TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Jun 3, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #2,433 of 3,865
I've had the Starseas for some time and have eventually come to a setup that they sound good with.......for me. Even though they appear to be easily driven they sound a bit dull from my mobile phones. I find a copper cable is essential, so I use an inexpensive Faaeal Copper cable, 4.4mm from either my HiBy R5 or iFi hip-dac. I use both high-gain to make sure there is plenty of juice and I use, what you have ordered....Spiral Dots. IMHO Silver or Silver mix cables thin the sound out too much. The bass switch and it's opposite vocals create an uneven sound to my ears so I use them standard or balanced.
1622541652925.png

Nowadays I accept I have to tailor all my IEMs to get the best out of them, 90% of the time that means finding the right cable, the right tips, and enough power. With the Starsea, the timbre of the highs is reasonable, but not perfect, but I do find the weight and thickness of notes on violins etc very accurate and that is very important for me.

We all have good test pieces and mine is

Sibelius Violin Concerto​

Philharmonia Orchestra Adrian Justus Enrique Batiz

Personally I think there is a shortcoming to many ChiFi brand IEMs and that is unit variability although TRi seemingly have good standards of consistency. I have received a few different IEMs that sound nothing like the reviews from others. I really hope you find a setup with the Starseas that you like.
Yes, I also use a Faaeal Hibiscus cable and Spiral Dots. I find the balanced setting the best with my Xduoo X20 DAP.

Jun 3, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #2,435 of 3,865
Jun 3, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #2,436 of 3,865
Jun 3, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #2,437 of 3,865
Jun 3, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #2,438 of 3,865
My Starlights arrived today, bought them new off AliExpress, all safe and well packed. Unfortunately they have a heavy channel imbalance. Left one plays much louder than right one on all my sources. Double checked it with other headphones. my hearing works perfectly.
I think, there is just the mids and/or highs not working correctly on the right side.
When I snip my finger on them, it makes a different noise top. Left one is a deeper sound, right one much lighter. I tried different cables, tips and changed from right to left. No, it‘s not my faulty hearing.

So, what to do now? They are unusable for me right now. I already contacted the shop support.. but hey, a 600 € headphone and a problem like this is not a good combination.

My Starlights have the same thing going on. I just sent a PM to Wendy, curious what to do. i have only the stock 3.5 cable, i think my aliexpress order of the TRI 4.4 cable should be arriving today.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #2,440 of 3,865
graph (19).png
Wow, the Starshine looks better lol. 500 vs 3500 usd. :joy:

Specs are also similar, with the starshine having 2 BA + 2 EST while the Elysium having 1 BA + 1 DD + 2 EST. Although its quite strange that they used the DD for the mids instead of the bass…

Jun 3, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #2,441 of 3,865
graph (19).pngWow, the Starshine looks better lol. 500 vs 3500 usd. :joy:

Specs are also similar, with the starshine having 2 BA + 2 EST while the Elysium having 1 BA + 1 DD + 2 EST. Although its quite strange that they used the DD for the mids instead of the bass…
Clearly Vision Ears made the choices they believed was best for the sound they wanted on the Elysium at $3,500.

To my ears, at $500 usd, the TRI Starshines sound incredibly good. The quality of the BA bass is probably the reason for using BA instead of DD for the bass, which might well have have influenced Vision Ears decision to use DD for mids and maybe to give the lower mids a bit more body. In any case, it is no wonder the graph indicates that the TRI Starshines are better!

I take the view that TRI's success across the range is based on good tuning, add to that the relatively lower price, build quality and reliability.

Hopefully, @infinity650 and @qua2k QC issues remain rare (better still non- existent) as has been the case previously.

Jun 3, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #2,442 of 3,865
Clearly Vision Ears made the choices they believed was best for the sound they wanted on the Elysium at $3,500.

To my ears, at $500 usd, the TRI Starshines sound incredibly good. The quality of the BA bass is probably the reason for using BA instead of DD for the bass, which might well have have influenced Vision Ears decision to use DD for mids and maybe to give the lower mids a bit more body. In any case, it is no wonder the graph indicates that the TRI Starshines are better!

I take the view that TRI's success across the range is based on good tuning, add to that the relatively lower price, build quality and reliability.

Hopefully, @infinity650 and @qua2k QC issues remain rare (better still non- existent) as has been the case previously.
With the neutral tuning they seem to be going for, its not a problem at least in my opinion. To go for the cleaner BA rather than the usually slower and looser DD bass.

Of course, my own preference still aligns towards DD bass. :wink:

Jun 3, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #2,443 of 3,865
With the neutral tuning they seem to be going for, its not a problem at least in my opinion. To go for the cleaner BA rather than the usually slower and looser DD bass.

Of course, my own preference still aligns towards DD bass. :wink:
I agree that DD bass has a lot to offer even if marginally slower, especially for neutral tuning.

Jun 3, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #2,444 of 3,865
I agree that DD bass has a lot to offer even if marginally slower, especially for neutral tuning.
Yeah, better texture, sense of actually pushing air and more natural timbre are very hard for me to give up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back