (a "cup man"), who at that times posed as a TRN tuner, promoting how great TRN was compared to KZ. I naively thought that bringing my problems with their "flagman" at the time, X6 - "famously" tuned by him, would elicit some response. No. He just talked about the best TRN cables for X6 and their capacitance - that was the point for me to revisit the credibility of the most what is posted here, that really helped in a retrospective.

Awful, that you are left in this situation through no fault of your own. This is clearly a design issue which failed and you are an innocent victim.

Hopefully a solution will be found.

Jun 19, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #2,591 of 3,865
My advice, only look at his technical grade as a rough ranking guide, and only to check for outliers where the price to performance ratio is especially good or bad (and that database is a little skewed by the need to present certain sets in a good light compared to everything else).

I have A, B and C graded sets (overall) from that list and rank all 3 as A grade based on my personal preferences and music library. The C set gets the most listening time as well.
I agree. Out of the box the Starlight have really extended and bright treble. They are detail bombs for sure. But, if you use a good cable, tips and bring down the 8k and 16k with EQ then they are excellent. I am so amazed at how detailed they are without coming across as sharp. I tend to be sensitive to the 8K emphasis that many IEMs are tuned with and these were no different. However, because of the way eStats present the high frequencies they can be tuned down and still sound amazing on these. I failed to achieve that with the TSMR Land. bringing the EQ down on them just felt like they were missing something once the harshness was mitigated.

Jun 20, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #2,592 of 3,865
I agree. Out of the box the Starlight have really extended and bright treble. They are detail bombs for sure. But, if you use a good cable, tips and bring down the 8k and 16k with EQ then they are excellent. I am so amazed at how detailed they are without coming across as sharp. I tend to be sensitive to the 8K emphasis that many IEMs are tuned with and these were no different. However, because of the way eStats present the high frequencies they can be tuned down and still sound amazing on these. I failed to achieve that with the TSMR Land. bringing the EQ down on them just felt like they were missing something once the harshness was mitigated.

is starlight suitable for technical death metal and classic orchestra genre ????

Jun 20, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #2,593 of 3,865

Hi friend,

I think you misunderstood me. I admitted that your I3 may not work well, then replied you our warranty policy, and asked you to contact La Electric AE store, the store you purchased the I3, which is the regular procedure for solving the problem since you didn't buy the I3 directly from our official store. There is no doubt that you should contact the AE store first rather than ask me to do what you are expected to get. I know you are a victim, so I made a sincere apology for you at the very first time. And I know we KBEAR has a responsibility since I3 is one of the models of our sister brand. I told our factory to improve products' quality already and we are dedicated to making our products better. But the AE store also has a responsibility to help you. You are the direct consumer of AE store and you paid money to buy I3 from that store. Shouldn't you ask them to provide after-sales service for this product? Is there anything wrong with the logic or the order of processing your concern/problem?

You are right. I am not customer service. To be frank, this is not my duty. But I still want to do something for you, maybe just a little bit from your perspective. It turned out to be not enough, right? My job is like what you said, just "to post pretty pictures and solicit sales". That is why I told you that we have special staff who is responsible for agent business, and let you contact the AE store, then AE store will reach the staff who works on the project and figure out a solution for you. For this, I made an example (a return to fix for your I3) in my message. So this made you think I am escaping from your problem? Or refusing to help you or so?

Frankly speaking, I can understand you fully. I hope you can understand me as well. If there is something in this post that let you feel unpleasant or offensive, I am sorry! I just do what I can do and do what I think is right. What's most important is to solve the problem instead of blaming/complaining to each other.

1624241075527.png

1624240299208.png

1624240353204.png

Attachments

• 1624239938255.png
    1624239938255.png
    108.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1624240033535.png
    1624240033535.png
    108.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #2,594 of 3,865
is starlight suitable for technical death metal and classic orchestra genre ????
I don't typically listen to either genre but I would bet it works well with most of what you throw at it. I do listen to some Nine Inch Nails occasionally and it sounds great on the Starlight.

Jun 21, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #2,595 of 3,865
I don't typically listen to either genre but I would bet it works well with most of what you throw at it. I do listen to some Nine Inch Nails occasionally and it sounds great on the Starlight.
I have been listening to Mahler (Symphony No. 1), Beethoven (Symphony No. 7) and Stravinsky (Rite of Spring and Firebird Suite (1919)) on both my Starlights and Starsea today and I love both for the type of classical I listen to (which is mostly orchestral). Both present classical music differently with the Starlight the more spacious (in terms of soundstage) of the two. I do love the "up close and personal" sense I get from the Starsea and enjoy listening to classical on both iems. I will report further on how the Starshine renders classical music as soon as they are delivered , which should be anytime now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back