TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Jun 1, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #2,416 of 3,865
Jun 1, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #2,417 of 3,865
For me without that, Starsea is just “ah well tuned thing but nothing ‘special’/‘stands out’, and rather boring” sound.
This is my exact felling about starsea.

I bought some spiral dots tips following some advice from a member (sorry i forgot the name) and i hope that my experience somehow improve.

I listen music on hiby r2 or on phone with BTR3K.

Any advice to improve without spending too much money?

Jun 1, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #2,418 of 3,865
This is my exact felling about starsea.

I bought some spiral dots tips following some advice from a member (sorry i forgot the name) and i hope that my experience somehow improve.

I listen music on hiby r2 or on phone with BTR3K.

Any advice to improve without spending too much money?
I've had the Starseas for some time and have eventually come to a setup that they sound good with.......for me. Even though they appear to be easily driven they sound a bit dull from my mobile phones. I find a copper cable is essential, so I use an inexpensive Faaeal Copper cable, 4.4mm from either my HiBy R5 or iFi hip-dac. I use both high-gain to make sure there is plenty of juice and I use, what you have ordered....Spiral Dots. IMHO Silver or Silver mix cables thin the sound out too much. The bass switch and it's opposite vocals create an uneven sound to my ears so I use them standard or balanced.
1622541652925.png

Nowadays I accept I have to tailor all my IEMs to get the best out of them, 90% of the time that means finding the right cable, the right tips, and enough power. With the Starsea, the timbre of the highs is reasonable, but not perfect, but I do find the weight and thickness of notes on violins etc very accurate and that is very important for me.

We all have good test pieces and mine is

Sibelius Violin Concerto​

Philharmonia Orchestra Adrian Justus Enrique Batiz

Personally I think there is a shortcoming to many ChiFi brand IEMs and that is unit variability although TRi seemingly have good standards of consistency. I have received a few different IEMs that sound nothing like the reviews from others. I really hope you find a setup with the Starseas that you like.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #2,419 of 3,865
I would have liked more extension, more texture, and a little higher amount. It was good/OK, but I want a lot more than that for the price.
I'd love to see them take a stab at a hybrid bass system with a DD to handle the bulk of the impact in the sub-bass and bass response, but with a subwoofer BA driver to provide a more accurate overlay of bass. It'll still end up ever so slightly muddled by the worse transient performance of DD compared to BA drivers, but you really can't compete with a DD for sub-bass and bass impact. This seems to be especially true for titanium foil drivers, but a CNT driver tuned more specifically may also offer similar impact without the cost to agility. Sonion 38 series drivers would be a fantastic choice, since they have incredibly flat performance low down according to their documentation, so the addition of the DD would give it that nice, club-style bass gain that a lot of people like myself thoroughly enjoy in our daily listening earphones.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #2,420 of 3,865
I've had the Starseas for some time and have eventually come to a setup that they sound good with.......for me. Even though they appear to be easily driven they sound a bit dull from my mobile phones. I find a copper cable is essential, so I use an inexpensive Faaeal Copper cable, 4.4mm from either my HiBy R5 or iFi hip-dac. I use both high-gain to make sure there is plenty of juice and I use, what you have ordered....Spiral Dots. IMHO Silver or Silver mix cables thin the sound out too much. The bass switch and it's opposite vocals create an uneven sound to my ears so I use them standard or balanced.
1622541652925.png

Nowadays I accept I have to tailor all my IEMs to get the best out of them, 90% of the time that means finding the right cable, the right tips, and enough power. With the Starsea, the timbre of the highs is reasonable, but not perfect, but I do find the weight and thickness of notes on violins etc very accurate and that is very important for me.

We all have good test pieces and mine is

Sibelius Violin Concerto​

Philharmonia Orchestra Adrian Justus Enrique Batiz

Personally I think there is a shortcoming to many ChiFi brand IEMs and that is unit variability although TRi seemingly have good standards of consistency. I have received a few different IEMs that sound nothing like the reviews from others. I really hope you find a setup with the Starseas that you like.
I will try your cable suggestion, also thank you for your reply!

Jun 2, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #2,421 of 3,865
My Starseas have just landed. Am pairing them with the supplied black foam tips and my Dunu Chord. Tried the Standard, Balanced and Amazing Bass tunings. My preference is the Standard tuning as it seems brighter and more spacious compared to the Balanced Tuning. I couldn't hear any difference between the Standard and Amazing Bass tuning.

Initial impressions: blown away!! The tuning on the Starseas are just amazing. So very laid back and yet with so much detail. Obviously the detail cannot compare to the Starlights. They are just more laid back and so very enjoyable. Soundstage is not as spacious as the Starlights but they are plenty. If anything the less spacious soundstage make them a little more personal and I am digging it!!

I still can't believe that these cost just over a hundred. Punching way above their weight! I got to say that these are not perfect. Which iem ever is? But these will definitely go into my rotation and will be ones that I look forward to.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #2,422 of 3,865
What are you listening in your earphones?
Here is mine:

Now your turn :ksc75smile:

A bit late in jumping on this, but I've been really enjoying some music out of Japan these days. I'm not fortunate enough to be able to actually understand it, but it's still beautiful regardless.

I love how balanced this song is. Beautiful twinkling highs, mids that can help you discern the timbre of your drivers, and lows that still dive surprisingly deep despite not being a particularly bass-heavy song.

This one has some nice vocals and sounds a lot like an anime opening theme song.

I'm really liking this EP for it's bright, sparkling highs that really show off a well-tuned BA.

Some very interesting mid-high instrumentation with some mid-bass thump in the background. It's got a somewhat peculiar sound to it, but I've grown quite fond of this song as well

And finally we've got some songs adapted from video games. Bonus points if anyone can identify the incredibly popular bullet-hell shooter series that this artist is drawing their melodies and leitmotifs from. It's got a cult following, so it isn't too hard to figure out.

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #2,423 of 3,865
My Starlights arrived today, bought them new off AliExpress, all safe and well packed. Unfortunately they have a heavy channel imbalance. Left one plays much louder than right one on all my sources. Double checked it with other headphones. my hearing works perfectly.
I think, there is just the mids and/or highs not working correctly on the right side.
When I snip my finger on them, it makes a different noise top. Left one is a deeper sound, right one much lighter. I tried different cables, tips and changed from right to left. No, it‘s not my faulty hearing.

So, what to do now? They are unusable for me right now. I already contacted the shop support.. but hey, a 600 € headphone and a problem like this is not a good combination.

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #2,424 of 3,865
My Starlights arrived today, bought them new off AliExpress, all safe and well packed. Unfortunately they have a heavy channel imbalance. Left one plays much louder than right one on all my sources. Double checked it with other headphones. my hearing works perfectly.
I think, there is just the mids and/or highs not working correctly on the right side.
When I snip my finger on them, it makes a different noise top. Left one is a deeper sound, right one much lighter. I tried different cables, tips and changed from right to left. No, it‘s not my faulty hearing.

So, what to do now? They are unusable for me right now. I already contacted the shop support.. but hey, a 600 € headphone and a problem like this is not a good combination.
@WendyLi should be able to help you, that does not sound good at all.

Jun 3, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #2,426 of 3,865

That's very worrying. It shows that Starlight may have QC issues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back