TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
May 18, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #2,326 of 3,865
Folder.jpg

Fourplay
Sterling
Silver

FLAC 44.1 kHz
whoa... not aware about this album yet.... apparently I did not follow them for a long time.
fourplay is my favorite jam group... I always have Best of fourplay on my players.
Their music is so deceptive... categorized as smooth jazz, but underneath are so complex and rich of harmony textures... and only the masters could play so effortless like them...

please allow me to share Bob James 1st return album to acoustic piano (after exploring electric piano sounds for decades) such that become the milestone before he formed the fourplay...

Presenting... "Grand Piano Canyon"... all of original fourplay members collaborated first in this album before fourplay born..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Piano_Canyon

May 18, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #2,327 of 3,865
whoa... not aware about this album yet.... apparently I did not follow them for a long time.
fourplay is my favorite jam group... I always have Best of fourplay on my players.
Their music is so deceptive... categorized as smooth jazz, but underneath are so complex and rich of harmony textures... and only the masters could play so effortless like them...

please allow me to share Bob James 1st return album to acoustic piano (after exploring electric piano sounds for decades) such that become the milestone before he formed the fourplay...

Presenting... "Grand Piano Canyon"... all of original fourplay members collaborated first in this album before fourplay born..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Piano_Canyon

Thank you guys, @baskingshark and @dw1narso, a pleasure to hear those Fourplay pieces. Just thought I would share this live recording in Japan with my fellow Fourplay fans.

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #2,328 of 3,865
Thank you guys, @baskingshark and @dw1narso, a pleasure to hear those Fourplay pieces. Just thought I would share this live recording in Japan with my fellow Fourplay fans.

Thanks Chris :) :thumbsup: the recording is superb even though through YouTube... Just realized from Yamaha website that Bob James is lately a Yamaha ambassador... (I thought he played Kawai all the time)

EDIT: add the same song but when fourplay visited my country on 2011 for Java Jazz.. (so just 2 years before Japan visit)... cannot imagine he was 72 & 74 years old when touring at that time... But then Dave Grusin was 80 years old when he came for Java Jazz on 2013...

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #2,329 of 3,865
Thanks Chris :) :thumbsup: the recording is superb even though through YouTube... Just realized from Yamaha website that Bob James is lately a Yamaha ambassador... (I thought he played Kawai all the time)

EDIT: add the same song but when fourplay visited my country on 2011 for Java Jazz.. (so just 2 years before Japan visit)... cannot imagine he was 72 & 74 years old when touring at that time... But then Dave Grusin was 80 years old when he came for Java Jazz on 2013...

They are all getting on a bit, but long may they continue to make good music.

Also great to get to know the closet Jazz fans on Head-fi.

May 19, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #2,330 of 3,865

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 8.53.29 PM.png

👍🔥

May 19, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #2,331 of 3,865
So since I thought that would just straight up fry my poor IEMs I never tried running them through my Loxjie P20 balanced tube amp. Now I did and actually it works? It's not hissy at all compared with the ifi ZEN DAC.

However, my TRI-I3 don't sound anywhere as good off the Loxjie than they do off of my Shanling M6, where they just really, really shine.
So I guess I might really go for the Fiio BTR5 and a balanced 2.5mm cable... Which has the added bonus that I can just use whatever I have off of my laptop as well if need be...

But it also means I then have an extra, unused KBEAR 4.4mm MMCX connector cable. Which is dangerous because that might tempt me to get another pair of IEMs...

May 19, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #2,332 of 3,865
Are there any sales coming up on the Starsea? i always sit on the fence and then it is too late. I would love to pick up a sub-$100 deal on a Starsea. <hint> @WendyLi :wink:

May 19, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #2,334 of 3,865
So since I thought that would just straight up fry my poor IEMs I never tried running them through my Loxjie P20 balanced tube amp. Now I did and actually it works? It's not hissy at all compared with the ifi ZEN DAC.

However, my TRI-I3 don't sound anywhere as good off the Loxjie than they do off of my Shanling M6, where they just really, really shine.
So I guess I might really go for the Fiio BTR5 and a balanced 2.5mm cable... Which has the added bonus that I can just use whatever I have off of my laptop as well if need be...

But it also means I then have an extra, unused KBEAR 4.4mm MMCX connector cable. Which is dangerous because that might tempt me to get another pair of IEMs...
Fiio BTR5 would be powerful enough to drive the i3 properly.
I drive my i3 with FiiO Q5 at 70-80% volume. (Note: I use equalization very often and pre-amp at - (minus) 5-6 db. If the preamp is 0 (zero), I can listen to the music much louder.)
The i3's impedance is 15 Ohm
The Q5's output power is 240mW at 16Ω from the Balanced (2.5mm) output.
The BTR5's output power also about 240mW at 16Ω loaded from the Balanced (2.5mm) output. :)

https://www.fiio.com/btr5_parameters

May 19, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #2,335 of 3,865
Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #2,336 of 3,865
Thanks! I looked around and the KBear store had it for even cheaper. After all was said and done $106. My Starsea has been ordered. :ksc75smile: Do I get a special prize for being a member of the KBear owners club?
The prize is FUN or rather FUN is the prize.

Welcome to the club, the home of good tuning!

Tuning reins in the house of TRI. As @dharmasteve said, he has this mental image of an old man diligently tuning IEMs at TRI, that image has stuck in my mind with each TRI set I hear.

I hope you enjoy listening to your Starseas as much as I do.

May 19, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #2,338 of 3,865
Speaking of carbon design Softears RSV and MEST MKII is nicely done too👍 I think this is pretty standard trend of those high-ends. What I love is Softears RSV comes with IEM’s sleeves! Just a little extra but that is something worth to mention.

Love those little IEM sleeves, very very nice touch imo! For now I have these for when in transit... similar bags that I got from a custom keyboard keycap order.

I also purchased the 64 audio premium pelican case because it has nice separate space for each iem, cable, and accessories. i even asked them to not etch their logo on the front... might paint a TRI logo on the front idk yet.

Attachments

• 20210519_165442.jpg
    20210519_165442.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #2,339 of 3,865
The prize is FUN or rather FUN is the prize.

Welcome to the club, the home of good tuning!

Tuning reins in the house of TRI. As @dharmasteve said, he has this mental image of an old man diligently tuning IEMs at TRI, that image has stuck in my mind with each TRI set I hear.

I hope you enjoy listening to your Starseas as much as I do.
Thank you! I am looking forward to many enjoyable hours of music through my Starsea. (When it arrives. It is coming via standard shipping. Uh oh!)

May 19, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #2,340 of 3,865
Thank you! I am looking forward to many enjoyable hours of music through my Starsea. (When it arrives. It is coming via standard shipping. Uh oh!)
Welcome to the board👍 my IEM of the year 2021 so far:
Sub $50: KZ SKS
Sub $300: Starsea, Aria, Believe
Sub $600: Studio SA6, Dusk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back